Like us on Facebook


Follow us on Twitter





Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 71
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    3,581
    vCash
    1500

    Standing Predictions

    Atlantic:
    Bruins
    Lighting
    Habs
    Wings

    Leafs
    Panthers
    Sens
    Sabers

    Metro:
    Penguins
    Rangers
    Devils
    Jackets

    Capitals
    Flyers
    Islanders
    Canes

    Central:
    Hawks
    Blues
    Wild
    Stars
    Preds

    Avs
    Jets

    Pacfic:
    Ducks
    Kings
    Sharks

    Canucks
    Flames
    Coyotes
    Oilers


    The Central is stacked holy ****!!
    Travis Zajac #19

    GP 2
    G 2
    A 0
    P 2
    +/- +2
    Face off % 54.3
    SOG 7
    TOI 20:02

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    25,910
    vCash
    1000
    Look beyond your NJ bias and this is really good

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    6,193
    vCash
    2708
    Free Agency just started this week, give teams a chance.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    14,144
    vCash
    1500
    Nice try... replace NJ with Washington


    PAPI SMASH!

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    3,581
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by BranWingss View Post
    Look beyond your NJ bias and this is really good
    We barley missed the playoffs last year with losing all 13 shootouts. We will have Cory starting 65+ games, and got rid of one of the worst goalies in the past 2 years who played much more then he should have. We got rid of our worst defender in Volchenkov, and lost Fayne, but I'm pretty confident in Larsson to be able to fill the void at the very minimum. We also added a top line forward, and Havlat, who can turn out to be an absolute steal, or can end up being injured all year.
    Travis Zajac #19

    GP 2
    G 2
    A 0
    P 2
    +/- +2
    Face off % 54.3
    SOG 7
    TOI 20:02

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    3,581
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by j-bay View Post
    Nice try... replace NJ with Washington
    Devils have superior goaltending and defense.. Not to mention we have more then one line on offense..Offensively it goes

    1. Ovy
    2. Backstrom
    3-15. Devils Forwards
    16-26. Caps Forwards
    Last edited by jakub; 07-03-2014 at 08:22 PM.
    Travis Zajac #19

    GP 2
    G 2
    A 0
    P 2
    +/- +2
    Face off % 54.3
    SOG 7
    TOI 20:02

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    14,144
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by jakub View Post
    Devils have superior goaltending and defense.. Not to mention we have more then one line on offense..Offensively it goes

    1. Ovy
    2. Backstrom
    3-15. Devils Forwards
    16-26. Caps Forwards
    We were only 2 points out. We lost because of bad defense. Our defense is improved and Korn is our goalie coach.


    PAPI SMASH!

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    3,581
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by j-bay View Post
    We were only 2 points out. We lost because of bad defense. Our defense is improved and Korn is our goalie coach.
    If Devils won half of their shootouts, we'd be in.. With Marty splitting with Cory...
    Travis Zajac #19

    GP 2
    G 2
    A 0
    P 2
    +/- +2
    Face off % 54.3
    SOG 7
    TOI 20:02

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    3,581
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by kevin13697 View Post
    Free Agency just started this week, give teams a chance.
    All the good free agents are signed, barring any trades, this is what I got right now.
    Travis Zajac #19

    GP 2
    G 2
    A 0
    P 2
    +/- +2
    Face off % 54.3
    SOG 7
    TOI 20:02

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Bergen CO. NJ
    Posts
    4,344
    vCash
    1500
    -switch Preds and Avs
    -Love the optimism for NJ. I believe that they can make it but its a toss up between them and Philly for the 4th spot.
    Last edited by benzni; 07-06-2014 at 02:11 PM.
    King Remembered In Time
    New Jersey Devils/Brooklyn Nets/New York Yankees/New York Jets

    12/7/12 R.I.P Off-topic-forum amigo.

    Want to be President of PSD? Post here to enroll. No skills needed!
    http://forums.prosportsdaily.com/sho...ction-Nominees

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Bergen CO. NJ
    Posts
    4,344
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by jakub View Post
    If Devils won half of their shootouts, we'd be in.. With Marty splitting with Cory...
    This is so true.
    King Remembered In Time
    New Jersey Devils/Brooklyn Nets/New York Yankees/New York Jets

    12/7/12 R.I.P Off-topic-forum amigo.

    Want to be President of PSD? Post here to enroll. No skills needed!
    http://forums.prosportsdaily.com/sho...ction-Nominees

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    1,174
    vCash
    1500
    I'm not coming at you in any way, would just like some kind of analysis as to why you think the Flyers will fall below both the Devils and Washington. Again, not saying you're wrong, just wondering. As far as I'm concerned our division is a crap shoot at this point.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    3,581
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by FlyGuys89 View Post
    I'm not coming at you in any way, would just like some kind of analysis as to why you think the Flyers will fall below both the Devils and Washington. Again, not saying you're wrong, just wondering. As far as I'm concerned our division is a crap shoot at this point.
    Fair enough, that's the point of this thread, to discuss. I don't believe in Mason at all, and even if you think he can get the numbers he did last season, Cory's were better. The Flyers defense is always their weak point, and they continue to fail to upgrade it. While the Devils have one of the better defenses in the league, and we cut our worse defender. Alot will depend if Merril can keep up his very strong rookie season, and if Larsson/Gelinas can step up. If they do, our defense will be one of the best in the league, if not, it still should be above average. Then offense, Philly has a pretty good one, although I don't understand why they traded Hartnell for Umberger.. Devils upgraded offensively, adding a top line forward and a potentially another top 6 forward. Ryder also had a bad season to his standards, so a rebound is very possible. I think the Devils will do really well, obviously. I think WSH>PHI because the Caps improved defensively and I don't trust Mason again. I think it will be a very tight division, with the Pens being the only lock.
    Travis Zajac #19

    GP 2
    G 2
    A 0
    P 2
    +/- +2
    Face off % 54.3
    SOG 7
    TOI 20:02

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    1,174
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by jakub View Post
    Fair enough, that's the point of this thread, to discuss. I don't believe in Mason at all, and even if you think he can get the numbers he did last season, Cory's were better. The Flyers defense is always their weak point, and they continue to fail to upgrade it. While the Devils have one of the better defenses in the league, and we cut our worse defender. Alot will depend if Merril can keep up his very strong rookie season, and if Larsson/Gelinas can step up. If they do, our defense will be one of the best in the league, if not, it still should be above average. Then offense, Philly has a pretty good one, although I don't understand why they traded Hartnell for Umberger.. Devils upgraded offensively, adding a top line forward and a potentially another top 6 forward. Ryder also had a bad season to his standards, so a rebound is very possible. I think the Devils will do really well, obviously. I think WSH>PHI because the Caps improved defensively and I don't trust Mason again. I think it will be a very tight division, with the Pens being the only lock.
    Yea just wanted to put the disclaimer out there because many seem to get offended if you disagree, or ask why they view something a certain way.

    Now for the rebuttal!

    You make some very fair and valid points. Mason, at least to me, proved himself capable of performing at a high level consistently. He had his monster rookie season followed by mediocre-to-horrendous seasons thereafter. A change of scenery, a change of goalie coach, and a change of routine was enough to bring him back to form. The ability is there, but the mental aspect of being a goaltender in the NHL escaped him. He somehow found it when he got here and Jeff Reese has been amazing for him. I am a firm believer in him (I mean of course I am...it's the homer in me) and think he will put up at least the same numbers, if not better. And as for Cory Schneider, I think he's a solid #1 goalie. The problem is that you don't have a backup and it's pretty clear that Marty is moving on. Even if you resign him, he's a terrible goalie these days. It's important to have a good tandem in net, which the Devils do not have as of right now. Add on to that the fact that Cory put up better numbers than Mason, but also had a much better defense in front of him, and I think it all evens out. The Flyers struggle to play defense, but score a crap ton of goals. The Devils play stellar defense, but can't put the puck in the net. Camm and Havlat are decent additions, but I fear that both are declining. There's a reason teams rid themselves of such players and don't resign them. I would certainly have more faith in Camm, but I wouldn't put much stock in Havlat at all.

    You're spot on about the defense. It all hinges on Mark Streit and Timonen playing well at their age. Streit really came into his own at about the quarter mark of the season and was our best defender. If he can repeat that play and distribute the puck well, our defense will benefit from it greatly. Timonen I won't expect much from, but he's still capable of quarterbacking the PP, which he does very well, and can move the puck. Not to mention the fact that we have a few prospects that could potentially make the team out of camp and upgrade our defense from within. Shayne Gostisbehere has insane speed, puck moving ability, offensive prowess, and hockey IQ. I'm not sure if he'll make the team out of camp, but he's getting a shot. If he does it make our backend infinitely more mobile and quicker with better breakouts. Sam Morin grew an inch this past year and put on almost 20 lbs of muscle. If he makes the team out of camp (which I doubt he will, probably needs another season of seasoning) we'll add some more size with skating ability and some serious grit. He's a hard worker and will play well into Berube's system. I doubt he makes the team though. Then there's Robert Hagg, who would add some size, speed, strength, and puck moving ability. Leaves a little to be desired in the decision making category, but with the right pairing could be a strong asset. If any of those three make the team it also makes one of L Schenn or Grossmann expendable. More so Grossmann. Frees cap space, makes us faster, and please God just let Grossmann be traded.

    As for the Hartnell thing...it's hard to understand unless you really follow the Flyers. Hartnell is extremely inconsistent from game to game. He has stretches of greatness, but not very often. He is also only effective on the top line with Giroux. It was more a move geared toward the future of the team rather then a move for right now. Umberger is a much better skater, much better two-way player, and can play elsewhere in the lineup. He also takes about a third of the penalties Hartnell takes. Considering we lost both Downie and Hartnell, that's almost 200 penalty minutes exited, which is insane. We also added Bellemare, who is incredibly fast, great with stick handling, and can kill penalties very well. The addition of those two enables Giroux to be taken off of the penalty kill, therefore making him more effective at even strength. It worked last year for the stretch of time we experimented with it, however Zac Rinaldo on the PK was a disaster. We will also more than likely see Scott Laughton as our fourth line center. With him being flanked by Bellemare and Rinaldo we will have a very fast, hard hitting fourth line that has a little bit of scoring pop and would give most shutdown lines a run for their money. We will essentially have two different lines that can play against teams top lines effectively.

    As for the Caps, I firmly believe they made a mistake signing both Niskanen and Orpik to those contracts. Niskanen is a solid player, but not at that money or term. When you play with the likes of Sidney Crosby and Evgeni Malkin and have those type of players to distribute the puck to, you are bound to put up points. I am a firm believer that stats are severely inflated by playing with those two, and rightfully so. They're the best players in the world. Will Niskanen be able to reproduce that type of even strength production in Washington? I don't think so. Not with a group of forward that have no clue how to play defense. Orpik is going to be a disaster of a signing as well. Again, a solid defenseman, but not even close to worth what they're paying him. Because of Washington's inability to back check and defend it puts a lot of pressure on their defenseman and it will, once again, lead to their downfall.

    Here's the issue though...there is a lot of ifs surrounding the Flyers, and I completely understand that. I can't even make a prediction because there's only two things I know for certain. The Canes and Islanders will be fighting for last place. The Isles may be able to put up 3-4 goals per game, but they'll give up 5. My gosh what a horrendous defense they have... The rest is up in the air. A lot of ifs and a lot of question marks. If I had to take a guess....

    Flyers (purely because I'm a homer and believe all of the ifs will pan out)
    Blue Jackets
    Penguins
    Rangers
    Devils
    Capitals
    Islanders
    Hurricanes

    realistically:

    Penguins
    Blue Jackets
    Flyers
    Rangers
    Devils
    Capitals
    Islanders
    Hurricanes

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    4,168
    vCash
    2563
    Lol at hacob with the Devils over Caps ********
    "whoever started is a retardedd" - Marco Reus aka TO aka Karen aka Karan

    "Him and Greene make like not make a mistake" - Hacob

    "I love watching him, he just stands and bangs" - DIRK

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •