51. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

21 41.18%
  • No

30 58.82%
Page 1 of 30 12311 ... LastLast
    vCash

Why on Earth is there still no NL DH ?

This could literally be the dumbest rule in all of sports. Please, someone give me one good reason why both leagues aren't constructed the same. It's the equivalent of the NFL making NFC Punters line up at WR. Completely Absurd ... The old fashioned 20th century traditionalists better wake up before the sport is overtaken by soccer and hockey ...

vCash
    Mainly because NL pitchers are weaker than their AL counterparts and need a rest every 9th at-bat in order to get through a line-up.

I mean, good god, pitchers are hitting 0.125 with a 0.143 wOBA and a -18 wRC+.

What other explanation for this "tradition" is there, other than that NL pitchers are worse?

And I am only half kidding; Of the top 10-pitchers by fWAR only 2 are NL I believe…
    We’re pointing out that these statistics breed false narratives, and we value the truth. This isn’t about replacing old numbers with new numbers, or attempting to dissuade anyone from enjoying the aesthetics of the game. It is simply about telling the average fan about the reality of what actually happened on the field. The “Holy Trinity” of baseball statistics fail at this most basic task, and so they are not worth deifying any longer. - Dave Cameron

vCash
    Oh man this thread again

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by sexicano31 View Post
    Oh man this thread again
    Yep this again. Getting kinda silly watching Bart Colon and his fat *** swinging late on a 75 mph curveball ...

vCash
    OP you must write your Representative to get a bill passed through Congress immediately.

Just in case you don't know who your's is:

http://www.house.gov/representatives/find/

vCash
    DH shortstops and catchers too! I'm tired of these gritty white guys and fatsos trying to swing. Better yet, just make it 18 on 18 like football. That's what I want!

vCash
    Having a DH at Coors Field would be overpowering. Imagine guys like Dunn or Ortiz batting there.
    King Remembered In Time
    New Jersey Devils/Brooklyn Nets/New York Yankees/New York Jets

12/7/12 R.I.P Off-topic-forum amigo.

Want to be President of PSD? Post here to enroll. No skills needed!
    http://forums.prosportsdaily.com/sho...ction-Nominees

vCash
    I never really cared about the whole NL DH issue but with the way offense has tailed off in recent years I think the DH would be a welcomed addition.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by flea View Post
    DH shortstops and catchers too! I'm tired of these gritty white guys and fatsos trying to swing. Better yet, just make it 18 on 18 like football. That's what I want!
    This, let's see what happens when you really amp baseball up.

vCash
    Is the lack of a National League DH really so indefensible that it requires avoidance as an issue all together?

The DH allows aging hitters to retain value well past their ability to prove an asset in the field (think Ortiz) and removes what is otherwise a joke of a multi-million dollar pitcher attempting to hit.

For a comparison:
    AL DH: 0.245/0.316/0.319 wOBA/101 wRC+/19.3% K-Rate
    NL P: 0.128/0.158/0.147 wOBA/-16 wRC+/35.5% K-Rate

National League pitchers strike out more than any other position gets on base!

It is literally a break for NL Pitchers defended only on the grounds of tradition and one that makes little sense.
    We’re pointing out that these statistics breed false narratives, and we value the truth. This isn’t about replacing old numbers with new numbers, or attempting to dissuade anyone from enjoying the aesthetics of the game. It is simply about telling the average fan about the reality of what actually happened on the field. The “Holy Trinity” of baseball statistics fail at this most basic task, and so they are not worth deifying any longer. - Dave Cameron

vCash
    it's gonna happen, just be patient. Selig and the next Commish do not want to fix what is not broken. Baseball is having record amounts of money and with all the TV deal, they are going to stand pat on this one for at least 5 years i feel.

vCash
    It's only a matter of time with the amount of interleague play throughout the season now. It's patently absurd to have two leagues that play each other regularly maintain two different sets of rules. Could you imagine if the NBA had a three-point line in the East but none in the West? Or if the AFC played by CFL rules?

vCash
    I don't see how "they're not good at it" is a convincing argument. SSs are not good at hitting either, why stop at pitchers? If we want hitting, why not make the strike zone smaller so we can see guys hit .500? Why are we going to tell the good hitting pitchers that their skill doesn't mean anything because their peers are too bad at it? Do we do that with any other position?

If anything, the AL should eliminate the DH and make disgusting slobs like Ortiz try to field for 162 games.

vCash
    Ya know, some people prefer the NL style of play.

It's an opinion question. There is no right or wrong here. Usually people love or hate the DH based on what league their favorite team growing up played in.

I don't like the DH. 9 vs 9.

When does it stop and we start letting there be multiple DH's for multiple positions? And this becomes a speciality sport.

I'm against it, but I would prefer both leagues have the same rules and I imagine the DH will be added in the NL well before it could be dropped in the AL

vCash
    It would take years to phase out the DH because of contracts (Fielder/Pujols), so if it's going to be uniform, the NL is going to have to add it.

My idea-
    Add the DH to the NL, but phase out fulltime DH's over the next 10-15 years. By 2025, make a rule that no individual player can have more than, say, 16 plate appearances in innings 1-9, per week. So if it goes to extra innings, yeah, he can keep DHing and it wouldn't go against his total. But really, it would mean no individual can start more than 4 games a week at DH.

It would give more position players at-bats, and it would eliminate the aging slugger that can't field a position at least a few times a week.

Page 1 of 30 12311 ... LastLast