Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

vCash

SacBee: Don't be surprised if the Kings call Grevis Vazquez

With restricted free agent Isaiah Thomas being pursued by several teams the Kings face the possibility of second-year guard Ray McCallum as the starting point guard entering camp.

The Kings like McCallum, but donít appear ready to turn the team over to him, hence their interest in point guards in the draft and free agency.

And even if Thomas is back, the Kings wouldnít mind returning Thomas to a reserve role while a another point guard facilitates to start games.

That brings us back to Greivis Vasquez, who is a restricted free agent.

Vasquez was a King last season and the team worked on a contract extension early in the season. The sides didnít reach an agreement, but both were positive in their thinking that a deal would be reached in the offseason.

Then Vasquez was traded to Toronto as part of the Rudy Gay deal.

Vasquez, who was overcoming an offseason ankle injury limped through parts of the preseason and averaged 9.8 points and 5.3 assists before the trade.

Vasquez averaged 9.5 points and 3.7 assists in 61 games with the Raptors but played his best down the stretch as his ankle became stronger.

Vasquez averaged 12.4 points and shot 46.6 percent (44.8 percent on three pointers) in 30 games after the All-Star break backing up Kyle Lowry.

Lowry is an unrestricted free agent.

Vasquez is a fan of Kings coach Michael Malone and the Kings might be able to persuade Vasquez to return for a contract similar to the one Livingston reportedly agreed to (three years, $16 million).

Vasquez enjoyed his time in Toronto, but the opportunity to start might sell Vasquez on a return to Sacramento.

Vasquez will likely wait to see what happens with Lowry before deciding on signing an offer sheet or reaching an agreement with Toronto.

The Raptors can match any offer sheet Vasquez signs with another team.

Still, donít be surprised if the Kings call him.
    http://www.sacbee.com/2014/07/01/652...-consider.html

I think Grevis is a very good plan B or C. What say you?
    #3in5

<3
    "[He's] a really complete player... There's not really any weaknesses to his game." - Bill Belichick on Andrew Luck
    "Vontae Davis looks like Bumgarner of the San Francisco Giants. He's throwing a no hitter out there tonight" - Jon Gruden

vCash
    Sure. I just wish I knew what the Kings can offer him.

vCash
    Us bringing him could depend on Lowry. If he goes back to the Raps they would be more inclined to not match an offer.

vCash
    I don't mind Vazquez, but I wouldn't understand the signing. If Vazquez gets the same deal as Livinston, then he'll make about $5.3 million per season. IT is projecting at about $8 million per year. I think it would be worth it to kick in the extra $2.7 million and hang onto IT.

vCash
    Only way it makes sense if we then sign and trade IT for josh smith or another big man. Greivas' outside shooting would be a better fit on our team than rondo. I know rondo is the better player, but he could be a one year rental- or command a high salary...

vCash

SacBee: Don't be surprised if the Kings call Grevis Vazquez

^ if Pete and Vivek don't think Rondo will resign, then Vasquez is a good plan B. Rondo is a better defender and more athletic than Vasquez but still Vasquez having 3 good-great scorers plus if stauskas or McLemore could shot 38%+ from 3, that's a solid team

vCash
    i think vasquez would kill it at your local rec center, but id be very down loosing IT and getting vasquez! id rather start McCallum . Vasquez looked bad on the kings, and no excuses! lets trade for that rookie Payton! if anything.

vCash
    I'd much rather match an $8M/yr offer for Isaiah.
    2014 Adopt-a-Packer: Micah Hyde

vCash
    Pay Isaiah...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by FarOutIos View Post
    Only way it makes sense if we then sign and trade IT for josh smith or another big man. Greivas' outside shooting would be a better fit on our team than rondo. I know rondo is the better player, but he could be a one year rental- or command a high salary...
    I agree with this entire post.
    #3in5

<3
    "[He's] a really complete player... There's not really any weaknesses to his game." - Bill Belichick on Andrew Luck
    "Vontae Davis looks like Bumgarner of the San Francisco Giants. He's throwing a no hitter out there tonight" - Jon Gruden

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Kyle916 View Post
    Pay Isaiah...
    My thoughts exactly.

I don't miss Vasquez. I would rather see McCallum start and us pick up a back-up vet.

vCash
    We have our backup vet in Terry though.

Assuming we don't move him.
    He's a solid backup vet Zeb.

vCash
    I keep forgetting about terry... He should have some trade value with a contender...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by FarOutIos View Post
    I keep forgetting about terry... He should have some trade value with a contender...
    I hope so. Maybe he'd be a good vet presence for our young SGs, but I've honestly just never liked Terry at all. I'd love to trade him and get something decent back.
    2014 Adopt-a-Packer: Micah Hyde

vCash
    Yeah, I want to trade him as well, but he is a vet lol.