Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    vCash

Ranking 32 NFL QBs by tier - ESPN Insider Cutler @ 17 Tier 3

Mike Sando - ESPN Insider

Asked 26 league insiders to grade every projected starting quarterback on a 1-5 scale, with "one" reserved for the best and "five" for the worst. Eight general managers, two former GMs, four pro personnel evaluators, seven coordinators, two head coaches, two position coaches and a top executive participated, attacking the project with gusto almost across the board.

The result of the polling is a composite ranking of all 32 NFL starting quarterbacks, and an understanding of how some of the league's most important evaluators separate the best from the rest at the position. With their input, we were able to compile an average rating of each QB, to rank them in a 1-32 pecking order, and to divide the starters into general tiers. I've passed along insights from voters when applicable.

17. Jay Cutler, Chicago Bears (2.62 average rating)

I thought Cutler would fall into the second tier based on his talent, but 16 of the 26 voters put him in the third. They lamented Cutler's inconsistency, poor mechanics, proclivity for turnovers and abbreviated postseason résumé.

A few evaluators thought Cutler took a step forward last season and could progress further now that the Bears' offensive line has stabilized. "For me, it's all about how impactful a player can be on game day," one GM said, defending Cutler. "The reason Cutler is not a one is because he is too up and down. But you talk about a guy that can beat you with his arm, and how many in the league can do it better than him? Now he finally has a line in front of him, he has more than one receiver. So, there is no way he is a three, in my opinion."

The Bears' failure to protect Cutler in past seasons arguably justified what some have seen as the QB's negative body language. "I don't know the kid," a defensive coordinator said. "I like him as a player. He runs their offense very well, he can make any throw, I think he has some toughness to him, some cockiness to him. He is as good as Matt Ryan. He's a two."
    Feel free to discuss - as a comparison, in front of Cutler at #16 is Cam Newton

vCash
    I wonder what they pay insiders to spew their ********.

vCash
    regarding the evaluation ... I can't really argue, this is more a compilation of GM's, coaches and talent evaluators

BUT in terms of success, I do the comment of his OL being stabilized is true and attributes to his success last year as comparison to previous

vCash
    Russell Wilson Flacco Kaperneck stafford and foles all ahead of him is amusing

vCash
    I can kind of see an argument for Flacco, but the rest are ****ing lulzworthy. Jay's always going to **** on as a whiny pouty ***** faced douche.

vCash
    He simply turns the ball over too much to ever be regarded in the top half.
    Alshon's Athletic Bloodlines Run Deep (AND CATCH EVERYTHING)

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by db75 View Post
    I can kind of see an argument for Flacco, but the rest are ****ing lulzworthy. Jay's always going to **** on as a whiny pouty ***** faced douche.
    Well until he wins a few more playoff games and hopefully a SB.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by db75 View Post
    Biggest thing going unnoticed in these rankings.

A LOT of it seems to have to do with personality.

It's why I think Luck is so high, Cam, Kap, Cutler so low. Part of it anyways.

I don't have Insider but Sando was on Cowherd and he talked about some things said about Jay, and it was something like

"Coaches aren't fond of him, half the locker room loves him to death, half can't stand him"

Something like that. Not saying that's true but it seems they voted pretty heavily on their view of a player's personality and intangible qualities.

Which I kind of like since that's lost on fans 99% of the time.

vCash
    Oh, i agree with that 100%. I just don't like ranking based on an old perception of Jay. It's like saying BMarsh is a thug now.

vCash
    Bust

our future

vCash
    Jay needs to be healthy for a full season, then he'll show just how ridiculous this ranking is. Can't wait to see the offense this year.
    Quote Originally Posted by d00d View Post
    Laurence Holmes made a strong case for 0 - 6 before you say no way you should hear him

vCash
    Foles was in Tier 2, wasn't he?

I thought that was a pretty bad one. There's no way that what he did last year can carry over to this season. He'll still put up good numbers, but he's not going to have a historically great INT% again. Stafford being ahead of Jay is comical too...he's been nothing but inconsistent since 2011 and is only piling up passing yards based on volume alone.

I don't think Brady belongs in Tier 1 any longer either. His WR's sucked hard last year, sure, but he can hardly throw a deep ball anymore and I can't imagine that'll improve at his age.
    Last edited by DamnGoat; 07-04-2014 at 04:17 AM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by mikebrez bears/ View Post
    Bust
    Paea is a DT.

vCash

vCash
    Jay hasn't consistently demonstrated what his potential would project. Until then he will be continually ranked in the middle of the pack. His attitude of "not caring" may be loved by Bears fans but hated by others, does not endear to most.

With the team Jay is surrounded with, the line in front of him, the weapons at his disposal, and the coaching genius of Trestman, Jay should have his best year as a Bear and his ranking should move up.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast