Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

vCash

ESPN projects the Colts starting defense

INDIANAPOLIS -- Consistency.

That’s what the Indianapolis Colts need out of their defense this season. They need more performances like they had against the Kansas City Chiefs in the regular season and less of the performances they had against St. Louis, Arizona and New England.

The Colts defense, which finished 20th in the league last season, continues to lag behind the offense. That has to change this season. The unit must close the gap between them and the offense.

We looked at the offensive starters Monday. Here’s a look at the projected defensive starters.

Defensive line:

Cory Redding, Art Jones, Ricky Jean Francois

Comment: Jones and his likely backup at tackle, Josh Chapman, should help improve a defense up the middle that finished 26th in the league in stopping the run last season.

Linebacker:

Bjoern Werner, Jerrell Freeman, D'Qwell Jackson, Erik Walden

Comment: Robert Mathis, the NFL’s sack leader last season, will eventually end up starting once he returns from his four-game suspension. Werner will have to hold down the position while Mathis is out.

Cornerback:

Vontae Davis, Greg Toler

Comment: Davis and Toler have the potential to be a successful tandem at cornerback. But that’s only if Davis doesn’t have lapses like he had last season and Toler can remain healthy.

Safety:

LaRon Landry, Mike Adams

Comment: Landry was a disappointment last season. He has to commit himself to being an all-around safety, not one more worried about making the big hit.
    http://espn.go.com/blog/indianapolis...nsive-starters

Only surprise is RJF over Chapman... I think RJF's versatility would help most as a reserve subbing for all 3 guys.
    "We earned this ****ing burn. It doesn’t matter how you get from A to B. Our goal at the beginning of this ****ing season is to win a ****ing World Series, and guess what, boys, we’re going to the ****ing dance." - The Reverend Hunter Pence

#3in5

<3
    "[He's] a really complete player... There's not really any weaknesses to his game." - Bill Belichick on Andrew Luck

vCash
    I hope Werner can improve enough to replace Walden when Mathis gets back.

vCash
    I personally think Chapman starts at NT and Jones plays that DE spot on the strong side that is labeled DT in most 3-4 hybrid schemes since he is the one to kick inside if they go with a 4 man front, and not the NT position they have him slotted at. RJF will most likely be the first rotational guy in, unless age starts catching up with Redding and they need to move him to that 1st depth end.
    Last edited by matthollabak; 07-03-2014 at 12:44 PM.

vCash
    I agree Matt.
    "We earned this ****ing burn. It doesn’t matter how you get from A to B. Our goal at the beginning of this ****ing season is to win a ****ing World Series, and guess what, boys, we’re going to the ****ing dance." - The Reverend Hunter Pence

#3in5

<3
    "[He's] a really complete player... There's not really any weaknesses to his game." - Bill Belichick on Andrew Luck

vCash
    I think Howell starts over Adams at safety.

Lucks on our side

vCash
    I would have guessed that Chapman would start at NT. I hadn't even heard of the other guys before I read this lol.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by DR_1 View Post
    I would have guessed that Chapman would start at NT. I hadn't even heard of the other guys before I read this lol.
    Well the training camp day 1 1st team Defensive line was Redding - Chapman - Jones... so I think Chapman has a shot.

#3in5

<3

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by sfgiants1213 View Post
    Well the training camp day 1 1st team Defensive line was Redding - Chapman - Jones... so I think Chapman has a shot.
    Just like we thought Screw you ESPN