Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

View Poll Results: Who wins the AFC North this season?

Voters
10. You may not vote on this poll
  • Bengals

4 40.00%
  • Browns

3 30.00%
  • Ravens

2 20.00%
  • Steelers

1 10.00%
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    vCash

2014 AFC North Discussion and Predictions

A thread to discuss the AFC North and only teams in the AFC North.

Cincinnati Bengals
    Cleveland Browns
    Baltimore Ravens
    Pittsburgh Steelers

Who do you see winning the division? How do you envision each team's top draft pick performing this season? Who will have the best Offense and who will have the best Defense? Any predictions or bold predictions you'd like to share?

The AFC North plays the AFC South and NFC South this season.

vCash
    This division is a damn coin toss. All four teams match up so well against each other and are on the same tier in terms of talent. If I'm going to pick a team, I will go with the Bengals. But no team would surprise me from the AFC North, will be great to follow. Pulling for Cleveland though, I want to see them succeed like most others do.

Best offense: Baltimore Ravens
    Best defense: Cincinnati Bengals
    Last edited by Seahawker562; 07-02-2014 at 01:33 PM.
    Seattle Seahawks Seattle Mariners Los Angeles Clippers Anaheim Ducks

Tweet me @Spencerrw3
    Go Hawks

vCash
    When it comes to Dalton, I think the questions surrounding him will be even louder by the end of the season. McCarron got drafted in a good situation.

I predict both Ryan Shazier and C.J. Mosley have good rookie years and the Steelers and Ravens will be expecting great things from them in year 2.

vCash
    Manziel already has this wrapped up.

vCash
    Told everyone last year the Steelers were not going to be that great of a team and a lot of change was needed…. well that change happened. I do believe they will win the division this year. That D maybe not this year, probably next year.. is the fastest D in the league. And they definitely have the fastest set of WRs in the league. They're gonna blaze opposing teams turf surfaces… (we will see about Heinz )

vCash
    What change is that?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Austeezy View Post
    I predict both Ryan Shazier and C.J. Mosley have good rookie years and the Steelers and Ravens will be expecting great things from them in year 2.
    I'm sure Shazier will be better than what we had last year, but it will probably start ugly. I know Steelers fans whine and complain about not playing young players, but those young players last year were one of the main factors for the defensive collapse from where they were the previous few seasons. Last year the problem was that the defense was too young, not too old. Granted 34 year old Ryan Clark was the other big liability but his problems were mental, taking himself out of position and biting on phantom underneath routes like an overeager younger player would do. Rather than declining physical ability due to old age.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by HoodedSB View Post
    What change is that?
    The two main problems were FS Ryan Clark and ILB Vince Williams. They were addressed with Mike Mitchell, their day 1 prize free agent signing, and Ryan Shazier, their 1st round draft pick.

Clark was a 34 year old who just flew out of position like an idiot. I'm so glad he's gone. Everyone blames the Steelers cornerbacks, even the beloved PFF, but it was obviously Clark and the safeties (not Polamalu since he spent an unfortunate amount of time essentially playing linebacker, which I'll get to in a second) that just left their CBs on islands that they didn't expect to be on. Clark hit free agency and there was absolutely no effort to bring him back, which is more than justifiable.

Mitchell finally played well once he was away from Oakland (no offense). I forget if it was War or Seneca, but one of you guys said that a scout buddy of yours said they had defined Mitchell as "prime Ryan Clark," but with speed. Mitchell should take some time to acclimate to the defense but his speed should prevent an unfortunate play from going from bad to worse, unlike what Clark could (or couldn't) do last year.

Vince Williams was a 6th round rookie forced to start because Larry Foote, who was also the play/adjustment caller for the entire defense, was lost for the season in the first game. It was by no means Foote's physical ability that was missed, but rather the fact that he was the QB of the defense. THAT is what was missed.

Williams is a two down run stopper. He would have actually been ok...if this was the NFL from 10-20 years ago and beyond. I actually thought they were going to draft a CB and build around Williams as the BUCK for the future, as evidenced by them releasing Foote a solid two months before the draft. But the Bears took Fuller with the 14th pick, so we took Ryan Shazier with the 15th pick. Williams' lack of experience took him out of position, and lack of coverage ability took him off the field on passing downs. I thought an extra CB would make sub packages more bearable, but we ended up with Shazier, who has the speed of some CBs anyway. Last year Polamalu played up more when Williams came off the field, now he can stay back since we now have a fast linebacker who does have some coverage experience.

The addition of Shazier is like the addition of Mitchell. Shazier is still a rookie like Williams was last year, still in his first year with the team like Mitchell, but Shazier's rumored 4.35 speed will help him make up for the mistakes more than Williams' low 4.7 or slower speed.

vCash
    I really wanted to keep him but salaries were out of control at that point and the entire team basically needed to be gutted. Out of him and Huff he was the one I wanted to keep but that was the 40 mill dead cap offseason if I'm not mistaken. I didn't realize shazier was so fast, 4.35 for a linebacker is blazing.

vCash
    The Bengals will probably be able to edge it out again this season.
    Nothing to see here, move along.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by HoodedSB View Post
    I really wanted to keep him but salaries were out of control at that point and the entire team basically needed to be gutted. Out of him and Huff he was the one I wanted to keep but that was the 40 mill dead cap offseason if I'm not mistaken. I didn't realize shazier was so fast, 4.35 for a linebacker is blazing.
    Well...4.36 unofficially at his pro day so I'm taking some liberties, but yeah he's known for being very fast.

I'm glad you're speaking highly of Mitchell even with his Oakland days. I honestly don't know what to expect from him. I've heard good things about him from his season in Carolina, but normally I don't trust long term contracts with one year wonders who play well on that one year contract. But with someone like Mitchell, who had a chance his contract year with Oakland but still (presumably) didn't earn more than what Carolina gave him in terms of both money and length, I trust him a bit more since that kind of growth usually means it finally did start to click for him. Rather than just playing for a pay day.

vCash
    He played really well on ST, never got much opportunity to play S in oakland because the coaching staff thought higher of Huff and Branch, but he def proved to be a capable starter in carolina.

vCash
    Fair enough. We need special teams help which is why we signed Darrius Heyward-Bey and Brice McCain, rather than for them to play receiver or CB respectively. But I doubt we'd put a starter -much less, given how the season went and who he's replacing, our savior- on special teams at all.

vCash
    Oh lol that's not what I was saying at all. I thought he had promise at the time, even if it was mostly from hard hits and good tackling on ST. He had some opportunities when huff got hurt here and there and looked solid at S.

vCash
    Brownies, with Hoyer under center.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast