Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    vCash

Boyle a good add, but Rangers still a work in progress

This was a pretty good day for the Rangers, who didn’t come away quite whole after the opening of the free agent market but who sure had a whole lot better July 1 than they would have if Dan Boyle hadn’t taken a whole lot less to come to Broadway than he could have gotten from at least three other teams.

Three months before the season commences, eight months prior to the trade deadline and 11 months until the 2015 Stanley Cup finals, the Rangers don’t appear nearly strong enough down the middle to compete with the likes of Los Angeles, Anaheim, St. Louis or Chicago. But there’s time to address that.

The free agent exchange of outgoing Brian Boyle (to Tampa Bay) for incoming Tanner Glass (from Pittsburgh) weakened the fourth-line by a measurable degree, and the departure of top nine winger Benoit Pouliot (to Edmonton) has left at least a temporary void on one of the Rangers’ scoring lines. There is time to address that, too.

So yes, there is work to be done between now and next April and everyone knows that. But the Blueshirts were hardly mortally wounded Tuesday either on their roster or under the salary cap. They probably did not lose ground to Boston or Pittsburgh or anyone else in the East.

Retaining Dominic Moore, the fourth-line engine, penalty killer and faceoff artist, and who stayed for less at $1.5 million per for two seasons than he would have received to flee, represented a very important signing for the Blueshirts.

But it was the addition of righty defenseman and power play point man Boyle — who, true, is going to be 38 next month and not 28 and is joining the Blueshirts in 2014 and not 2004, when he was an integral part of Tampa Bay’s Stanley Cup championship team — that saved the day.

Two years at $4.5 million per season for a such a player constitutes a bargain in an environment in which Nikita Nikitin got the very same deal from Edmonton; Brooks Orpik got five years at $5.5 million per from Washington; Anton Stralman got five years at $4.5 million per from Tampa Bay after initially asking for considerably more than that to remain in New York; and, astonishingly, Deryk Engelland received three years at $2.9 million per from the always fiscally responsible Brian Burke and Calgary.

And it’s not just the number, not just the talent — explosive, game-changing talent when at his peak — that combine to make this Boyle’s addition a coup.

It’s this, as articulated by George Bazos, Boyle’s agent, in a phone conversation within an hour of his client’s signing: “We told teams [during the five-day interview period preceding Tuesday] that if the Rangers made an offer, the decision wasn’t going to be about money.”

The Islanders, who had obtained Boyle’s rights from San Jose last month, offered three years and $15 million. The Red Wings offered three years at $12.5 million. The Sabres are believed to have come in with what essentially would be described a blank check.

And yet Boyle went with his heart. Nearly every free agent who talks about wanting to play in New York also want the biggest paycheck in order to come here. Notably, Wayne Gretzky took less and so did Brendan Shanahan. Now, Boyle, who has always wanted to play for the Rangers and now gets to rejoin his old partner Marty St. Louis.

Boyle, who will slide into Stralman’s vacated spot on Marc Staal’s right side on the second pair, struggled at times last season, recording 36 points (12-24) with some dicey possession numbers. But he sustained a concussion in October—from which there were no lingering after-effects on the ice—and then played a substantial number of games with a broken thumb leading into the Olympic recess.

His ability to skate and gain the zone on the power play will be invaluable for this team that had entry issues throughout the season and in the playoffs. Boyle shoots the puck. And he competes and is driven. For two years, the signing was a slam-dunk.

There is work to be done and not all that much available space with which to do it; about $15 million with which to take care of restricted free agents Derick Brassard, Chris Kreider, Mats Zuccarello and John Moore and also fill in the remaining blanks.

But the Rangers were not hurt on Tuesday. They lost neither their credibility nor their abili
    ty to compete. Much of that is owed to Dan Boyle’s desire to wear the Blueshirt.
    http://nypost.com/2014/07/01/brad-ri...th-blackhawks/

vCash

Boyle a good add, but Rangers still a work in progress

That opening sentence hurts my head... It's too early for ****** writing like that sly.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by J4KOP99 View Post
    That opening sentence hurts my head... It's too early for ****** writing like that sly.
    LOL you are right. That was pretty bad.

vCash
    It's good to see players take less to play for the Rangers. Boyle must have wished and envisioned himself finishing experiencing what it is like playing for the Rangers. His career is dwindling down, but it's good to see a player who ultimately only wanted to be a Ranger.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by JdKing7 View Post
    It's good to see players take less to play for the Rangers. Boyle must have wished and envisioned himself finishing experiencing what it is like playing for the Rangers. His career is dwindling down, but it's good to see a player who ultimately only wanted to be a Ranger.
    Not only less money but less years. Many players just follow the $$$ and I can understand that to a degree but its always nice to see a guy that really wants to be here. Funny that the Isles were willing to pay a 5th round pick just to negotiate and he still declined their offer.

vCash
    Brooks is an old fart who is fascinated with certain players. He wanted Boyle here for years. Rangers will have to trade for a forward now. I hope that Sather doesn't do anything stupid with a win now at all cost mentality. Try to win now. Just don't do it if the cost is idiotic.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by cespedesrules View Post
    Brooks is an old fart who is fascinated with certain players. He wanted Boyle here for years. Rangers will have to trade for a forward now. I hope that Sather doesn't do anything stupid with a win now at all cost mentality. Try to win now. Just don't do it if the cost is idiotic.
    I think Slats is going to surprise by waiting things out and picking up good pieces on the cheap -- both salary cap and compensation-wise. From everything I have heard him say, it seems he is very much tuned in to the new wonderful now of today's salary cap. Game has changed, rules have changed.
    "There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. A high powered mutant of some kind, never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die."

vCash
    http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog/Paul-...f40_hI.twitter

This is a very good read on Dan Boyle from a very outside perspective. Not often you will find a great piece on hbuzz but I definitely recommend it.
    New York Rangers - Atlanta Braves - New York Giants - Kobe Bryant

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by redwhiteandblue View Post
    http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog/Paul-...f40_hI.twitter

This is a very good read on Dan Boyle from a very outside perspective. Not often you will find a great piece on hbuzz but I definitely recommend it.
    That was a great article. Thanks for posting it. Paul Stewart had a up close view of the game as a player and a ref.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Il Mostro View Post

From everything I have heard him say, it seems he is very much tuned in to the new wonderful now of today's salary cap. Game has changed, rules have changed.
    Sather speaks about being frugal only after he's spent like a drunken sailor and puts himself in a financial bind. His free wheel spending forced the breakup up the Tortorella team which almost won the President's Trophy and has to be real careful not to handicap this team which already lost some nice pieces.

IMO, he waits until the arbitration hearings are over before making any moves. Will he be frugal going forward is the question to be answered by actions.

"We have been watching and waiting, but I wouldn't say we intend to continue to do that. I think you watch and wait to try and assess a situation and act accordingly. It might involve more waiting. It might involve moving in one direction or another. We've done plenty of watching and waiting. If we can move in a particular direction, we might do that."

Sandy Alderson: 2011.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by NYSPORTS98 View Post
    Sather speaks about being frugal only after he's spent like a drunken sailor and puts himself in a financial bind. His free wheel spending forced the breakup up the Tortorella team which almost won the President's Trophy and has to be real careful not to handicap this team which already lost some nice pieces.

IMO, he waits until the arbitration hearings are over before making any moves. Will he be frugal going forward is the question to be answered by actions.

I was hoping he would have steped down by now

vCash
    Sather will do some deals after the rfa's are signed but the problem is thay nobody of any value will likely be left by then. What we will be signing is projects, and while his projects worked out well last year in Pouliot and Moore he is playing with fire if he feels that he can do that every year or if he feels Fast, Miller and Kristo have suddendly turned into Richards, Pouliot and Boyle. One of those guys might be ready in a complimentary role but this team right now is spread really thin.

vCash
    It may be risky but it's honestly the best move we have stop-gap wise. I actually just got done posting about Heatley in this regard, we would be smart to try and set up another Pouliot-esque scenario and let them and the kids let the chips fall where they may.
    New York Rangers - Atlanta Braves - New York Giants - Kobe Bryant

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by redwhiteandblue View Post
    It may be risky but it's honestly the best move we have stop-gap wise. I actually just got done posting about Heatley in this regard, we would be smart to try and set up another Pouliot-esque scenario and let them and the kids let the chips fall where they may.
    My personal picks for this team would be Stepniak and Roy if we could get them cheap. I think Stepniak could be a legit #2 Lw and if not he is comforable in lower lines. Roy would be a nice compliment to St.Louis and say Kreider maybe.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by bsi View Post
    My personal picks for this team would be Stepniak and Roy if we could get them cheap. I think Stepniak could be a legit #2 Lw and if not he is comforable in lower lines. Roy would be a nice compliment to St.Louis and say Kreider maybe.
    But at what cost- Stepniak to drop Hags or Kreider, to 3rd line? Their speed is worthy of top 6 comparatively, and it would just drop a guy like Miller or Fast to 4th line where they don't get enough minutes. Roy would be a nice compliment I agree, but he's small, doesn't hit, and would do same of dropping Brassard, Miller, Moore etc. to roles that aren't worth it. We should save the money and roll the dice, let the team grow. Interestingly if they played a full year, Fast was projected more hits than Stepniak, and I think he could produce similar O if given time. Miller same far far more hits than Step and guy like Roy, and don't think offense would take a big hit putting Miller on 3rd line.

Penner has size and some scoring ability, but that would require NYR pairing him with top guys, no need to do that, would rather keep guys with speed in the lineup, with good attitudes, and that have some upside. Miller would work harder and hit more than Penner too. If injuries, we had trust in guys like Miller and Fast in the playoffs for a reason.

Kreider - Step - Nash
    Hags - Brass - Zucc
    Fast/Kristo - Moore/Miller/Lindberg - MSL
    Glass/Fast- Moore/Miller/Lindberg - M/M/L (Carcillo)

Considering the budget problems, I don't see a problem with that roster, obviously lines can be changed that's just how i listed em. If they can get Roy for cheap short contract to fill in as 3rd line C then I'd go for it. I just like the ideas of confidence in the kids so they can grow, keeping more $ available for a top line center to bolster depth down the middle. Kreider and Hags I thought when healthy were some of our best forwards, so feel they are still deserving of top 6. I hope Fast and Miller can develop once given time and confidence like Kredier did after Tortorella. Miller put up close to Roy type numbers comparing AHL stats, and he has more size, and Fast did with Stepniak, just time to lets the kids grow. It's tough we are in this situation because of contracts, but it is what it is. with speed of Kreider/Hags, experience of Nash/MSL, talent of Step/Brass (wish we had a guy like Getzlaf or Kopitar above), we have a nice top 6 in place, with Glass, Moore, and hopefully Carcillo filling out the 4th, I'm glad Sather isn't panicking
    Last edited by B-West.Joba; 07-12-2014 at 11:56 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast