Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    vCash

How would anthony's game fit in Houston?

Hypothetically let's say Morey gets his man. How would Anthony's game fit in Houston on the offensive and defensive end? How would Parsons be used? Who's the primary scorer Anthony or Harden? I'd imagine the team would need a better system than we saw last year.

vCash
    On paper, small-ball with Anthony at 4 and Parsons at 3.

Harden would have a lot less responsability, but it would work just fine as both are tremendous shooters.

The thing I keep picturing is Anthony and Harden together. How many teams have two great defensive wings? There are plenty of teams that don't have one. And then you add Parsons, and you have the most dangerous offense in the league.

On defense, you would rely a lot more on Howard. Obviously Anthony can't handle big time PFs like Love or Aldridge, but he can do just fine agaisnt smaller 4s, and there are more and more teams playing small nowadays. And he's become such a good rebounder.
    Rockets | Texans | Astros

vCash
    I don't like Melo at 4. I'd much rather see him play his natural position and trade parsons for another piece. He's really isn't needed with Melo on the team IMO.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by AIverson View Post
    I don't like Melo at 4. I'd much rather see him play his natural position and trade parsons for another piece. He's really isn't needed with Melo on the team IMO.
    I hate to break it to you, but you're wrong. Anthony played nearly two-thirds of his minutes at PF last season, according to 82games.com and 80% of his minutes at the 4 two seasons ago. Those two seasons just happen to coincide with the two best statistical seasons of his career by a WIDE margin. So maybe SF isn't his "natural position," but he's always been a small ball 4 just waiting to find the right system.

vCash
    As edu said, Melo would be an ideal small ball 4 who can score from anywhere, stretch teams out to get Dwight room in the paint and Harden room to work on the perimeter. He can take traditional PFs off the dribble with ease and outmuscle regular perimeter defenders in the post. Offensively, he's one of the most unguardable players on the planet and the development of his 3-point shot and rebounding makes him one of the deadliest stretch 4s the league has ever seen.

He's proven through his time with Team USA that he can play more off the ball and hit set shots from time to time. But he's also more than capable of taking over in crunch time and with three potential elite scorers on the roster and a fourth well above average scorer, a lot of players would get open looks and easy baskets in this offense with Melo.

Would Houston struggle at times defensively? Sure. But they struggled at times last year, and I honestly don't think Terrence Jones is a better defensive option at the 4 at this stage in his career. Howard and Beverley would be burdened with the defensive load just like they were last season, but this would not be a worse defensive team next year with Melo than it was last season with Jones. Also, traditional PFs might abuse Melo on the low block, but Melo would abuse them on the perimeter AND there are much fewer low post 4s in the league today than there were 10-15 years ago. Melo would do much better defensively on Aldridge and Love 15 feet from the basket than he would do with Malone and Barkley on the low block.

Finally, having Melo on the roster provides Houston with tremendous versatility. Since Melo can play the 3, Parsons won't have to play as many minutes. And with Melo's offensive game, you don't have to play Harden or Dwight as many minutes either to carry the offensive load. You can play those four guys 33-35 minutes a game all season long and still top 60 wins as long as everyone stays relatively healthy.

Everyone keeps focusing on what Melo isn't and needs to start focusing on what Melo is and what he could be for this team. Adding Carmelo Anthony would bring this team FAR closer to an NBA championship than it could without him.

vCash
    I don't doubt him offensively playing PF, but what about when it's time to guard people? The western conference has some damn good Players at the position. I don't know how realistic it is to come out of west with Melo at PF. With Harden on the team, I just can't see them being good enough defensively with this line up. I'm pulling for Melo to win a ring, and I think his best chance is Houston. Melo/Harden/Howard is a championship core IMO and I would hate to see it go to waste on a more regular season based offensive team. It's a knock on Melo at all. With a big 3 like that there's no need for parsons. I'd rather see the rockets move him and put some better pieces around that big 3.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by AIverson View Post
    I don't doubt him offensively playing PF, but what about when it's time to guard people? The western conference has some damn good Players at the position. I don't know how realistic it is to come out of west with Melo at PF. With Harden on the team, I just can't see them being good enough defensively with this line up. I'm pulling for Melo to win a ring, and I think his best chance is Houston. Melo/Harden/Howard is a championship core IMO and I would hate to see it go to waste on a more regular season based offensive team. It's a knock on Melo at all. With a big 3 like that there's no need for parsons. I'd rather see the rockets move him and put some better pieces around that big 3.
    Look at the elite PFs in the West. Aside from Griffin, Duncan and Randolph, most of the elite PFs in the conference are stretch 4s who do more damage 10-15 feet from the basket than they do on the low post. Also, you're completely missing the fact that Melo is no worse a defensive PF than Terrence Jones is. Hell, opposing PFs averaged a 14.8 PER against Melo last season and an 18.9 PER against Jones. So you tell me. How much worse off are the Rockets defensively with Melo at the 4 instead of Jones? Frankly, I think it could actually be an upgrade.

vCash
    Even if the Rockets get Melo, they should keep Parsons. Parsons has the tools to be an allstar in the future and you don't want him blowing up for another team. We do need to get a tall athletic power forward to defend....watching the playoffs was just miserable....40 plus point games against us...brutal. Also, we need a better system to utilize the talents on this team. We have some really talented offensive players, but we relied too much on them beating their guys one on one and it was easy to lock in on defense. It's almost like for one player to have a great game, the other guys suffered offensively because they're just standing there watching. With the Spurs, you saw them move for a better shot each time and it was really hard to defend.

Is Parsons capable of playing 2 effectively? I think Melo played some of his best game for the USA team, he was moving the ball, really playing efficient team ball. My only question is---is it a matter of coaching or just Melo's makeup of him improving defensively? A guy with his athleticism....can't he be coached to improve defensively the way Lebron has significantly improved on that end? I see guys that people didn't expect to have certain facets in their game, they go to the Spurs and they're starting to show different things. Boris Diaw, etc.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by rocketfuel View Post
    Even if the Rockets get Melo, they should keep Parsons. Parsons has the tools to be an allstar in the future and you don't want him blowing up for another team.
    That answers the guy above. It's not the same situation we had with Howard and Asik, which both players are strictly centers. Both Anthony and Parsons are versatile enough to play 3 positions, if needed.

We do need to get a tall athletic power forward to defend....watching the playoffs was just miserable....40 plus point games against us...brutal.
    Ehhh... It's not going to be easy, there aren't many guys like that, let alone cheap. Capela is supposed to be one of those in a couple of years.

Also, we need a better system to utilize the talents on this team. We have some really talented offensive players, but we relied too much on them beating their guys one on one and it was easy to lock in on defense. It's almost like for one player to have a great game, the other guys suffered offensively because they're just standing there watching. With the Spurs, you saw them move for a better shot each time and it was really hard to defend.
    That's also hard to do while we keep changing the team. You're using the Spurs as a comparision, I don't think I need to point out why it's easier for them.

Is Parsons capable of playing 2 effectively? I think Melo played some of his best game for the USA team, he was moving the ball, really playing efficient team ball. My only question is---is it a matter of coaching or just Melo's makeup of him improving defensively? A guy with his athleticism....can't he be coached to improve defensively the way Lebron has significantly improved on that end? I see guys that people didn't expect to have certain facets in their game, they go to the Spurs and they're starting to show different things. Boris Diaw, etc.
    If you look at him playing, and his numbers, he's a good defensive player. Of course playing at the 4, he'll get tougher matchups, but he has improved a lot on defense, in my opinion.
    Rockets | Texans | Astros

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by mightybosstone View Post
    Look at the elite PFs in the West. Aside from Griffin, Duncan and Randolph, most of the elite PFs in the conference are stretch 4s who do more damage 10-15 feet from the basket than they do on the low post. Also, you're completely missing the fact that Melo is no worse a defensive PF than Terrence Jones is. Hell, opposing PFs averaged a 14.8 PER against Melo last season and an 18.9 PER against Jones. So you tell me. How much worse off are the Rockets defensively with Melo at the 4 instead of Jones? Frankly, I think it could actually be an upgrade.
    Totally agree with this, and he had a very good rebounding year, which is something that hurt us a lot at times when Dwight went out to block a shot and no one helped him on the board. Offensively he got almost 2 boards a game, and defensively he averaged this past season 6.2 per game. Terrence Jones will have significant minutes off the bench and will spend a lot of minutes guarding an off the bench PF, which should help the team's overall defense, depending who is the backup C. He gives us a lot of flexibility as well, and his game should help him play at an elite level for many years past his prime.

vCash
    I think that Melo at the 4 will balance itself out as the year goes on. He will put opposing 4s in tough spots while the opposing 4s try to put Melo on the block and do work. If he gives up 18 but scores 25, I'll live with it.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by EDUTEXANS View Post
    That answers the guy above. It's not the same situation we had with Howard and Asik, which both players are strictly centers. Both Anthony and Parsons are versatile enough to play 3 positions, if needed.

Ehhh... It's not going to be easy, there aren't many guys like that, let alone cheap. Capela is supposed to be one of those in a couple of years.

That's also hard to do while we keep changing the team. You're using the Spurs as a comparision, I don't think I need to point out why it's easier for them.

If you look at him playing, and his numbers, he's a good defensive player. Of course playing at the 4, he'll get tougher matchups, but he has improved a lot on defense, in my opinion.

Yeah, Parsons and Carmelo are versatile, so it's better to hoard the talent rather than ship Parsons off for cheap just because of being rigid on positions... plus, it's better to have depth. The Spurs way is a dream, but I'd still like to see these guys get easier shots and have the system work for them. Harden, Parsons and Lin rotated between them getting hot and they are all very good one on one... I would rather not see Carmelo face some of the bigs like Aldridge. 4 was the position we got lit up so I hope we find someone that can at least defend that even if they are offensively limited. Terrence Jones is a really talented player....just couldn't handle Aldridge. It's really interesting to see the Rockets in thick of things 3rd year in a row for the marquee free agents.

vCash
    If the Rockets to do get Anthony, is it still possible they can do a sign and trade for Love?

vCash
    give melo the right number your good..lol

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by win red sox View Post
    If the Rockets to do get Anthony, is it still possible they can do a sign and trade for Love?
    I don't see anyway that is possible unless we include Harden in the S&T, which I don't see happening. We will have to trade Lin if Melo chooses Houston and there isn't enough salary left to include in a S&T for Love after Lin is gone.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast