Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast
    vCash

Top free agents available

So with free agency set to start in less than four hours and the literally infinite amount of possible roster shakeups being calculated in our heads, I think it's worth having a thread to discuss which guys are available, which guys would be a good fit, which guys are feasible and which guys you'd like to see donning Rockets red in a few months.

For reference in case anyone is curious, I'm using the following link as a starting point: http://hoopshype.com/free_agency_2014.htm. Note that this list does not include guys like Kevin Love, but feel free to discuss him and other possible trade partners.

But based on want, need, fit and the slightest possibility they could actually come to Houston (not counting Wade, Dirk, etc.), here is my list of top 50 free agent targets for Houston this offseason:

1. SF/PF Lebron James - signed with Cleveland
    2. SF/PF Carmelo Anthony
    3. PF/C Chris Bosh - douchebag signed with Miami
    4. PG Kyle Lowry - re-signed with Toronto
    5. PG/SG Eric Bledsoe (RFA)
    6. SF Luol Deng
    7. SF Trevor Ariza (RFA)
    8. PG Isaiah Thomas - sign and trade to Phoenix
    9. PF/C Greg Monroe
    10. PF/C Pau Gasol
    11. SF/PF Shawn Marion
    12. PF/C Spencer Hawes - signed with Clippers
    13. PG/SG Shaun Livingston - signed with Golden State
    14. PG/SG Avery Bradley (RFA) - re-signed with Boston
    15. SG/SF PJ Tucker (RFA) - re-signed with Phoenix
    16. SG Ray Allen
    17. SF Paul Pierce
    18. SF Mike Miller
    19. SG/SF Thabo Sefolosha - signed with Atlanta
    20. PG Devin Harris - signed with Dallas
    21. PF/C Chris Andersen
    22. C Jermaine O'Neal
    23. PG Darren Collison - signed with Sacramento
    24. PG Mo Williams
    25. PF Patrick Patterson (RFA) - re-signed with Toronto
    26. PF/C Elton Brand
    27. SG Vince Carter
    28. PF Josh McRoberts - signed with Miami
    29. PF/C Channing Frye - signed with Orlando
    30. PF Boris Diaw - re-signed with San Antonio
    32. PG Ramon Sessions
    33. PG Greivis Vasquez (RFA) - signed with Toronto
    34. PF Andray Blatche
    35. PG Jameer Nelson
    36. PG Patty Mills - re-signed with San Antonio
    37. PG Kirk Hinrich
    38. PF/C Jordan Hill - re-signed with Lakers
    39. PF Kris Humphries
    40. PF Glen Davis
    41. PF/C Dejuan Blair
    42. SF/PF Marvin Williams
    43. SF Caron Butler
    44. PG DJ Augustin
    45. SG/SF Danny Granger - signed with Miami
    46. PF Drew Gooden
    47. PG Steve Blake - signed with Portland
    48. C Emeka Okafor
    49. SF Wesley Johnson
    50. PF/C Ryan Kelly (RFA)

Anyways... Thoughts on guys from the list you think Houston should target? Are there players you feel I left out? Who can you see putting on a Rockets jersey in a couple of weeks?
    Last edited by mightybosstone; 07-11-2014 at 07:04 PM.

vCash
    Assuming rockets miss out on melo. One of Deng, tucker, Marion would strengthen our bench and add much needed defense. Hawes would be a good replacement for Asik. Resigning parsons and Daniels would round off a good off-season.

I was also thinking about what to do with Lin, looking at the PG's available, I don't see why the rockets should trade him. Yes his contract is bloated but there isn't really any solid replacement for him.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Asik's better View Post
    Assuming rockets miss out on melo. One of Deng, tucker, Marion would strengthen our bench and add much needed defense. Hawes would be a good replacement for Asik. Resigning parsons and Daniels would round off a good off-season.
    I'd love Tucker, Sefolosha or Marion, because I think Houston could get one of those guys for $5-7 million a year to provide 80% of what Deng would provide for $12-14 million a year. And adding a versatile big man like Hawes would be nice at the right price. If Houston does miss out on Lebron/Melo/Love/Bosh, I'm very curious to see how Morey approaches this free agency period and who he goes for.

I was also thinking about what to do with Lin, looking at the PG's available, I don't see why the rockets should trade him. Yes his contract is bloated but there isn't really any solid replacement for him.
    Really? I was just thinking of how deep this free agent class is in terms of serviceable point guards. Isaiah Thomas is a talented little player that would make for one hell of a sixth man at probably the same cost of Lin, or Houston could probably get a Devin Harris, Shaun Livingston, Mo Williams or Darren Collison for half the cost of Lin. I still wouldn't move Lin if it meant having to keep up another significant asset in the process. But if Houston could move him without getting rid of a first round pick and could use his cap space toward other significant player or two, I feel more than confident they could replace him fairly easily.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by mightybosstone View Post
    Really? I was just thinking of how deep this free agent class is in terms of serviceable point guards. Isaiah Thomas is a talented little player that would make for one hell of a sixth man at probably the same cost of Lin, or Houston could probably get a Devin Harris, Shaun Livingston, Mo Williams or Darren Collison for half the cost of Lin. I still wouldn't move Lin if it meant having to keep up another significant asset in the process. But if Houston could move him without getting rid of a first round pick and could use his cap space toward other significant player or two, I feel more than confident they could replace him fairly easily.
    Thomas is with the kings or becoming a Celtic so you can rule him out. Collision would choose clippers over Houston even unless the rockets offer him a dumb amout of money. I would never want selfish overrated scum like mo Williams on this team. It would be much better to keep Lin then next off-season look to sign a better PG or resign Lin on a smaller deal.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Asik's better View Post
    Thomas is with the kings or becoming a Celtic so you can rule him out. Collision would choose clippers over Houston even unless the rockets offer him a dumb amout of money. I would never want selfish overrated scum like mo Williams on this team. It would be much better to keep Lin then next off-season look to sign a better PG or resign Lin on a smaller deal.
    All of the things you're saying are hypothetical and those are some pretty damn strong words about Mo Williams. Did the guy sleep with one of your family members and never call them again or something? But even if you rule out every guy I just mentioned, there's Lowry, Bledsoe, Livingston, Bradley, Harris, Sessions, Vasquez, Nelson, Mills, Hinrich, Augustin, Blake and Brooks.

Bottom line... There's a freaking ton of point guards in this free agent class if Houston wants one up. It's easily the deepest position in the whole free agent class.

vCash
    might as well Add Kevin love to that list even though it would be Via sign and Trade

Lin has to go he is not consistent enough and we can get a cheaper PG to do what he does at the same rate If u looking for Depth or another star

vCash
    I'd be ok with bringing back Hill as the backup C for a reasonable deal
    The Most Epic Thread EVER
    Quote Originally Posted by dbroncos78087 View Post
    Yea what is he thinking not wanting to drive next to or near drunk people. I have never met a more sheltered scaredy cat. As a hobby i find 10-15 homeless guys and give them lots of alcohol and play bumper cars all day but im normal.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by mightybosstone View Post
    All of the things you're saying are hypothetical and those are some pretty damn strong words about Mo Williams. Did the guy sleep with one of your family members and never call them again or something? But even if you rule out every guy I just mentioned, there's Lowry, Bledsoe, Livingston, Bradley, Harris, Sessions, Vasquez, Nelson, Mills, Hinrich, Augustin, Blake and Brooks.

Bottom line... There's a freaking ton of point guards in this free agent class if Houston wants one up. It's easily the deepest position in the whole free agent class.
    I just don't like mo Williams. He is a bad teammate, selfish and a scumbag in general. I would never want a guy like him on my roster.

vCash
    I get that we could match but Chandler is taking a meeting with Cuban?

I feel like that'd be such a slap in the face if he left houston for Dallas.

I hope he's just listening because I'm afraid he'll sign offer sheet and rox won't match if Dallas tries to screw us.

vCash
    So, in terms of cap space, that's our situation (according to hoopshype):

$44,656,114 million guaranteed, counting Harden, Howard, Motiejunas, Jones, Beverley (team option), Parsons (qualifying offer worth $2,875,130), Canaan and Covington (although there are conflicted sources saying Covington's contract is only partially guaranteed). So that's leave nearly $19 million to expend before we re-sign Parsons (assuming we trade Lin).

But...

I'm not counting Lin's $8,374,646 million contract, Capella or Daniels.

If we intend to keep Lin, that'd give us $53,030,760. $10 million to expend, before Parsons.

I can't find anywhere if picked Daniels' option, or if we declined and extended his QO making him a RFA.

Clint Cappela was introduced by the Rockets and Morey said he'll contribure "right away". I'm assuming he's coming over this year, so he'll count rookie scale against the cap. The rookie scale for the 25th pick is $991,000.

Finally, there are cap holds for roster spots we have to fill (to get to 12). Other cap holds count. The cap hold is worth $507,336 (rookie minimum salary). If we keep Lin, Daniels and Capella is couting against the cap, we're at 11 guys. So add this half a million cap hold to team salary.

So that's our team salary right now: $54,529,096 (add Daniels' whatever or a roster spot cap hold worth $507,336). That counts Lin and Capella.

And Parsons is tricky. If he signs an offer sheet, even though we can match, it will already count against the cap the amount of money he will receive in the first year of the contract he signed.
    Rockets | Texans | Astros

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by goku View Post
    might as well Add Kevin love to that list even though it would be Via sign and Trade

Lin has to go he is not consistent enough and we can get a cheaper PG to do what he does at the same rate If u looking for Depth or another star
    But if we're not going to sign any big name (Melo, Lowry, etc.), and considering Lin's contract might be a little hard to unload right now, we might have to include a first or second round pick for some team to take him, it might be a better option to hold on to him. Because on the February deadline, however, his expiring contract might become a really attractive trade chip for someone looking to get cap relief for next year's offseason.

Quote Originally Posted by Htownballa1622 View Post
    I get that we could match but Chandler is taking a meeting with Cuban?

I feel like that'd be such a slap in the face if he left houston for Dallas.

I hope he's just listening because I'm afraid he'll sign offer sheet and rox won't match if Dallas tries to screw us.
    He'll definitely lister for offers. And he'll do what's best for him.

What's scares me is that Cuban might offer him a really big contract right way (maybe even the max), so there's no reason for Parsons not to accept it, and either we match it and leave the Melo or LeBron sweepstakes or he gets Parsons.

Toronto offered that huge contract to Fields trying to get the Knicks to match two years ago on a similar situation.

vCash
    I like the Lowry idea a lot better now. By dumping Lin, we could sign him and still have $4-5 million to spend on a decent wing or big man. And If Parsons doesn't demand more than $13 million, we'd still have a full MLE. At least Beverley and two other good players off the bench to go with probably the best starting 5 in the league in Howard, Jones, Parsons, Harden and Lowry. I'd call that a good Plan B if getting Melo is Plan A.

Dumping Lin and opening up around $16 million of cap space, we could also be in very good position to add three good role players, plus the MLE. Hawes, Marion, Sefolosha, Tucker, Collison, Gasol, Hill all come to mind.

Spencer Hawes has emerged as the Trail Blazers' top target in free agency.
    Blazers' general manager Neil Olshey and coach Terry Stotts visited representatives for Hawes in Los Angeles late Monday night shortly after free agency began and the meeting "went very well", according to reports. The most that Portland can offer the unrestricted free agent is $5.3 million per year over four years, so Hawes would be taking a bit of a pay cut from the $6.5 million he earned last season if he signs with the Blazers. The 26-year-old averaged 13.2 points, 8.3 rebounds and 3.0 assists last season and would continue to be a solid mid-level fantasy big man if he signs with Portland.
    He would have a smaller role here, possibly, but I'd be really fine if we offered as much as $2 million more than that.

Edit: We have a meeting scheduled with F James Johnson from the Grizzlies. He averaged 11/5/4 with 2.7 steals in three games against us this past season.
    Last edited by EDUTEXANS; 07-01-2014 at 01:45 PM.

vCash
    You have Mo Williams listed twice. He shouldn't be listed at all.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Saddletramp View Post
    You have Mo Williams listed twice. He shouldn't be listed at all.
    Indeed I did, but I seriously think you're underrating the guy if you don't think he's one of the top 50 free agents available to Houston in terms of fit. As a sixth man and a backup PG, Houston could do worse. And he'd likely come at a pretty darn reasonable price.

vCash
    7. SF Trevor Ariza (RFA)
    8. PG Isaiah Thomas
    15. SG/SF PJ Tucker (RFA)
    16. SG Ray Allen
    23. PG Darren Collison
    27. SG Vince Carter
    29. PF/C Channing Frye
    38. PF/C Jordan Hill
    39. PF Kris Humphries
    45. SG/SF Danny Granger
    48. C Emeka Okafor

This is of course if we strike out on the bigger names. I would lean towards getting more big men that do the dirty work than the flashier wing players.

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast