Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

vCash

So, whats everyone's thoughts on the Erhoff debacle?

I know some people are still confused. I am still shaking my head even after reading a huge CapGeak article.

What is funny to me is, Murray is worried about the cap hit after Erhoff retires, as if he is guaranteed to be our GM by that time.

Also, Jim Benning was asked about what he thinks of the recapture penalty for Luongo when he retires and Benning said he could "care less" about it. He said that 8.5 hit will not be all at once and mostly be broken off for two or three years, bringing it down to 4.25 for two years or 2.8 for three years.

So if that is the case, wouldn't Erhoff's 10 million recapture hit break down to 5 Million for two years or 3.333 for 3 years. Benning said it himself, the recapture penalty will not hit the team all at once, but for some reason Murray is describing it as a 10 million hit all at once to the Sabre fans. Every body freaked out over NJ's Kovalchuk's contract. NJ's recapture penalty against the cap is 250,000 only.

Also, Murray said Erhoff did not want to be here anymore. However, Erhoff's agent said, Erhoff only voiced that he does not want to participate in a long rebuilding process. So now is this Murrays way of putting words in Erhoff's mouth making it sound like he is a poison, then we overlook this transaction. I for one, understand Erhoff, and every player in the league, who states they don't want to be a part of a long rebuilding process.

The more I read about this recapture penalty, it appears that what Benning said is correct. So the GM we passed on, does not care about the recapture penalty in Vancouver for Luongo. However the GM we hired, apparently cares so much, buying him out was a better option then trading him for picks?

What are the thoughts from Sabre's Nation.

vCash

So, whats everyone's thoughts on the Erhoff debacle?

I get what your saying and I'm sad about losing ehrhoff but he's in his 30s doesn't want to be part of a rebuild which we are clearly doing and why waste any cap hit to a guy who's not really in future plans because he's aging and openly said yeah this isn't what I want to do, idk overall I'm okay with it

vCash
    They went over the scenarios on the radio this morning about the recapture rule. They said if Buffalo traded Erhoff and then eventually, the other team trades Erhoff, no recapture penalty for any teams.

The only time the recapture penalty would have been a 10 Million / 1 year cap hit, is if he played with the team we traded him to, but then he retires on his last year of his contract. They said on the radio, over the last 20-years, only 3% of the players ever retired on the final year of their contract. Erhoff would be 39 at that time. Boyle is 38-years old now and look at all the teams lining up for him.

I like what Murray has done, but I think he worried to much about this and should have traded him.

vCash
    I just get the feeling that the Sabres in whatever way they can, want to go with the youth in their organization with a few veterans sprinkled in. As I have said in another Sabres thread, I think the majority of the team's "Blue line" next year will involve in some capacity Tyler Myers, Jake McCabe, Rasmus Ristolainan, Mark Pysyk, Nikita Zadorov, Mike Weber, and maybe a veteran in the mold of a Brooks Orpik or someone signed via FA. I think when you look at the offense, I believe it will be centered around Cody Hodgson, Tyler Ennis, Marcus Foligno, Joel Armia, Chris Stewart (Until traded at deadline), Drew Stafford, Zemgus Girgensons, Sam Reinhart, and maybe a few FA's here and there.

Then in 2015, Murray's plan for the Sabres will take full shape. He will have 3 1st round picks, 2 2nd's, some decent cap space and then you will start to see the Sabres begin progressing forward.

In terms of Ehrhoff, I don't think Murray saw him as part of the future and decided to move on.
    PSD's Muhammad Wilkerson!!!

vCash
    Thumbs Up!! McCabe might fill his void... Benoit might also fill his spot and from what I hear, do a pretty good job of not making us miss him at all...