Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    vCash

Why Is David Ortiz So Universally Loved?

He's the best DH ever, the best clutch hitter I've ever seen and a HOFer IMO. No disrespect to him at all as a player. But I don't understand how this guy is universally loved around baseball.

- He stands at home plate and admires all his home runs. He walks around the bases. He often throws in a bat flip for good measure as well. In a game where we allays talk about "unwritten rules" and "respecting the game" this guy never does that but no one seems to care.

- The guy has thrown MULTIPLE temper tantrums about scorers not giving him hits and ruling errors instead. That to me is just such an *** hole, selfish, individualistic move. It's one thing to file a complaint behind the scenes but he just goes off about it publicly.

- When the Red Sox traded away Manny he made it a point to always throw his teammates under the bus. He often complained that the team needed protection behind him. Way to throw your current teammates under the bus. Again, it's one thing to voice those concerns behind closed doors with management but to come out and say the guys hitting behind you aren't good enough is being an awful teammate.

- He constantly complains about his contract. He did take a pretty below market deal on his first extension but ever since then he's *****ed about every contract he's signed. Whenever he has 1 or 2 years left he *****es and moans about his deal. Normally, athletes that complain about their contracts are looked down upon but Ortiz has always escaped that scorn. He's never been one of the highest paid players in the game though so I can somewhat understand why he gets a pass on this one.

- Ortiz is the only player I can think of that ever tested positive for steroids and had people believe him that it was just a mix-up. Everyone else is shunned and chastised regardless of their explanation. (Well, I guess Pettite escaped that reaction too, but he did admit to actually taking steroids. People just believed that it was only for a short period to recover from injury. People genuinely seem to believe that Ortiz never took them.) I'm not commenting on whether or not Ortiz did use - I could care less if he did. I'm just talking about how he's the only player whose story people actually buy rather than just calling him guilty.

Again, in no way shape or form am I criticizing the player. He's one of the best hitters of my generation. I can understand why Red Sox fans would still love him despite all of this because of what he's done for his team. I just don't understand why the rest of baseball likes him. Is it because he smiles a lot? "Big Papi" is just a cool, friendly nickname? He embarrassed the Yankees in 04 and people hate the Yankees so that makes him cool? As far as I'm concerned, this guy is just a tier below A-Rod on the *** hole, ego maniac, individualistic scale.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Haha View Post
    What I feel right now is like the satisfaction you feel when a highly judgmental, moralistic televangelist gets caught screwing a male hooker.
    NE Patriots Forum HOF (Class of 2011)

Trill Team

vCash
    Because he is like a big teddy bear. Can't hate teddy bears yo.

vCash
    He just gives off a good guy image. I guess its the fact he jokes around and smiles a lot.

CARMELOOOOOOO ANTHONYYYYYY!!!

vCash
    Because he's big papi. Most people love their dad's

First Sim League Title!

vCash
    He is? Most people I know that aren't Red Sox fans don't like him. He's a cheater and a liar, like Braun, in addition to all the other things you mentioned. I'm not a huge fan of Pettite but I respect that he told the truth - unlike Rocket and Papi.

vCash
    I like the guy a lot.... And he's beat my team twice in the WS... Just likeable I guess

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by flea View Post
    He is? Most people I know that aren't Red Sox fans don't like him. He's a cheater and a liar, like Braun, in addition to all the other things you mentioned. I'm not a huge fan of Pettite but I respect that he told the truth - unlike Rocket and Papi.
    also unlike 300+ other players in the league from 1994-present
    Boston Sports!!

vCash
    I think it's a very valid question. There certainly exists a few double standards with him. He's one of my all time favorites, but that's really mostly because he's been behind a few of the most memorable sports moments of my life. Baseball and the Red Sox were hands down my favorite things growing up and he was a huge part of that.

But there are plenty of players I rip for very, very, very similar things. It is kinda interesting how he gets a pass.

Perhaps it's because he's well-liked by his peers. Perhaps it's his appearance, his accent and his passion. He's passionate, and prone to a few too many hissy-fits, but most generally aren't turned off by his personality. Again, maybe more should be, but he's an accessible guy who's always smiling. He jokes around during All Star games and HR Derbys. He just carries himself with an aura of positivity. That simple stuff helps. I think the Boston Marathon thing really helped...but he was getting the pass before that. That outward image helps a lot.

I think with the steroids thing he benefits -- fairly or not -- from a few things. His name was released on a list due to a test that wasn't ever supposed to see the light of day. We know he tested positive for something, but we don't know what. He hasn't failed a test since. He hasn't been involved in a scandal like Bruan, A-Rod, Bonds and so on, which I think is the biggest thing. It never became a huge media story which leads to far less frustration. Body image probably helps too...he looks the same as he has for as long as we can remember. People also just view him as a big fat teddy bear...not a Bondsian/McGwire muscle spectacle.

Success often gives most people a pass. People remember that and not the tantrums, clubhouse controversy and other in-house stuff. In the end, if you win and come through people don't seem to care as much and will let those things slide. Because even if you threw people under the bus, were accused of not trying...or whatever, you're still a "winner"...and he's been a huge factor in 3 World Series wins. I know in basketball, which is a more individual-drive sport, success really shuts everyone up. I don't think it's much different in baseball either.

It's a fair question. It's hard to really justify a ton of it...but the fact remains: he's immensely popular.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by QueensG_718 View Post
    He just gives off a good guy image. I guess its the fact he jokes around and smiles a lot.
    This

But I don't like the guy, and I don't see a Hall of Famer, especially with the roid cloud and shorter MLB career.

Since 2000, as a bat only guy, his 139 wRC+ is 19th best, and he has the 4th most runs created in that time.

Not that great for a bat only player...considering he has the 16th most plate appearances.

he is 24th in fWAR

He has no business in the hall of fame until Edgar Martinez gets in....someone who was a far better hitter.

He has beasted big time in the post-season in his career. And he isn't as great in the post-season as people seem to think he is. He has had some really big moments, but in all time ranks, he's lower than people realize. He is 9th in all time plate appearances yet isn't top 10 in any of the rate stats that you would care about....all he has are some counting stats that favor him.

Everyone talks about the 04 ALCS and the 14 WS....but he has had a large number of bad playoff series', like the 14 ALCS. His .962 OPS in the post-season is very comparable to his MLB career OPS, and if given more plate appearances in the post-season (a full seasons worth), I'm certain he would end up even closer to that career average.

Until Edgar is in the hall of fame, Papi doesn't belong.

vCash
    Because he is ginormous and if you dont like him he will squash you?

vCash
    2004 ALCS, back when everybody rooted for the Red Sox, he brought them out of years and years of mediocrity, but now everyone hates Boston outside of their fans.

vCash
    He's just likable lol

vCash
    He's fat and always smiling.

vCash
    Universally loved? I doubt that. Like all players, he's got his group of fans. I'm definitely not a fan for many reasons outside of him playing for the rivals of my team.

HOF'er? No. He's had some great moments, but like Jeffy said, he has no business getting in until Edgar gets in. I'll take it as far as he has no business even being in the discussion until Edgar gets in.
    FC Bayern Munchen

New York Yankees
    71-66

G: 123 | AVG: .261| HR: 3| RBI: 37| OBP: .309 | SLG: .311 | wOBA: .281 | wRC: 74

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BoSox47 View Post
    also unlike 300+ other players in the league from 1994-present
    So that makes it alright?
    FC Bayern Munchen

New York Yankees
    71-66

G: 123 | AVG: .261| HR: 3| RBI: 37| OBP: .309 | SLG: .311 | wOBA: .281 | wRC: 74

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast