Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

vCash

Ilya Sorokin - 3rd Round 78th Overall

Fedor Fedin ‏@FedFedRMNB
    Sorokin is a great pick for the #Isles. He looked great in the KHL last year. Unlike most goalies, he actually played in the big league.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d2uIE3fEaC4

Prospect Ilya Sorokin Already a Pro

By Shannon Valerio, Hockey VIPs Magazine
    June 17, 2014

As draft day approaches, scouts are doing some last-minute scouring for hidden gems. In our yearly quest to bring to you information on not-so-well-known prospects, we have found a potential jewel in top Russian ranked goalie Ilya Sorokin.

Listed at No. 5 in the Central Scouting final rankings of European goalies, Sorokin has something few other goalies in the draft have: Professional experience.

In just his second year in the Kontinental Hockey League, he faced an average of nearly 30 shots per game for a 91.1 save percentage and 2.09 goals-against average. Not only are these numbers much lower than many of his North American counterparts but he has been playing in a league with men — many of whom have years of professional — even National Hockey League – experience.

Outgoing and articulate, Sorokin expressed to us his excitement about draft day. His playing experience has certainly matured him and, as we found in tracking him down for an interview, he already carries himself like a true professional (but with lots of personality). This isn’t surprising when you consider that he has been developed in old-school Soviet fashion.

Upon turning 12, Sorokin left his native Mezhdurechensk to train in the system of Metallurg Novokuznetsk. There he studied, worked and lived in a traditional Ruasian sports boarding school until he turned 18. He remains in Metallurg’s system.

Once the norm for developing Soviet athletes, these schools are known for their strict discipline and regimented programs. Perhaps that’s why he took up tennis and badminton: Great healthy hobbies for a young goalie to further develop his hand-eye coordination.

Of course, the question on everyone’s mind is if chosen will he come to North America and play in the NHL? Unlike many other Russian players, he did not choose to get a few of years of exposure across the pond before reaching draft eligibility. This could potentially scare away NHL suitors, despite his experience and outstanding numbers.

However, his obligation and loyalty to Metallurg, the team that has trained him since he was 12 years of age, certainly has to be considered. Not only does this explain his decision to stay in Russia to develop but it also demonstrates a trait many teams should be looking for in a young prospect: Loyalty.

Ilya Sorokin European Goalie - Novokuznetsk, RUSSIA
    FINAL RANK: 5 MIDTERM RANK: 4
    POSITION: Goalie CATCHES: Left
    HEIGHT: 6' 0" WEIGHT: 158
    BORN: August 4, 1995
    BORN IN: Russia
    DRAFTED: 2014: NYI (3rd Round / 78th Overall) New York Islanders

vCash
    I like the pick, but you always take a chance drafting players that are signed over in Europe & the KHL.

If you read the little article I posted, he's pretty loyal to his KHL club which won't do us favor.

Best case scenario? He finishes off the contract he just signed with Metallurg, so 3 yrs, then comes over here and gears up for Bridgeport.

Again I like the pick, I think he has some good upside, but it's just risky with Russians now a days. KHL is easily the 2nd biggest league to the NHL in the world.

vCash
    Sorokin selected to Russia's U20 camp. I'd love to see him be the feature stopper for Russia at the WJC this December (I love that tournament).
    Last edited by KingsnQueens7; 07-03-2014 at 10:02 PM.