Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    vCash

Got to give Tejada some props but..

He's still obviously a second division starter and better used as a backup.

His play aside from his baserunning has been much better this year. Whether it's OPS, OPS+, wRC+, OBP, or LD%, they've been solidly above average (OBP), average, or slightly above. His offense has done a complete 180 from last year. (Yes I know looking at his traditional stats doesn't say as much).

That said, the real point I am trying to make is that even with all the praise (internally or otherwise), I hope the Mets realize that both Tejada and EY (who you can also include) are still better bench assets, given this teams needs. You want to make a team better? Then transition those guys to where they see spot playing time, are still very useful, and bring in better everyday regulars at those positions.
    Last edited by metswon69; 06-28-2014 at 11:06 PM.

vCash
    Gotta upgrade somewhere. Can't be satisfied with average, or slightly above average at times.

We'll Leave a Light On For You

Believers: mets77, JoeGamer81, Harry777, YoungStuna, Sandman, METMANYAK, FoC, Gotta, WrigheyesMVP, Mr. Koobs

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by GottaBelieve:28696968
    Gotta upgrade somewhere. Can't be satisfied with average, or slightly above average at times.
    And therein lies the problem. Weve been so bad at times that mediocrity looks good. Playing .500 baseball looks good. Ruben Tejada looks good.

Still, if Tejada plays at this level he could be part of a winning team as a starter if the rest of the team was that much better. Doubtful theyll try to upgrade at short now since Rube just became cost efficient.
    "Mr. Martin Tanner, Baritone, of Dayton, Ohio made his Town Hall debut last night. He came well prepared, but unfortunately his presentation was not up to contemporary professional standards. His voice lacks the range of tonal color necessary to make it consistently interesting. Full time consideration of another endeavor might be in order."

vCash
    Looks like the Mets found themselves a solid bench player when many thought he wasn't even an MLB player.

"We have been watching and waiting, but I wouldn't say we intend to continue to do that. I think you watch and wait to try and assess a situation and act accordingly. It might involve more waiting. It might involve moving in one direction or another. We've done plenty of watching and waiting. If we can move in a particular direction, we might do that."

Sandy Alderson: 2011.

vCash

Except he's our starting SS every day.

Create a roster with enough guys like that, and you find yourself 7 games under .500 in late June.

We'll Leave a Light On For You

Believers: mets77, JoeGamer81, Harry777, YoungStuna, Sandman, METMANYAK, FoC, Gotta, WrigheyesMVP, Mr. Koobs

vCash
    Tejada does deserve some props for improving his play. But man, you're double right when you say he should be a bench player.Knowing our front office, they're probably going to start touting him as the second coming to Arod

vCash
    Tejada right now ranks 3rd in OBP amongst MLB SS, behind Troy Tulowitzki and Hanley Ramirez. He's 16th in wRC+, so still a second divison starter. But it's his ability to get on base which makes him at least respectable. He's certainly having a better year than Stephen Drew, anyway.

vCash
    Hmmm, what happens when your above average players who are carrying your below average players struggle? easy you offense will grind to a halt.

Every player needs to be as good as possible that has to be goal, so when some guys struggle the others can pick them up.

The whole 'I can live with this guy if we have that guy' thesis is dunderheaded in my view. It smacks of the justification of poor players getting more playing time and a more expanded role than they deserve, when I see a Dodger who isn't good enough on his own merit then he's got to be replaced.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by acerimusdux View Post
    Tejada right now ranks 3rd in OBP amongst MLB SS, behind Troy Tulowitzki and Hanley Ramirez. He's 16th in wRC+, so still a second divison starter. But it's his ability to get on base which makes him at least respectable. He's certainly having a better year than Stephen Drew, anyway.
    Well, to be fair Drew just started playing this month. Yeah he has not been good in that time, but how much of that is due to him missing so much time? This month is like ST I would think.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by acerimusdux View Post
    Defensively he is 2nd behind Tulo in Fld% and RF. He is also in the top eight in DP despite 100+ fewer innings played. Harrelson at age 24 was a career 2.6 WAR, Tejada won't be 25 till the off season and now has a 3.6 WAR.

Of the forecast FA SS Lowrie and Asdrubal Cabrera are both having off years. Hanley will command a major commitment to a player that has become injury prone. JJ Hardy, 32 has 1 Hr.

If Tejada continues as he is now, he will be a 3M player next season and a lot younger that any of the FAs, I'd rather see whatever money we have spent on an OF bat.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by yogib8 View Post
    Defensively he is 2nd behind Tulo in Fld% and RF. He is also in the top eight in DP despite 100+ fewer innings played. Harrelson at age 24 was a career 2.6 WAR, Tejada won't be 25 till the off season and now has a 3.6 WAR.

Of the forecast FA SS Lowrie and Asdrubal Cabrera are both having off years. Hanley will command a major commitment to a player that has become injury prone. JJ Hardy, 32 has 1 Hr.

If Tejada continues as he is now, he will be a 3M player next season and a lot younger that any of the FAs, I'd rather see whatever money we have spent on an OF bat.

like who?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by rebuilding View Post
    like who?
    Ysmani Tomas.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by rebuilding View Post
    like who?
    Besides Tomas, there is Seth Smith and Colby Rasmus in FA and AJ Pollack, Cory Dickerson, Lorenzo Cain and M Brantley. All are on the right side of 30, all have team control and Brantley LF is the only not a + defensive OF.

The latter four are all with teams that would welcome pitching.

poached

vCash
    Ysmani Tomas will fit right in, he projects to strike out a lot.
    Scarecrow: I haven't got a brain... only straw.
    Dorothy: How can you talk if you haven't got a brain?
    Scarecrow: I don't know... But some people without brains do an awful lot of talking... don't they?
    Dorothy: Yes, I guess you're right.

vCash

Brantley would be a beautiful addition

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast