Trade

Bonino
    Dorsett
    Vey

Free Agency

TBD

Virtanen pick marks the beginning of a new era for the Canucks
    BY JASON BOTCHFORD, THE PROVINCE JUNE 27, 2014

PHILADELPHIA — When he got here, Vancouver GM Jim Benning admitted other teams’ executives told him he was both different and unpredictable.

Boy, were they right.

But Benning followed up the Canucks busiest non-deadline wheeling and dealing day in recent memory by doing something most predicted.

With the No. 6 overall pick, the Canucks selected Jake Virtanen, the Abbotsford kid who scored 45 goals with the Calgary Hitmen this season.

Sure, maybe it’s odd to see the Canucks finally take a B.C. prospect who played in the WHL. But this is a new era.

And Benning openly tipped his hand following the draft combine a month ago when he said he was most impressed by Sam Reinhart and Virtanen.

The Canucks tried to get their hands on Reinhart, offering the Florida Panthers a package that included two first-round picks and Hunter Shinkaruk.

But the Panthers were never serious about dealing the pick and the Canucks were more than prepared to take the 17-year-old sniper, who has all kinds of speed, but also a bum shoulder after undergoing offseason surgery on his torn labrum.

The excitable Virtanen, a longtime Markus Naslund fan, kept saying getting drafted by the Canucks felt “amazing.”

“I was at the hotel just sweating all day,” Virtanen said after being selected. “It really hit me now. It’s pretty great to be drafted by Vancouver. It was always a dream.”

But it’s going to be a while before he can play with the Canucks. With the shoulder, he said he’s not expecting to be ready for contact until mid-October.
    http://www.theprovince.com/sports/Vi...995/story.html

PHILADELPHIA—The scuttlebutt here was about how hard it might be to make deals with rookie general managers like Vancouver’s Jim Benning.

Would he ask too much? Would he be afraid to pull the trigger? Would he take a season to evaluate what he had and wait till the trade deadline for a better deal?

Well, Benning, who started his NHL career as an 18-year-old defenceman with the Maple Leafs, opened his first GM stint with a blast. He dispatched an aging Ryan Kesler, who didn’t want to be in Vancouver anymore, to Anaheim and tossed defenceman Jason Garrisson to Tampa in a salary dump.

Benning picked up younger, cheaper players: forwards Nick Bonino and Derek Dorsett, defenceman Luca Sbisa and a ton of draft picks that should give the Canucks the decent base of prospects they’ve lacked, as well as about $6 million in salary cap space heading into the July 1 free agency period.

All that happened in a two-hour span Friday afternoon, proving Benning is a man of action unlike predecessor Mike Gillis, who let Roberto Luongo hang for two years before trading him.
    http://www.thestar.com/sports/hockey...ft_flurry.html

Canucks wrap up weekend at draft
    Select five players, trade for former King Linden Vey

VANCOUVER (NEWS1130) – The Vancouver Canucks made a trade, and selected five players on the second day of the NHL Entry Draft in Philadelphia.

New General Manager Jim Benning made another trade this morning, acquiring 22-year-old forward Linden Vey from the Los Angeles Kings in exchange for the 50th overall selection. Vey appeared in 18 games last season with the Kings, amassing five assists. Vey also played his junior hockey in Medicine Hat under Willie Dejardins.

The Canucks used the 36th overall pick on Boston College goaltender Thatcher Demko. Demko posted a 16-5-3 record with a .919 save percentage as a freshman for the Eagles in 2013-14.

Vancouver also selected three defensemen – Gustav Forsling of Sweden (126th), Nikita Tryamkin (66th) of Russia, and WHL product Mackenze Stewart (186th)

Stewart appeared in 58 games with the Prince Albert Raiders this past season, collecting nine points.

Tryamkin spent the 2013-14 season with Yekaterinburg, collecting seven points and 38 penalty minutes in 45 games. He also played for Russia at the 2014 World Junior Championship where he recorded three points in seven games.

Forsling played for Linkoping this past season, collecting 18 points in 44 games and played for Team Sweden at the Ivan Hlinka Memorial Tournament.

One centre was picked as well – Kyle Pettit (156th) of the OHL’s Erie Otters. Pettit collected ten points in 53 games last season.
    http://www.news1130.com/2014/06/28/c...kend-at-draft/
    Last edited by ink; 06-28-2014 at 08:01 PM.

vCash

Benning's roster re-make 2014 - new era begins

Who's in the system?

Horvat
    Shinkaruk
    Gaunce

Who else?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ink View Post
    Who's in the system?

Horvat
    Shinkaruk
    Gaunce

Who else?
    Jensen, Corrado, Eriksson. Cupboard is still bare.
    So Anna, what do you think about the notion that Russell Wilson is better than Andrew Luck?

<3
    "[He's] a really complete player... There's not really any weaknesses to his game." - Bill Belichick on Andrew Luck
    "Luck has the most diverse skill set of any NFL quarterback" - Ron Jaworski on Andrew Luck being a top 5 QB

vCash
    You forgot Sbisa for trade. He'll be Garrison's replacement.

Bieksa - Hamhuis

Edler - Tanev

Corrado - Sbisa
    So Anna, what do you think about the notion that Russell Wilson is better than Andrew Luck?

<3
    "[He's] a really complete player... There's not really any weaknesses to his game." - Bill Belichick on Andrew Luck
    "Luck has the most diverse skill set of any NFL quarterback" - Ron Jaworski on Andrew Luck being a top 5 QB

vCash
    I liked the Demko pick, and the first rounders were a little more straight forward. On another site you should see all the negative mentions of his draft. I loved their first 3 picks. They could have gone for more upside, but they drafted more for nearer talent to be ready. I loved the Vey trade, and Bonino. I'm still hoping that Edler is moved, along with Burrows if possible. Just gut the team.
    Last edited by GrkGawdofWalkz; 06-29-2014 at 08:53 AM.

Rachel Zane: You're a sneaky little boy.

vCash
    Petitt was an example of a draft pick that was worthless. The kid had 10 points in Erie. If you can only put up 10 points in Junior hockey, you're never going to play Pro.

vCash
    There is little doubt to me that Horvat will be up next year. But, he'll have competition. I didn't see the Vey trade coming, but it was my favorite move so far by Benning. Vey had no life on the Kings roster with how the Pearson-Carter-Toffoli line played. He played very well for the Monarchs and is NHL ready now. I saw that he was listed as a RW, I didn't know that. Keep gutting it and retooling!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by GrkGawdofWalkz View Post
    There is little doubt to me that Horvat will be up next year. But, he'll have competition. I didn't see the Vey trade coming, but it was my favorite move so far by Benning. Vey had no life on the Kings roster with how the Pearson-Carter-Toffoli line played. He played very well for the Monarchs and is NHL ready now. I saw that he was listed as a RW, I didn't know that. Keep gutting it and retooling!
    Good article here with video of Vey -
    http://canucksarmy.com/2014/6/28/no-vey-with-50th-pick-canucks-acquire-linden-vey-from-la

Top 6 potential?

vCash
    Sedin-Sedin-UFA (or RFA)
    Jensen-Bonino-Kassian
    Dorsett-Matthias-Burrows
    Sestito-Richardson-Vey

Gaunce, Shinkaruk, Higgins

vCash
    Good article here with video of Vey -
    http://canucksarmy.com/2014/6/28/no-...en-vey-from-la

Top 6 potential?
    Definite top 6, but not while Bonino is here. Vey could be top 6 when the Sedins leave and we could have a Horvat/Vey/Bonino... I don't know... Bonino/Vey probably interchangeable in the lineup.

<3

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by blueandgreen View Post
    Sedin-Sedin-UFA (or RFA)
    Jensen-Bonino-Kassian
    Dorsett-Matthias-Burrows
    Sestito-Richardson-Vey

I don't want Vey to be in a 4th line non scoring role. He should be top 9 at least.

<3

vCash
    For the first time in a loooooong time I'm actually optimistic about the direction of this team. Benning hasn't done anything negative yet.

<3

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by sfgiants1213 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by blueandgreen View Post
    Sedin-Sedin-UFA (or RFA)
    Jensen-Bonino-Kassian
    Dorsett-Matthias-Burrows
    Sestito-Richardson-Vey

I don't want Vey to be in a 4th line non scoring role. He should be top 9 at least.
    Yeah I think the plan is to find him a spot in the top 6.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by sfgiants1213 View Post
    For the first time in a loooooong time I'm actually optimistic about the direction of this team. Benning hasn't done anything negative yet.
    It's the first change we've seen in 4-5 years. It's been a long wait.

vCash
    It's the first change we've seen in 4-5 years. It's been a long wait.
    Yep, I loved Kesler but I truly understand why it's best that the team got rid of him. Bonino/Vey is a nice youthful injection at the center spot, plus with Horvat we could be set at C for a long time.

<3

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast