Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    vCash

Leafs trade for Roman Polak

Bob McKenzie ‏@TSNBobMcKenzie 10s
    TOR has acquired Roman Polak from STL

vCash
    For Gunnar

vCash
    For Gunnar and 94th pick...not sure I like this one.

vCash
    Fire Nonis. How the **** do you have Gunnar on the top-pair with Dion and then trade him for this? Must mean Boyle is coming in hot on July 1st. God dammit

vCash
    No Kulemin and No Gunnarsson on the Leafs next year. I think i might cry.

at least he's RHD, that's all i can be happy about.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by OptiMized View Post
    Fire Nonis. How the **** do you have Gunnar on the top-pair with Dion and then trade him for this? Must mean Boyle is coming in hot on July 1st. God dammit
    Gunnar for Polak is a wash...I just don't understand giving up a pick too. And yes, I think this means we'll see a 38 year old Boyle paired with Dion. Yeesh.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Halladay View Post
    Gunnar for Polak is a wash...I just don't understand giving up a pick too. And yes, I think this means we'll see a 38 year old Boyle paired with Dion. Yeesh.
    Gunnar > Polak imo. Polak plays a strength game though and might fit really well with Gardiner or Rielly or Phaneuf for that matter and is a RHD.

Still though, the value on this trade: http://gifsec.com/wp-content/uploads...action-gif.gif

Extra Skater @ExtraSkater · 20m
    Gunnarsson has been consistently better than Polak over the last three seasons while playing more minutes against tougher competition.

usage charts: DIon and Gunnar were used more than Petro and Jaybo... https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BrOhZu1CMAAFTsA.png:large

I better find out that this is a precursor to a really cheap Berglund trade that involves someone not named Kadri.
    Last edited by OptiMized; 06-28-2014 at 11:35 AM.

vCash
    Phaneuf - Boyle
    Gardiner - Polak
    Rielly - Granberg
    Gleason

oh boy, Nonis better be knocking on wood right now

vCash
    Pierre LeBrun ‏@Real_ESPNLeBrun 55s
    Leafs retained $200,000 of cap hit in Polak-Gunnarsson deal

http://i.imgur.com/FVOFD78.gif

from bad to worse, man.

vCash
    have you ever heard of the Penalty Kill. That is where Polak shines. He will be used there and as a 5th defensemen. We needed a big bodied d man really bad last year. Nobody will push Polak around in front of the net. Plus he has a nice shot. I wouldn't say im thrilled about the deal but we filled a big time need.

"A friend in need is a friend to avoid"

vCash
    Why would Boyle come here? Does he not want to play for a serious contender at this point in his career? I think a team like the Pens would be a nice fit for him.
    “It’s about winning,” Stoudemire said. “You win, you’re going to get on national TV. Simple. In Phoenix, we won — Western Conference finals three, four years, playoffs every year. We won. If you don’t win, nobody really wants to see you.”

vCash
    Of course we would go after Boyle when he's 37 and is a yr or two from retiring.
    “It’s about winning,” Stoudemire said. “You win, you’re going to get on national TV. Simple. In Phoenix, we won — Western Conference finals three, four years, playoffs every year. We won. If you don’t win, nobody really wants to see you.”

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by boilerguy2412 View Post
    have you ever heard of the Penalty Kill. That is where Polak shines. He will be used there and as a 5th defensemen. We needed a big bodied d man really bad last year. Nobody will push Polak around in front of the net. Plus he has a nice shot. I wouldn't say im thrilled about the deal but we filled a big time need.
    Ya. Carl Gunnarsson was our #1 PKer with ice time. Almost twice as much as Polak last year. I doubt he can help us get as good at the PK as STL was, he was the second string Pker after Petro and Bouw. Polak is awful in front of the net. He rarely uses his strngth in front of the net. He will help block shots and fight but he should have been added to Gunnar and Dion. I knew one of our LHD was going to be traded for a RHD but i never thought it was going to be gunnar. Who does Carlyle rely on as the shutdown pair now? Polak can skate but i haven't seen him play top-pairing minutes yet.

vCash
    Very odd trade to get rid of Gunnar. I cringe knowing that Franson stays and will be relied on more. I dont know why or who's idea this was but, I hope they have a back up plan.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by OptiMized View Post
    Ya. Carl Gunnarsson was our #1 PKer with ice time. Almost twice as much as Polak last year. I doubt he can help us get as good at the PK as STL was, he was the second string Pker after Petro and Bouw. Polak is awful in front of the net. He rarely uses his strngth in front of the net. He will help block shots and fight but he should have been added to Gunnar and Dion. I knew one of our LHD was going to be traded for a RHD but i never thought it was going to be gunnar. Who does Carlyle rely on as the shutdown pair now? Polak can skate but i haven't seen him play top-pairing minutes yet.
    He's not going to be top pair. Alex and JBO are the best defensive tandem in the NHL by far, of course everyone else is going to play second fiddle to them. You make Gunner sound like a legit top 4 d man when he is on the fringe at that spot. You will see Polak on the 1st team PK next season and you will see our PK improve because of it. How many times have we seen guys stand in front of our net and not be punished for it.. That's what Polak's job will be here.

I'm not saying this is a great trade by any means but it fills an area of need big time. I don't really think we needed to include a 3rd but whatever.
    Last edited by boilerguy2412; 06-28-2014 at 04:54 PM.

"A friend in need is a friend to avoid"

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast