Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Draft Grade?

vCash

Draft Grade?

I'm interested in how everyone grades this draft. Include why you graded it there. (I would use a poll but posting from my phone)

Please don't just bash other grades saying they are bad because you know we didn't get the posters guy. There are other reasons usually.

My grade:
    Incomplete.

Two picks in the top ten, and it was said we controlled the draft because we would really dictate who took who. And we took two guys who will not play this year. And there is a possibility not next year too. And we made moves in round two. But we came out of one of the deepest drafts in a decade and only have one player that will do anything for the team this year.
    #BanMiltstar

vCash
    I gave them a solid B. I liked the Embiid pick. He was the guy that had the highest ceiling, but also biggest question marks. He was prob the top talent had he not got injured. Saric was a surprise given his overseas commitment, but I guess the one year opt out swayed teams. I wanted Stauskas at 10 but he was gone. I prefer Saric to a guy like McDermott. I like all of the 2nds and the acquisition of Jackson.

vCash
    B+

Embiid MAY not play this year (he likely won't but if he does miss the whole season it'll be because they are taking it slow, not because he's injured the entire time), but he's got the highest ceiling of any player in the draft, and I like the idea of having two 7 footers defending the paint. Saric may not play this year, but the key to that IMO was somewhat lessening the damage of the Bynum trade by getting that pick back, as well as adding a 2nd rounder in 2015.

And the 2nd rounders all fit the criteria. Stash some Euros, the guys you do bring in fit the system of tall, long, and athletic guys who know how to get out in transition and defend. Even got Pierre Jackson back from NO to give you some type of shooting prowess off the bench.

Can't give it an A because they don't have a future star that will play the full season this year. But it's a step in the right direction, and if Embiid and Saric and even McDaniels and Grant can pan out, you're looking at a team with A LOT of height, length, and athleticism not just in your starting 5 but into your bench as well.

vCash
    I give #3 an A. Love the Embiid pick, a little risk, but I believe the reward is great. IF healthy, we have the best player in this draft. Similar to last year. I think we will sit him out for the year like we did with Noel, while developing other parts of his game.
    I give #10 a B. Saric could be a very serviceable player for us in a couple of years. Would prefer that he be over hear working on his game in the league and getting accustomed to our style of play. But once he gets here, could be something promising. Maybe not a starter right away, but Definitely the first player off of the bench.
    I give #32 an A. I am a big big fan of KJ McDaniels mid first rd pick grade and he drops to us at 32. I easily thought he could go in the 15-20 range, thought Suns would snatch him up or at least OKC. Crazy athletic, very good defensive player that can guard multiple positions. Needs to work on his jump shot, but it isn't actually that bad.
    I give #39 a C. No idea on his fit with the team. A younger, skinnier, right handed thad young with an even worse jump shot. Maybe we just got him for his defense and rebounding. Another crazy athletic young guy with very good defense. Has a good chemistry for MCW, not that it matters. Will be a serviceable role player and energy guy off of the bench. A less polished Kenneth Faried.
    I give #47 a C. Lateral move, got our guy back from last year. Very skilled shooter. Average athlete for his size. Can heat up in a flash. Just small at 5'10. Closest NBA comparison I can think of is Isaiah Thomas. Perfect energy guy to come off the bench if he gets to play in the big league this year.
    I give #52 and #54 a C. Great draft and stash prospects. They are a few years away from coming over and contributing, but with that time, hopefully one of them grows into a version of Manu. the PG Micic is very good in the pick and roll. That seems to be something that we will run a lot in the years to come. So that's a positive. The SG Dangubic, is another very good athlete and feisty defender. IF we can get some sort of production or even pick from them then I'm happy.
    Pick #58 C+ Jordan McRae, I think he will contribute right away. He has a good jump shot that has continued to improve. With a 7'1 wingspan he's a rangy, athletic, scorer. He may have reached his peak. Will be 23 by the time the season starts. An older rookie, a little more mature. I can see him getting some of the minutes from Elliot Willams.

All in all, I give the draft a B+. A couple years away from seeing any return from our first 2 picks. But 3 of our 2nd rounders will be here and developing. I really think they will fill the roster out as eventual role players on our team when its time to compete. My players that I am most excited about seeing this year are McDaniels and Jackson. Hopefully this year we can just let our picks play instead of having a bunch of diff guys from the d league. Let them get minutes develop and increase their value as much as possible.

At the very least, I think this team will be pretty damn exciting to watch.
    Last edited by Goob1880; 06-27-2014 at 10:15 AM.

vCash
    We're 2-3 years out at making a run, so I'm pretty happy with how this unfolded. Embiid and Saric won't make an impact for at least one year (Embiid due to injury, Saric if he opts out of European competition at the end of htis year), so we'll have another good pick. On top of that, we got Saric along with a second round pick and a first round pick for the price of moving down two spots. That's beautiful. That's A+ right there, in my eyes.

I'll be honest, I don't know too much about our second round picks, but they seem to follow the trend of accumulating athletes for an inevitable run - essentially what the Rockets and Spurs have been doing for the last decade-plus.

Happy Summer 2014. Welcome it in with half an hour of awesome, courtesy of yours truly - Patrick Montgomery - and my new EDM megamix, Why You Heff to Bang Mad?

vCash
    B+

Best players at the spots we drafted. It would be an A if saric was playing here this season.

Almost gave them a b- because they took grant over robinson3, but hopefully I'll get over it,

I'll also give them a side grade of A for not drafting Andrew wiggins, this isn't for the reason you think, I just never noticed how insanely ugly he was, and I'm glad I don't have to look at his face for 82 games.

gotta pay the troll toll

vCash
    I have 3 grades for Hinkie's draft....

As far as adding talent I give Hinkie a B....but it's an iffy "B" because of Embiid's questionable health and Saric's willingness to actually come over to the NBA in a year or 2....

He gets an A for turning the #10 pick into Saric, our original 2017 first, and next year's 2nd....he seems to be cleaning up prior front office goofs...

For making the team better next year....Hinkie gets a C....I do like the KJ McDaniels pick (I think he'll be a player for this team) and the Jerami Grant (first round talent in the 2nd)....the rest of the second round was unimpressive to me....Embiid and Saric won't be on this roster for at least a year each....we're in for another LONG season with this team....

vCash
    You're job ever short you big time on your check and tell you the difference will be added to next one? It sucks so bad at the time. But you make it through the week.

Then when you get your next check its super fat and you're like this is awesome!

That's what this draft is like.
    Pay attention. You might learn something.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by MylesKong View Post
    You're job ever short you big time on your check and tell you the difference will be added to next one? It sucks so bad at the time. But you make it through the week.

Then when you get your next check its super fat and you're like this is awesome!

That's what this draft is like.
    Love that analogy. If things pan 2016 and beyond are going to be exciting. Meantime it should still be fun watching this team run and run and run

vCash
    Honestly, I wanna give it an A or A+, but I'll give it a B+ because of the uncertainty factor.

We set up ourselves up so well for the future. Drafted the best players available in the first round with a long term mindset for their contribution. Drafting worse players or players with lower ceilings just so they can contribute this year would just hold us back from the ultimate goal. Yeah they were risks, but we're swinging for the fences here. And that's how you land franchise players.

I like what we did in the 2nd round too. I really like McDaniels and Grant as 2nd round picks. And I like the trade for Pierre Jackson.

I also like getting the extra future 1st round pick from Orlando. That's big.

It was a very good night for the Sixers future.

Born in Philadelphia, retired in Kentucky
    vCash
    I like want the Sixers did with the Saric trade. I think McDaniels was a good pick. He is one of the best defensive players in the draft and loved the Russ Smith/PJ trade. It all depends on Embiid's health. After the initial shock wore off I give them a B. I just can't get over drafting two players in the top ten who are unable to play next season.

vCash
    half of me wants to give them a D an the other half wants me to give them an A

D part- in the nba i really feel like the sixers had a chance to actually be a playoff team, lets face it 2 guys could change a whole team around, an lets face it i didn't want either of our 2 first picks that we selected. i really did not like the saric pick not because he'll be gone 2 years, but when he comes to the sixers he won't be able to play with embiid an noel getting at least 30-40 minutes a game each, i mean did they draft them just so they could trade him? or just so they will play him 20 minutes a game so thats a part i'll have to wait an see.

A part- the potential is through the roofs, an we have tons of assets which i always love. plus i think it's certain we get a top 3 pick next year an if embiid plays to his potnetial so does noel? i think we would have a lethal team by next year, im pretty excited to see what we do this offseason an see if we get some younger guys cheap with potential.

vCash
    Given everything that happened with the lottery and the Embiid injury I give the draft a solid A. Did I want Wiggins? Sure but it was unrealistic to believe they were going to get him at three after Embiid went down. The Saric trade back deal was an excellent move from Hinkie and I liked some of the second rounders we got. Only thing I would have liked to see happen was trading Thad for another first so we could've gotten a pure shooter to pair with MCW in order to ease the scoring pressure on Williams.

Anyone hating on the Embiid pick is short sighted. Would Exum make us a better team next year? Maybe. But we landed a potential franchise altering player, a legitimate building piece in Embiid. Even if he never plays a minute in the NBA because of injuries, it would still be the right pick based off the spot where we took him and the potential greatness that he posses. Players like Embiid win Eastern Conference Championships, especially when you pair him with someone like Noel.
    Last edited by dodgersuck; 06-27-2014 at 06:17 PM.

vCash
    For me, I'll give it an A- Would've liked to secure a shooter, but we can always grab one later. Also would've liked to get PJ Hairston, but it is what it is.

I love the Embiid pick. It's risky, but since we'rebuilding from the ground up, you have to swing for the fences. He's also that type of player that doesn't come around very often, and can be a franchise player if he stays healthy and realizes his potential. I also really like the Saric trade too. Getting our original 2017 first round pick back from Orlando was a great move by Hinkie.

Also how can you not love Saric!? Scroll down to the last video, it's really funny watching this guy. He certainly doesn't lack enthusiasm haha.

http://grantland.com/the-triangle/wh...y-dario-saric/

vCash
    A-

Considering our roster and the players available when we picked, Embiid and Saric are very good picks.
    (Let's just pray they both play after next season and reach their ceiling )
    Getting those picks from Orlando while getting our guy (Saric) is real good

Also I like the Russ Smith for PJ trade and with McDaniels on board, we might have a couple of exciting games next season after all.
    Micic is a good old fashion pass first PG and I like that pick too. I'm not that a fan of Grant but I'm cool with him being picked even though I'd prefer GR3 there.

I just wish we packaged Thad plus Pick 54 for another 1st rounder at least instead of surrounding Dangubic to the
    Spurs for Jefferson and McRae

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast