Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 32 12311 ... LastLast
    vCash

Post Draft Roster Discussion

Wow. What a draft. We can use this thread to discuss how we build the roster around our young corp.

vCash
    So here is our current roster, salaries, etc.:

PG Burke $2.55
    PG/SG Exum $3.01
    PG Lucas $1.6 (not fully guaranteed)

SG Burks $3.2

SF/SG Hayward $4.67 (RFA qualifying offer)
    SF Hood $1.08

PF Evans $1.8
    PF/C Kanter $6

C/PF Favors $12
    C/PF Gobert $1.13

That is $37.04. Now I fully expect that Hayward will get a larger contract in free agency which we will match. Lindsey said he's not going anywhere. We might come to terms with him on an extension. Let's just say he signs for $12 million which puts our cap number at roughly $46 million for 10 players.

The salary cap is supposed to be around $63.2 million: http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/10...arly-5-million So it's safe to assume we have around $17 million in cap room and even more to stay under the luxury (estimated $77 million).

So let's hear some ideas....
    Last edited by Lo Porto; 06-27-2014 at 08:21 AM.

vCash
    We will probably still keep Hayward, but these solid draft picks affords us to not resign him out of desperation. If we do keep Haward I hope we front load his contract.

I'd give Favors and Kanter a year to prove they can play together. I think we have enough assets to pull off a trade for a PF at the deadline if it is a train wreck.

With two solid prospects at each position I'm not sure how active we will be in free agency. We will sign a stretch 4 like Marvin, but other than that we need some playing time for Hood, Exum, and Gobert. I don't want a veteran stealing too much playing time. Oh wait, Corbin is gone.

vCash
    I love our young corp. I do think we need another quality SF/PF. A guy like Marvin would seem to be perfect, but I'm not sure he's going to stick around. There are a lot of contenders who could use a guy like Marvin.

I think a lot of our offseason process is going to come down to player development. Our head coach and staff are all about player development. If we are going to take the current roster and turn it into a contender in 3 years, then these current players have to grow. So I could see us being in the asset accumulation mode once again. Asik would have been nice but that ship has sailed.

We could look into taking Boozer and a first. We give up nothing and get a good pro and a first. I need to analyze all salary dumps to see what we can pick up.

vCash
    New Orleans is shopping forward Ryan Anderson and guard Austin Rivers, league sources tell Yahoo Sports.

Ryan Anderson would be perfect. $8.5 the next two seasons. He would help spread the floor for Favors to work down low and Burke, Burks and Exum to drive the paint. GET HIM LINDSEY!!!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Lo Porto View Post
    New Orleans is shopping forward Ryan Anderson and guard Austin Rivers, league sources tell Yahoo Sports.

Ryan Anderson would be perfect. $8.5 the next two seasons. He would help spread the floor for Favors to work down low and Burke, Burks and Exum to drive the paint. GET HIM LINDSEY!!!
    YES! Ryan Anderson would be perfect. He is such a threat from outside you can't leave him open. It will open up the paint and driving lanes for EXUM (still can't beleive it). Lo we may benefit from that Asik trade after all. New Orleans is rumored to want cap space, so they can't take on any big contracts. I'd offer the GS 2017 pick for him.

vCash
    Agree, Anderson is an ideal fit for us.

vCash
    I'd say we need to resign Hayward at all cost now if we are to be competitive and look to take the next step in the next year or so. I think in a better coaching system he will show his worth along with the rest of the guys.

vCash
    I wouldn't keep Hayward at all costs, but I do think we need to keep him. A frontloaded contract would be perfect.

Ryan Anderson is absolutely perfect for us. I'd send the GS pick in 2017 plus as many 2nd rounders as they want. I think we have extras from GS, ours and of course the one from last night from Memphis.

vCash
    We should be proactive and offer Hayward a front loaded contract now. Other teams will try to get Hayward to sign a back-loaded contract so we will hesitate to match. Can we learn from our Wes Mathews mistake before Hayward signs a poison contract. It doesn't hurt to at least contact Hayward's agent and have us look at any offer he gets before he signs. Then we can match the offer just in a way that benefits us.

vCash
    I don't see us being very active in free agency. I keep thinking of players that would be a great addition but would steal playing time from a young player we need to develop. I see us offering short-term contracts in free agency so we have cap space to sign our young players we want to extend. Another salary dump for future assets could easily happen again.

I like the following moves for us:

1. Get a stretch 4- Ryan Anderson, Matt Bonner, Marvin Williams, Rashard Lewis
    2. Sign a shooter that could play either guard position that Exum is not playing, open driving lanes- Patty Mills, Kirk Hinrich, Jimmer.
    3. Let Exum, Burke, and Burks compete for the starting spots all season.
    4. Potential replacement SF if Hayward's offer is not matched: Chandler Parsons, Luol Deng, Trevor Ariza

PG- Burke, Exum/Mills
    SG- Burks, Exum/Mills
    SF- Hayward, Hood, Evans
    PF- Anderson, Kanter, Evans
    C- Favors, Gobert

Is this team not the beginning of the Utah Spurs? Amazingly similar if you over think it as bad as I did. Exum (Parker), Burks (Ginobli), Favors (Duncan), Hayward (Leonard), and a bunch of shooters.

vCash
    Favors does not equate to Duncan lol

vCash
    I think this is the roster , I don't see us getting Anderson but maybe I think this year it's really about the guys we have

We are going to dive in with these guys as is

If Exum really pans out I see us moving Burks as he is a somewhat coveted piece potentially and is due for an extension. That being said I think we start him more to showcase him than anything else

This is a huge year for Kanter as well we are going to be evaluating Kanter very closely

Burke/Exum
    Burks/Exum/Hood
    Hayward/Hood
    Kanter/ Evans
    Favors/Gobert

8-9 man rotation

I think this year is going to be tough in a lot of ways
    30 wins is my optimistic estimate

vCash
    I do think that this year is about playing who we have, but this team needs experience. We can't expect to just throw a couple of worthless contracts on here and expect to get what comes from a vet like Millsap, Richard Jefferson, etc. So I think we need to add at least one quality veteran SF or PF. Hopefully, this is a guy we can start sometimes and bring off the bench sometimes especially as we get further into the season should Exum or Hood emerge.

The guys who fit the bill are:
    Ryan Anderson (trade)
    Marvin Williams
    Channing Frye
    Danny Granger
    Al-Farouq Aminu
    Thabo Sefolosha

vCash
    Disagree,
    This season is about developing the guys we have and we have enough guys

At SF we have Hayward/Hood I can see fortifying that position but we also want to play Burks , Exum , Hayward can play 2 or 3 ....

Why add a high priced vet to take away time? We have our vets here they are Hayward, Favors, Burks, Kanter

I would take. Guy who is a good piece for a few years but I don't want a rental

Page 1 of 32 12311 ... LastLast