Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    vCash

Post #31 Damien Inglis

Seems like a good defender and quick on his feet for his size.

vCash
    I'll admit I know pretty much nothing about this kid. Interesting to see if we try to bring him over right away, or let him play overseas for a season. My instincts are to let him stay, but the Bucks do seem to try to bring guys over right away.

I think I really like this pick. Seems like a swing for the fences type of move. From everything I've heard, he's not a great shooter, and he needs to tighten his handles, but does everything else pretty well, despite being super young. I think he'll naturally get better as a shooter by just playing basketball and practicing, so he may be a nice upside pick.

vCash
    He can play sf/pf. Seems like Hammond draft both guys in the second round cause they can play multiple positions. O'Bryant can guard three positions they said in that one video.

vCash
    Andrew Gruman ‏@AndrewGruman · Jun 27
    #Bucks GM John Hammond feels Damien Inglis would have been a top 15 pick in next year's draft had he not come out this year.

vCash

vCash

Seems like a scrappy defender. Moute? But with little better jumpshot?

vCash
    There’s something that’s been lost in the sea of hoopla that surrounded Jason Kidd’s dramatic arrival in Milwaukee.

For years, Milwaukee Bucks fans have complained about a lack of explosive, athletic wing talent with potential. Before last season, was there really a prospect Milwaukee had at the two or the three to be all that optimistic about since Michael Redd’s ascension from second round pick to NBA All-Star? Joe Alexander flamed out. Aside from him, the teams shuffled in a collection of veteran cast-offs over the years in Bobby Simmons, Richard Jefferson, John Salmons, Corey Maggette and Monta Ellis. Never was there a young fella to be optimistic about.

The pendulum has swung in the other direction. Hard.

Milwaukee’s core is now built around a pair of 19-year-olds — Jabari Parker and Giannis Antetokounmpo – that can bounce between a variety of positions. In an increasingly positionless NBA, versatile forwards that can handle the ball, pass and shoot seem invaluable. The Bucks certainly seem to think so, as there’s a third teammate who hopes to join the two building blocks soon, literally and figuratively, in a couple of cities where being under 21 is just no fun.

“I leave on Saturday for Vegas. I’m going to Vegas to join the team,” the teenager said via a phone interview from France. “Then I’m moving to Milwaukee right after the Summer League.”

Damien Inglis won’t suit up for the Bucks in the Las Vegas Summer League. The 6’9″, 240 lb. swingman from French Guyana broke his foot in June, three weeks before the Bucks chose him with first pick of the second round of the 2014 NBA Draft, the 31st pick overall. But Inglis hopes to be healthy enough to start training and playing basketball again in about six weeks, a timetable that would have him healed long before the team’s preseason camp tips off in early October.

The road to getting drafted was a long and arduous one for the young man from Cayenne, French Guyana. Inglis, who speaks four languages (French, English, French Guyanese Creole, and Spanish), says that he picked up a basketball for the first time when he was 9 years old. Just five years later, he traveled 4400 miles and an ocean away to Paris, France to begin honing his professional craft.

Inglis entered the INSEP (Institut National du Sport et de l’Éducation Physique), a state-run secondary school and training center for elite athletes that counts Tony Parker and Boris Diaw among its former pupils. The move to the French mainland was not an easy one for him.

“I was by myself. I left French Guyana when I was 14 years old,” Inglis said. “My family was far and I had to play basketball. It was cold, it was tough. I was family-sick, homesick. But I really wanted to make it, so that’s why I kept going.”

In addition to moving halfway around the globe, he was faced with the challenge of playing against much older competition.

“When I got to Paris, I was playing against students that were older than me, so I had to take it up to another level to be at the same level as the others.”

A year ago, Inglis moved on from INSEP to the French Pro A League, the country’s top professional basketball league. There, playing for Roanne, he averaged 4.6 points and 3.6 rebounds per game while playing 15.3 minutes per contest. He shot nearly 50% from the field and connected on 39% of his three-pointers. (Note: The FIBA three-point distance used in Europe sits about halfway between the shorter distance used by the NCAA and the longer one used by the NBA.)

Inglis counts rebounding, passing, and defense — especially on-ball defense — among his strengths. He says he wants to continue to work on his shooting and offense, but if he keeps shooting as well as he did in Roanne and if he continues to penetrate, pass, and finish at the rim with either hand, he may not have so far to go in those areas either.

Inglis is also flexible when it comes to finding the right position for his skill set in the NBA.

“I don’t really have a position. My game is all-arround, you know? Sometimes I play the 3, sometimes I play the 2. I already played the 1, but I’m not saying I’m a point guard — I’m not a point guard — but I already played 1. 4 and 5? I’ve played 4 and 5 too, for just a couple of minutes. But I’d have to say my position is the 2 or 3.”

Inglis won’t be the only player from French Guyana in the NBA this season. Washington Wizards center Kevin Seraphim, also hails from Cayenne, the capital city and home of 60,000 residents.

“It’s a small city,” Inglis said. “They like basketball, so when I got drafted, everyone was happy for me. Everybody wished me good luck. Most of them want to come to Milwaukee and watch a game and visit the city at the same time, so I think Milwaukee is going to be one of the destinations for people from French Guyana.”

Inglis also said that at the time of his drafting, he was familiar with the team. After watching the NBA for a decade, Inglis says, “Milwaukee is a team that I know.”

But the Bucks weren’t the home of Inglis’ favorite NBA player growing up. ”It’s funny because we don’t play the same position, but Shaquille O’Neal was my favorite player.”

And then a reminder that Inglis is a teenager, one who was just 11 years old in 2006.

“He was my favorite player when he was in Miami.”
    http://www.bucksketball.com/2014/07/...summer-league/

vCash

Inglis spotted at Miller park!

vCash
    He's been at the last 2 games. Must be a baseball fan lol
    Young Guns

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BroncoBuck View Post
    He's been at the last 2 games. Must be a baseball fan lol
    Sat behind him yesterday, I am not the type to hassle an athlete for a picture or auto. So many people were and most had no idea who he even was. That said on the surface he seemed to be very kind to those hassling him. He even signed and gave his hat to an older gentleman who later showed no class as he was heckling Weeks all game like no other including racial references. One thing very noticeable Inglis is long very LONG. His hands are huge. He’s in a walking boot. Minus his size and bucks apparel he seems like a regular guy just drinking some Mt Dews, eating fries while watching the game.

I wish this kid the best, from what I’ve seen video wise he has a very unique skill set at his size. Has a team ever had more guys 6ft 8+ under 20 years old with this type of passing potential/handles?

vCash
    Its a shame he was injured. Would of been nice to seen him paired up with Parker/Giannis/O'Bryant in summer league a few games. I hear Inglis is a good defender as well. Moute with a jump shot? That be nice.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by MILLERHIGHLIFE View Post
    Its a shame he was injured. Would of been nice to seen him paired up with Parker/Giannis/O'Bryant in summer league a few games. I hear Inglis is a good defender as well. Moute with a jump shot? That be nice.
    Could be, sounds like his shot needs some work. From video's his release looks a bit poor, read some scouting reports stating his career will be defined by his ability to develop a jumper.

Perhaps a better comparison is to another Frenchman Boris Diaw. Tried to find a scouting report quickly here's what I pulled. Quite similar.
    http://www.thedraftreview.com/index....d=702&Itemid=5
    Last edited by muelly; 07-28-2014 at 11:18 AM.

vCash
    I was thinking with this foot injury we could have him sit out the season, giving us a roster spot while allowing him to get his money and keep other teams from grabbing him. Foot injuries need time to heel, so why not wait to put him on the floor.
    Young Guns

vCash
    I'm fine with him getting a roster spot. I mean I like the guy, but is losing Miroslav Radulica really going to set this team back? If we have to buy out Delfino, are we going from contender to last place? The answer to both is no. At first, I wanted him to stay overseas for a season. But I do get why you'd want to bring him over right away. In France, you basically have no control over his progression. His team will see him as a one year asset, and not care about his development. They will use him in whatever role they see fit. Here, we can have him working on the things we want him to work on. Even if he goes to the D-League, I'm sure we still have some say over a few of the things he's doing. I think I like the idea of getting the coaches hands on him right away and having them mold him into the player they think he can become.

vCash
    I rather bring him over. You give a good point. He probably wont progress playing over seas. Probably get a reduced role there any way or risk of another injury on another team. Rather bring him here have him watch and learn or have him play a couple games in the d-league. But like you said wouldn't be hard to make room for him. Could unload Delfino for a future second round pick or whatever. Could waived Wright. Plenty of options. But I wouldn't let go of Raduljinca. I'm sure there would be a market for Zaza or Ersan soon enough. Since there's still teams that missed out on landing free agents. Bucks have to do some kind roster moves soon though. Not enough spots. We're over the limit.

#1 Giannis
    #2 Parker
    #3 Sanders
    #4 Knight
    #5 Henson
    #6 Middleton
    #7 Ilyasova
    #8 Pachulia
    #9 Inglis
    #10 O'Bryant
    #11 Wolters
    #12 Marshall
    #13 Bayless?
    #14 Wright
    #15 Delfino
    #16 Raduljinca
    #17 Mayo

I believe I mentioned everyone. Two have to go to get it down to roster limit of #15. Wright is unguaranteed. Others have team options and what not. I don't mind trimming the roster with a 3 for 2 trade or something like that.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast