Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Windsor, Earth's Rectum (as reported by Stephen Colbert).
    vCash

Where do you think Bird would go in the draft these days?

When drafting players in recent years (Iíve noticed since the late 90ís), teams put a lot of weight into ATHLETICISM. There seems to be a belief that athleticism means more potential. It has paid off in cases like Tracy McGrady and Kobe Bryant, obviously, but there have also been a great many busts. Skill seems to be neglected in favour of athleticism in many instances. I was shocked to see Kyle Anderson drop all the way to 30th overall. I will be the first to admit that I donít know jack about college ball, and you canít rely on per-game averages on college to project NBA success, but I thought Anderson put up some CRAZY impressive numbers (great passer). A lot of mock drafts had him going in the mid-late teens. I had asked PSD for their input on Anderson, and some of you guys answered back that he had a weight issue and wasnít athletic (both legit red flags).

It got me thinking. Where would a guy like Bird end up getting drafted today? Bird was one of the least athletic greats of all time. In his own draft he only went 6th (behind Mychal Thompson, Phil Ford (?), Ricky Roby (?) Purvis Short and Michael Ray). Where would he go in a draft these days? Would he go top 5? Top 10? Or would he slip into the mid-late teens? And how about guys like Barkley, who were considered to have a weight problem in college? Would he have slid down the draft ladder?

I do feel somewhat vindicated in my tentative excitement about Anderson given that the Spurs drafted him, and nobody has done better than the Spurs in the last 17 years when it comes to drafting players (not that I expect him to be an All-Star, but I expect he could be a solid rotation player in the NBA). The Spurs though, have had some success with guys that have Ďweightí issues or are Ďunauthenticí (see Diaw and Mills and perhaps Bonner as well).

In this context, Iím not sure that some of the guys we know to be great players, Bird, Barkley, ect., would be drafted as high these days.

Where do you think Bird would be drafted these days? Or Barkely? And are there any other players you think would slip in the draft these days that were drafted high in the past?
    What the eye doesn't see and the mind doesn't know, doesn't exist.
    Follow me on Twitter and I'll follow back: @JasonJHorn

vCash
    #1 easily. he averaged 33/13/4.4 his first year in college.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by dhopisthename View Post
    #1 easily. he averaged 33/13/4.4 his first year in college.
    Those are impressive numbers, but they weren't even impressive enough to get hims first in his own draft.... and scouts would see those numbers as being inflated because there were no other good players on his college team, where as recently we've seen guys from the same program both get drafted top 3 twice in the last few seasons.

Also... I would assume that with today's slower paced games, those averages wouldn't be so high.

vCash
    Second pick in the draft.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by JasonJohnHorn View Post
    Those are impressive numbers, but they weren't even impressive enough to get hims first in his own draft.... and scouts would see those numbers as being inflated because there were no other good players on his college team, where as recently we've seen guys from the same program both get drafted top 3 twice in the last few seasons.

Also... I would assume that with today's slower paced games, those averages wouldn't be so high.
    he would still be putting up 20+ on killer efficiency with a great 3 point shot which is much more valued in today's game then it was then. he did that as a 20 year old rookie. assuming he came out after one year he would be the #1 pick for sure. we also never saw some actual combine numbers to see how unathletic he really was

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by JasonJohnHorn View Post

Well ya, that was because he was drafted before he made it his intention to get drafted lol.

vCash
    yeah bird would have gone #1 if it wasn't for a really weird rule back then

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1978_NBA_draft

vCash
    Bird was a great equalizer with his massive threat to hit any shot, which demanded a close out where he would use one of the best fakes. If they're more athletic they are flying by and he can nail the 3 with a micrometer of daylight.

Larry Bird had a strong base and could play in the post very well, as well as rebound. I don't know many teams that would pass up on 3 point shooting/playmaking/rebounding. Even though wiggins is a sexy prospect at number 1, I think Bird was still the better prospect (but I am trying to forget Larry Bird's career to make that comparison, which is hard for me to do admittedly)
    "If you find yourself in the majority, rethink your position" - Mark Twain

vCash

Thanks! I did not know that. You learn something new every day!

vCash

Yup

Before the draft, Larry Bird had just finished his junior year at Indiana State. However, he was eligible to be drafted without applying for "hardship" because his original college class at the Indiana University had graduated.[9][14] He initially enrolled at Indiana in 1974 but dropped out before the season began. After sitting out a year, he enrolled at Indiana State.[15] Despite being eligible for the draft, he stated that he would return to college for his senior season. His hometown team, the Indiana Pacers, initially held the first overall pick. However, when they failed to persuade him to leave college early, they traded the first pick to the Blazers, who also failed to convince him into signing.[16][17] Five teams, including the Pacers who held the third pick, passed on Bird until the Celtics used the sixth pick to draft him. They drafted him even though they knew that they might lose the exclusive rights to him if he didn't sign before the next draft. He could reenter the draft in 1979 and sign with the other team that drafted him. Nevertheless, on April 1979, he signed a five-year, US$3.25-million contract with the Celtics, which made him the highest-paid rookie in the history of team sport at that time.[18]

vCash
    in a nest up in the rafters

vCash
    Bird was drafted highly in part because he took an ISU team with no other NBA caliber players to the NCAA Championship game. Stephan Curry did not get that far and got drafted #6 (?) with similar questions about his athleticism.

NBA decision makers like obvious, eye test level evaluation that doesn't require any thinking. No. 1 right now is obvious athleticism. But carrying a team in the tourney is pretty obvious as well.

vCash
    He would have been the #1 pick yesterday for sure.

vCash
    Bird >>>>> Wiggins

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by IndyRealist View Post
    Bird was drafted highly in part because he took an ISU team with no other NBA caliber players to the NCAA Championship game. Stephan Curry did not get that far and got drafted #6 (?) with similar questions about his athleticism.

NBA decision makers like obvious, eye test level evaluation that doesn't require any thinking. No. 1 right now is obvious athleticism. But carrying a team in the tourney is pretty obvious as well.
    But Shelvin Mack did get that far too with less.

It is tough to base it on an eye test, especially today, as they are playing 30 games in a system not like what you run, against pretty weak competition overall with 5 or 6 real quality games.

No matter which way you go you can bust. Pick a guy with an injury history in college and you could get Oden, or you could get Kyle Lowry.

Pick a guy off of game tape and you can get good or bad. Pick a guy off of athleticism it goes both ways. Same with high character guys, could get you Duncan... or Jimmer.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast