Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    vCash

2014 NBA Draft Thread

I realize that we have bigger fish to fry this offseason, but if Houston keeps this first round pick in a draft this deep, that could end up being a pretty damn talented player. Hopefully we can get some draft discussion going tonight....

vCash
    Marc Stein ✔ @ESPNSteinLine

Rockets, I'm told, have been working tonight toward trading away their No. 25 pick for a future pick to keep it off next season's payroll
    This thread right here is why i stay out of the nba main forum on psd lol
    http://forums.prosportsdaily.com/sho...am-for-melo:D;)

vCash
    I'm a little surprised nothing has been announced yet. We're only three picks away and no news whatsoever on Houston's pick. If they end up keeping this pick, I'm hoping they get a decent bench defender, whether its a wing or a big man. If Napier is still sitting there at 25, I'd totally be fine with them taking him, too. Especially if they're looking to get rid of Lin.

vCash
    Clint Capela! I like it a lot. Not only does Houston not have to take away from their available cap space, but they can get a guy who could fill a big need for them in a couple of years. With Asik gone, Howard is really their only solid defensive big and Capela seems to be a really solid, long, athletic defender who can really crash the glass. I would have been fine with Napier, Hood or Early, but Capela fits the Rockets needs in a variety of ways.

vCash
    And he becomes a really good asset to offer in a trade in the future. I kind of wanted Kyle Anderson, I think he has got some good potential. But this sounds really good.

We still have the 42nd pick. Let's see what Morey does.
    Rockets | Texans | Astros

vCash
    I was really hoping KJ McDaniel fell to 42 to give Houston some perimeter defense, but he's gone now, too. I would also love Early or Robinson III here. Chad Ford has Houston taking Patric Young at 42 and I'd be totally fine with that. As I said earlier, Houston really needs a defensive big in the front court and Young is a guy who could contribute early on. Plus, you know Parsons will be a fan of the kid.

vCash
    I don't expect us to keep the pick anyway. First year of the contract is always guaranteed for second rounders, right?

Kyle Anderson got stolen by the Spurs at 30. Kind of reminds me of Kawhy Leonard.

vCash
    Nick Johnson. Another pick I like from Houston. I would have liked a defensive big man here, but Johnson is a sweet shooting combo guard who can really defend. And considering he's a junior with big game experience, I could really see this kid contributing early on for Houston since he excels in two areas where they could really use the help. I'm curious to see if they keep him though if his contract does indeed count toward the cap.

vCash
    Nick Johnson from Arizona. Fast and athletic.

vCash
    Actually, reading a couple of articles, I'm pretty sure second round picks are not guaranteed contracts. So unless Houston just needs to deal Johnson as an additional asset, it would appear he is here to stay for a while. It'd be nice if he could contribute early on since the Rockets could really use a guy with his strengths.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by mightybosstone View Post
    Actually, reading a couple of articles, I'm pretty sure second round picks are not guaranteed contracts. So unless Houston just needs to deal Johnson as an additional asset, it would appear he is here to stay for a while. It'd be nice if he could contribute early on since the Rockets could really use a guy with his strengths.
    But even if it's not guaranteed, if you keep him, it has to become guaranteed. A player on the roster will always count against the cap. But anyway, I think drafted players are always guaranteed on the first year, and he already has a cap hold.

vCash
    Apparently the Rockets bought the 53rd pick from Minnesota, a 21-year-old scoring SF from Italy named Allesandro Gentiles. It seems like another guy to stash for the future, but Morey has a pretty decent track with second round picks, so we'll see if it amounts to anything.

Not a bad night for Houston. They added a couple of solid players to stash overseas that could join the squad in a year or two or be assets. And they added an NBA ready combo guard who fits the team's needs well and apparently is the nephew of Dennis Johnson, so he should already have a decent relationship with Kevin McHale. I kept waiting for Houston to deal this first rounder, but there's always that possibility they could use some of these assets later to get rid of Lin's contract.

vCash
    I have to agree! I think we had a solid draft. When I first seen Nick Johnson highlights, I thought he would be a first round talent, and to get him in the second just seems like a steal to me. Our 1st round pick reminded me of a Ben Wallace type when I first seen video of him, and he has time to develop overseas.. so I can't complain. I love our front office

vCash
    Anyone know if those 2 guys we got for T-Rob last year are doing anything? It seems like alot of people thought the wing was gonna come over last year. Don't remember their names

vCash
    Just a correction, second round picks do not have a cap hold. So Johnson will not count against the cap until he is signed.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast