Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    vCash

Houston could bring back Lowry if they miss out on Lebron, Melo

It's not inconceivable that Lowry could wind up playing with James if he re-ups with the Miami Heat, but the economics in that equation would make it extremely challenging. The more likely scenario, by far, involves Lowry getting paid handsomely by a team that wasn't able to convince the four-time MVP to come its way. According to two people with knowledge of the situation, the Houston Rockets whom Lowry played for from 2009 to 2012 are one of those teams. While Rockets general manager Daryl Morey will woo free agents like James, Anthony and Heat center Chris Bosh (if he opts out of his deal), he also will pursue Lowry if those initial options are no longer in play. USA Today Sports
    Via Twitter

Wow. That's kind of surprising considering the way Lowry and McHale left things. If they did whiff on Lebron and Melo, though, Lowry would be a solid consolation prize who would fix a lot of the problems the Rockets have on both sides of the ball. I did really enjoy watching him play in a Rockets uniform.

vCash
    Assuming he demands as much money as expected after last season, I don't really like it. I don't think he is worth it. Signing him, and re-signing Parsons will take all cap space, and we still won't have much aside from the 5 starters, one bench player and the MLE. I'd rather use his $10 to say $14 million in two or three solid role players, especially considering how good was Beverley last season.

Lowry only really dominated after Gay was traded. I wonder how he would fit with Harden controlling the ball. The only thing we really need from a PG is defense and shooting. Beverley fits that, for more 10-14 times less money.

Plus, it's not the first time Lowry breaks out on a contract year. And there's the beef with McHale.
    Rockets | Texans | Astros

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by EDUTEXANS View Post
    Assuming he demands as much money as expected after last season, I don't really like it. I don't think he is worth it. Signing him, and re-signing Parsons will take all cap space, and we still won't have much aside from the 5 starters, one bench player and the MLE. I'd rather use his $10 to say $14 million in two or three solid role players, especially considering how good was Beverley last season.

Lowry only really dominated after Gay was traded. I wonder how he would fit with Harden controlling the ball. The only thing we really need from a PG is defense and shooting. Beverley fits that, for more 10-14 times less money.

Plus, it's not the first time Lowry breaks out on a contract year. And there's the beef with McHale.
    I'll admit I'm concerned about the amount and length of Lowry's potential contract, but he might be exactly what the Rockets need. They really could have used another perimeter scorer, shooter and defender against Portland and Lowry could fill those voids with ease. I don't think he'll be nearly as productive in Houston as he was in Toronto last year, but he should be every bit as efficient and it would be nice to have another decent distributor in the starting five.

I also think this would free up Beverly to play a 6th man role and defend whatever perimeter player the Rockets need him to defend. I could see Houston playing a LOT of small ball with Lowry, Beverley, Harden, Parsons and Dwight. They would still need another bench wing and bench big, but this looks like a pretty solid 9-man rotation:

PG Kyle Lowry / Patrick Beverley
    SG James Harden / Patrick Beverley
    SF Chandler Parsons / Bench wing
    PF Terrence Jones / Donatas Motiejunas
    C Dwight Howard / Bench big

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by mightybosstone View Post
    I'll admit I'm concerned about the amount and length of Lowry's potential contract, but he might be exactly what the Rockets need. They really could have used another perimeter scorer, shooter and defender against Portland and Lowry could fill those voids with ease. I don't think he'll be nearly as productive in Houston as he was in Toronto last year, but he should be every bit as efficient and it would be nice to have another decent distributor in the starting five.

I also think this would free up Beverly to play a 6th man role and defend whatever perimeter player the Rockets need him to defend. I could see Houston playing a LOT of small ball with Lowry, Beverley, Harden, Parsons and Dwight. They would still need another bench wing and bench big, but this looks like a pretty solid 9-man rotation:

PG Kyle Lowry / Patrick Beverley
    SG James Harden / Patrick Beverley
    SF Chandler Parsons / Bench wing
    PF Terrence Jones / Donatas Motiejunas
    C Dwight Howard / Bench big
    No, this looks like a (really) solid starting 5 with one bench player who we actually wanna see playing. Motiejunas sucks, OK? He can't play 5, and he hasn't showed much at the 4 as well. Canaan and Covington (and Daniels if we pick his option) are projects. And we would only have a MLE to offer aside from minimum contracts to fill the roster, if we re-sign Parsons this season, which is expected.

Lowry will get signed for no less than $50 million over 4 years. That's a lot of money for a team with bigger needs. And you said yourself, he isn't going to be nearly as productive in Houston, so he's not worth it. Not here.

vCash
    No, this looks like a (really) solid starting 5 with one bench player who we actually wanna see playing. Motiejunas sucks, OK? He can't play 5, and he hasn't showed much at the 4 as well. Canaan and Covington (and Daniels if we pick his option) are projects. And we would only have a MLE to offer aside from minimum contracts to fill the roster, if we re-sign Parsons this season, which is expected.
    You don't need a team to be 10 players deep. When it comes to the playoffs, you just need a solid 8-9 man rotation. This lineup would give Houston six solid players to that rotation and they could easily add a couple of decent bench pieces with the MLE and veteran minimum contracts. Don't forget that Houston already has its fair share of assets. They could move guys like D-Mo or Canaan or use their many available picks to add rotational veterans.

Lowry will get signed for no less than $50 million over 4 years. That's a lot of money for a team with bigger needs. And you said yourself, he isn't going to be nearly as productive in Houston, so he's not worth it. Not here.
    You're taking what I said out of context. Just because he won't be as productive because of fewer looks doesn't mean he'll be a worse basketball player in Houston. He won't be an 18/7 guy, but I could see him being a very efficient 15/6 guy in Houston, and that would be a massive upgrade at PG.

All that being said, I'd still much rather see Lebron, Melo, Love or Bosh in a Rockets uniform. But if Houston can't get those guys, Lowry would be a pretty solid Plan B. It's not like there are a ton of great free agents in that $5-7 million range lying around that Houston could add that would make a greater impact on this team than Lowry could.

vCash
    You don't need a team to be 10 players deep. When it comes to the playoffs, you just need a solid 8-9 man rotation. This lineup would give Houston six solid players to that rotation and they could easily add a couple of decent bench pieces with the MLE and veteran minimum contracts. Don't forget that Houston already has its fair share of assets. They could move guys like D-Mo or Canaan or use their many available picks to add rotational veterans.
    You do realize there's an 82-game regular season before the Playoffs, right? Depth is very, very important. We'd still have this two huge holes at big man and wing man off the bench, being able to fill only one properly. Motiejunas, Canaan and low picks don't have much value. And, even with the Pelicans' pick, without cap space or big contracts, we can't trade for many solid players.

You're taking what I said out of context. Just because he won't be as productive because of fewer looks doesn't mean he'll be a worse basketball player in Houston. He won't be an 18/7 guy, but I could see him being a very efficient 15/6 guy in Houston, and that would be a massive upgrade at PG.
    But then you'll be paying star money for a 15-point guy, who will be second option at everything playing with Harden. And it isn't a "massive" upgrade at PG. Especially considering Beverley should be a better defender. Don't forget last season was just Beverley's second. And first full season.

All that being said, I'd still much rather see Lebron, Melo, Love or Bosh in a Rockets uniform. But if Houston can't get those guys, Lowry would be a pretty solid Plan B. It's not like there are a ton of great free agents in that $5-7 million range lying around that Houston could add that would make a greater impact on this team than Lowry could.
    There are a few. I'm thinking Hawes with that MLE.

vCash
    You do realize there's an 82-game regular season before the Playoffs, right? Depth is very, very important. We'd still have this two huge holes at big man and wing man off the bench, being able to fill only one properly. Motiejunas, Canaan and low picks don't have much value. And, even with the Pelicans' pick, without cap space or big contracts, we can't trade for many solid players.
    Houston can build a 12-man roster. I assure you. And if they have to rest Dwight, Harden and co. a bit throughout the season, so be it. San Antonio does it every year and they do it with ease. They have maybe 9-10 decent rotational players on that roster. You're telling me that between Canaan, Motiejunas, Daniels, draft picks, the MLE and veteran minimum contracts, Houston can't find 3-4 more competent basketball players? I totally disagree. It's not like Patty Mills is making $7 million a year or something.

But then you'll be paying star money for a 15-point guy, who will be second option at everything playing with Harden. And it isn't a "massive" upgrade at PG. Especially considering Beverley should be a better defender. Don't forget last season was just Beverley's second. And first full season.
    Have you looked around the league lately? Guys who can score an efficient 15/6 a game and play decent defense are going to make at least $10-12 million a year. Hell, look at Bosh. He's basically been a 16/7 guy the last two years and he's about to make $40 million over the next two years unless he opts out. That's just what you pay for for that kind of production on a winning basketball team. I'd rather pay $12-14 million a year on Lowry to give me 15/6 than spend $6-7 million a year on a couple of guys who will give me 10/4 in limited minutes.

I do agree that Beverley played well last year and deserves a chance to start again, but I also think Houston just needs more talent on the roster overall. Since they've already got top 5-10 players at their respective positions in Harden, Parsons and Dwight, PG and PF are really the two places left they could make a substantial improvement. If they've got the money and they can't get Lebron/Melo/Bosh/Love to sign, why not go after Lowry instead?

There are a few. I'm thinking Hawes with that MLE.
    lol.... C'mon man. You're not getting Spencer Hawes with the MLE. That's crazy, especially since he'd be playing less than 20 minutes a night on this roster. Why would he want to come to Houston to make less money and play fewer minutes? You're gonna have to do better than Spencer Hawes to get me to buy into that argument.

vCash
    Houston can build a 12-man roster. I assure you. And if they have to rest Dwight, Harden and co. a bit throughout the season, so be it. San Antonio does it every year and they do it with ease. They have maybe 9-10 decent rotational players on that roster. You're telling me that between Canaan, Motiejunas, Daniels, draft picks, the MLE and veteran minimum contracts, Houston can't find 3-4 more competent basketball players? I totally disagree. It's not like Patty Mills is making $7 million a year or something.
    That's exacthly what I'm saying. There's no telling how will Daniels os Canaan play. Same can't be said for Motiejunas. We probably won't be drafting this year. And we have no cap space to absorve contracts trading picks. And for every Patty Mills, there ar two, three or more Omri Casspis.

Have you looked around the league lately? Guys who can score an efficient 15/6 a game and play decent defense are going to make at least $10-12 million a year. Hell, look at Bosh. He's basically been a 16/7 guy the last two years and he's about to make $40 million over the next two years unless he opts out. That's just what you pay for for that kind of production on a winning basketball team. I'd rather pay $12-14 million a year on Lowry to give me 15/6 than spend $6-7 million a year on a couple of guys who will give me 10/4 in limited minutes.

I do agree that Beverley played well last year and deserves a chance to start again, but I also think Houston just needs more talent on the roster overall. Since they've already got top 5-10 players at their respective positions in Harden, Parsons and Dwight, PG and PF are really the two places left they could make a substantial improvement. If they've got the money and they can't get Lebron/Melo/Bosh/Love to sign, why not go after Lowry instead?
    Because PF proved to be a bigger need, and there's no bench to work with. Signing Lowry, and re-signing Lowry leaves with no cap space for the next two years to three years.
    lol.... C'mon man. You're not getting Spencer Hawes with the MLE. That's crazy, especially since he'd be playing less than 20 minutes a night on this roster. Why would he want to come to Houston to make less money and play fewer minutes? You're gonna have to do better than Spencer Hawes to get me to buy into that argument.
    That's a 4-year 25 million deal if I'm not wrong. He would play backup 5 and backup or starting 4. Probably more than 30 minutes a game.

vCash
    That's exacthly what I'm saying. There's no telling how will Daniels os Canaan play. Same can't be said for Motiejunas. We probably won't be drafting this year. And we have no cap space to absorve contracts trading picks. And for every Patty Mills, there are two, three or more Omri Casspis.
    True. But for every Omri Casspi or Francisco Garcia Morey has signed, he's also found guys like Courtney Lee, Luis Scola, Patrick Beverley, Goran Dragic and Kyle Lowry. Morey is the king of finding diamonds in the rough when it comes to cheap role players. I think there's a damn good chance that either Canaan, Daniels or Motiejunas turns into a legitimate rotational guy moving forward. Then he just has to find 1-2 more decent guys using the MLE and vet minimum deals. Assuming they had a roster with Lowry, Harden, Parsons and Dwight, I don't think he would have to work that hard to find guys that would be willing to play here for cheap.

Because PF proved to be a bigger need, and there's no bench to work with. Signing Lowry, and re-signing Lowry leaves with no cap space for the next two years to three years.

That's a 4-year 25 million deal if I'm not wrong. He would play backup 5 and backup or starting 4. Probably more than 30 minutes a game.
    But here's where I'm confused. It seems like you're suggesting that if Houston misses out on Lebron/Melo/Love/Bosh that they should save the cap space they've got for next offseason and go for a PF instead. Except you're also saying that Houston should spend the cap space on cheaper role players like Hawes. You can't have your cake and eat it too. If the Rockets opt not to get a Lowry-type player as a backup this offseason and instead spend it on 2-3 role players, they wont' have that cap space the following season to add a big name.

If anything, I think Houston is almost forced to use the cap space on a big name this summer. If they don't, then they could be sitting between a rock and a hard place next summer when Parsons becomes an UFA. They're in that perfect position right now where they can add a star player to the roster and spend big money and still keep Parsons in the process. They won't have that luxury next summer.

vCash
    True. But for every Omri Casspi or Francisco Garcia Morey has signed, he's also found guys like Courtney Lee, Luis Scola, Patrick Beverley, Goran Dragic and Kyle Lowry. Morey is the king of finding diamonds in the rough when it comes to cheap role players. I think there's a damn good chance that either Canaan, Daniels or Motiejunas turns into a legitimate rotational guy moving forward. Then he just has to find 1-2 more decent guys using the MLE and vet minimum deals. Assuming they had a roster with Lowry, Harden, Parsons and Dwight, I don't think he would have to work that hard to find guys that would be willing to play here for cheap.
    But that's also a risk. If those guys don't turn into something good, there aren't many options left. That makes Lowry not worth it for me. But I have a feeling we'll just have to agree to disagree. Again.

But here's where I'm confused. It seems like you're suggesting that if Houston misses out on Lebron/Melo/Love/Bosh that they should save the cap space they've got for next offseason and go for a PF instead. Except you're also saying that Houston should spend the cap space on cheaper role players like Hawes. You can't have your cake and eat it too. If the Rockets opt not to get a Lowry-type player as a backup this offseason and instead spend it on 2-3 role players, they wont' have that cap space the following season to add a big name.
    I'm exclusively saying we should spend the cap space to add depth, if we fail to add a big name this summer (LeBron or Anthony). I'm saying, if we sign Lowry, we won't be able to fill the rest of the team with quality rotational role players. And a talented starting 5 with no bench is not the way to go, in my opinion, unless it includes three huge superstars like Howard, Harden and Melo or James. Lowry isn't such a game-changer.

I'm not thinking next summer. I'm thinking now. For me it's LeBron, Melo or two or three or four quality role players to come off the bench or start at PF.

If anything, I think Houston is almost forced to use the cap space on a big name this summer. If they don't, then they could be sitting between a rock and a hard place next summer when Parsons becomes an UFA. They're in that perfect position right now where they can add a star player to the roster and spend big money and still keep Parsons in the process. They won't have that luxury next summer.
    I'm 90% sure Parsons gets re-signed this offseason.

vCash
    Money heals almost all wounds.

vCash
    Parsons' option officially declined. We'll probably extend his QO now, making him a RFA with a $2.8 million cap hold.

vCash
    So it looks like our wet dream of Lebron james coming to houston has officially dried up. That leaves melo but I'm at about a 20% chance melo comes to H-town. So veteran signings it is. I just hope DM dosnt panic and trades for either rondo or Williams.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Asik's better View Post
    So it looks like our wet dream of Lebron james coming to houston has officially dried up. That leaves melo but I'm at about a 20% chance melo comes to H-town. So veteran signings it is. I just hope DM dosnt panic and trades for either rondo or Williams.
    Deron Williams? Oh boy, I hope not. I would much rather have Kyle Lowry. DWill is a shell of his former self.

vCash
    If need be im sure troy daniels xould play small ball sf. I think he will play about 8-10 mpg this year

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast