Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    vCash

Omer Asik reportedly traded to Pelicans for New Orleans' 2015 1st rounder

Adrian Wojnarowski @WojYahooNBA about 11 minutes ago
    Yahoo Sources: In a first step toward creating max contract space, Houston trades center Omer Asik to New Orleans. yhoo.it/TkKHlZ
    Sam Amick @sam_amick about 34 minutes ago
    Rockets will get New Orleans' first rounder for next season in exchange for Omer Asik, I'm told.
    Via Twitter, Via Hoopshype

And the first domino falls gentlemen. Amick is reporting that New Orleans also gets $1.5 million in return. I'm curious to see if this pick Houston is getting is conditional, because if it's not, that's likely a lottery pick in next year's draft and could be a very valuable trade piece.

Jeremy Lin may be the next guy to go, but Amick is reporting that Morey doesn't want to do that until he gets a little more confidence about whether or not Lebron or Melo are coming to Houston. My guess is because Houston would also have to throw in a trade chip or two to get a team to take on Lin's contract.

vCash
    Wow... So apparently this pick is protected but only between 4 and 19.

Yes. Can now confirm protection. Will be between 4 and 20. RT @jelvig1: @Jonathan_Feigen Hearing the pick is slotted for #4-19. Confirm?
    Via Feigen's Twitter

This is going to be a hell of an asset moving forward. I'm curious to see if they end up using this pick to get rid of Lin's contract or if they'll try do that with tomorrow's first round pick.

vCash
    Wow...

At this rate 13 + 12 + 25 - 7 - 3 + 6 = Ring
    Last edited by Snakeyestx; 06-26-2014 at 12:26 AM.

vCash
    But I kept hearing that that poison pill contract was unmovable? I figured Houston would send some cash but jeez, but $1.5 million plus the $10 million paid to him over 2 years and the Pelicans are on the hook for $13.5 for one year? Jesus, that's a rapin'. And a great first? Wow. Morey.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by mightybosstone View Post
    Wow... So apparently this pick is protected but only between 4 and 19.

Via Feigen's Twitter

This is going to be a hell of an asset moving forward. I'm curious to see if they end up using this pick to get rid of Lin's contract or if they'll try do that with tomorrow's first round pick.
    Man, that's a great pick. New Orleans could be really good this season, but they could also be bad again, especially in this division. I'd say today's pick should be enough to move Lin, but who knows. And after trading Asik, I doubt Morey will wait long before trading Lin too, if he can get a deal.

And on top of that, Anthony's camp confirmed visits to Houston, Dallas and Chicago.

In Morey we trust.

Quote Originally Posted by Saddletramp View Post
    But I kept hearing that that poison pill contract was unmovable? I figured Houston would send some cash but jeez, but $1.5 million plus the $10 million paid to him over 2 years and the Pelicans are on the hook for $13.5 for one year? Jesus, that's a rapin'. And a great first? Wow. Morey.
    That contract is completely overblown. The thing that matters is the cap figure. And $8.3 million for an starting center like Asik to play along with Davis, is a pretty good value. We could probably get a better deal if we were willing to take a contract back.
    Rockets | Texans | Astros

vCash
    Huge news!!! I'm hoping for Lebron/Harden/Howard.. I'll take Harden over Anthony.

vCash
    I don't understand NBA financials. What would you all want in return for Lin and a first round pick? As a backup (playing 29 minutes?), Lin isn't that bad at $8 million is he? In Chinese advertising alone I'm sure he's worth $15 million in salary.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by JetRocketAngel View Post
    I don't understand NBA financials. What would you all want in return for Lin and a first round pick? As a backup (playing 29 minutes?), Lin isn't that bad at $8 million is he? In Chinese advertising alone I'm sure he's worth $15 million in salary.
    $0 million back. Cap relief. That's it! We need to get rid of his contract in order to ble able to offer a max deal for either LeBron or Anthony. Or even a smaller yet big contract to Bosh or Lowry.

But as a backup, with Beverley rising, I'd say $8 million is a bit much for him.

vCash
    I just don't see Anthony or LeBron going to Houston. LeBron will stay in Miami, go back to Cleveland, or go to a big market team like NY or LA. Why would he come to Houston? There's nothing in it for him. He doesn't need Howard or Harden. Sorry to say it but it's true.

Anthony is more possible, but I don't see the chemistry and he's going to want max money, right? How is that good for chasing a championship? Are we going to ask Anthony to take a cut when H and H are at max deals? Not gonna happen.

I'm not adverse to trading Lin, even though I'm a fan of his. He'll do fine wherever he goes, maybe better. I just wouldn't want to trade him unless I knew I was getting something great. (Or ok, Lowry. Love his game too)

vCash
    I just don't see Anthony or LeBron going to Houston. LeBron will stay in Miami, go back to Cleveland, or go to a big market team like NY or LA. Why would he come to Houston? There's nothing in it for him. He doesn't need Howard or Harden. Sorry to say it but it's true.

Anthony is more possible, but I don't see the chemistry and he's going to want max money, right? How is that good for chasing a championship? Are we going to ask Anthony to take a cut when H and H are at max deals? Not gonna happen.

I'm not adverse to trading Lin, even though I'm a fan of his. He'll do fine wherever he goes, maybe better. I just wouldn't want to trade him unless I knew I was getting something great. (Or ok, Lowry. Love his game too)

Lebron might want to come to Houston to win more championships. Dwight, Harden, Lebron is very formidable

vCash
    Same could be said for Howard. What is his address now? And Cleveland is a even smaller market than Houston for that matter. And saying that he doesn't need anyone makes even less sense. He only got a title teaming up with other two stars. He failed to win last season, which could mean he needs an even better team. Any player, even the best, need other players in any team sport.

That makes even less sense, because teams need good players to win. Good players get a lot of money.

That ship has sailed with Asik traded. We'll go all out chasing James or Anthony. And in order to do that, Lin needs to go, and we might not get to choose when.

And Lin, I know you're a fan, for some reason, and I do try to defend him when other posters hate on him, but he's not really worth his contract, and considering he's just a backup, we can get similar production for less money in FA.

vCash
    $8 million isn't that terrible, but you throw in the extra $7 million someone has to pay on top of that and it's a bad one-year deal. But if you offer a bad team with plenty of cap space Lin and a decent 1st rounder for a future 2nd rounder, they'll take that deal in a heartbeat just for the pick upgrade.

He doesn't need Harden or Howard specifically, but he needs other talented players to win titles. Lebron is a student of the game and a guy who very much understands the concept of legacy. He wants more rings, and he knows that this Miami team as its currently constructed has a very limited window to get hims those rings. Hell, that window might have already closed.

Teams with young talent, cap space and competent front offices are going to be appealing to him. Throw in the fact that Houston isn't exactly a small market, and I think they've got as good of a chance as anyone other than Miami or Cleveland. I still think it's an outside shot, but I guarantee Houston is in the top 5 discussion for Lebron right now.

Melo may not have to take a pay cut, dude. That's why Houston is moving Asik and Lin. So they can offer a max talent max dollars. Assuming Houston picks up Beverley's option and cuts Lin, they're sitting at $41.8 million. If they opt to pick up Parsons' option, they'll be at $42.7 million. The salary cap is expected to increase to $63.2 million this offseason and a max contract for Melo would start at around $22 million, I believe. So to make it work, they would just have to flip Motiejunas' contract and/or Jones. It gets a little more complicated if they opt not to pick up Parsons option and make him a RFA, but that remains to be seen.

But even if Melo had to take maybe $1-2 million less to play for Houston, he would still make about as much money as Howard and he'd be taking the slightest of pay cuts to play for the best team (by far) he's ever played for.

If Houston can't get Lebon, Melo, Love, Bosh, Lowry or maybe one or two other guys, than I would just assume keep Lin. Because they'll have to give up an asset or two to get rid of him and if they aren't adding a superstar in the process, you might as well not give up an asset just to get ride of an expiring contract.

But my guess is that Morey will end up with SOMETHING to show for his work this offseason. I'm just not sure exactly what that's going to be at this point.

vCash
    Assuming we miss on Melo and Lebron, but we have already sent Lin packing. Would we have the kind of money to sign Lowry and Channing Frye (and then resign Parsons)? I am not a huge fan of Frye's overall game, but if we run the same offense as last season you have to consider him a decent pickup and a huge over upgrade on Dmo, and for our system (3 ball) maybe even better than TJones at this stage in their careers.

Lowry
    Harden
    Parsons
    TJones
    Howard

Beverly and Frye as main bench guys would form a solid 7 man rotation. We would need to find a decent backup center for 10-15min a night as well, cause Frye aint gunna be able to handle it
    C: Asik PF: PatPat SF: Parsons SG: Harden PG: Lin

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Thegame187 View Post
    Assuming we miss on Melo and Lebron, but we have already sent Lin packing. Would we have the kind of money to sign Lowry and Channing Frye (and then resign Parsons)? I am not a huge fan of Frye's overall game, but if we run the same offense as last season you have to consider him a decent pickup and a huge over upgrade on Dmo, and for our system (3 ball) maybe even better than TJones at this stage in their careers.

Lowry
    Harden
    Parsons
    TJones
    Howard

Beverly and Frye as main bench guys would form a solid 7 man rotation. We would need to find a decent backup center for 10-15min a night as well, cause Frye aint gunna be able to handle it
    This was my thinking. Frye would be a solid cheap pick-up. Mills, diaw, lowery, deng and Hawes are all other players I would like the rockets to look at if they miss out on melo and Lebron.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by mightybosstone View Post
    $8 million isn't that terrible, but you throw in the extra $7 million someone has to pay on top of that and it's a bad one-year deal. But if you offer a bad team with plenty of cap space Lin and a decent 1st rounder for a future 2nd rounder, they'll take that deal in a heartbeat just for the pick upgrade.
    Really, moving from mid second round to back of the first round is worth $8M in cap and $15M (with the added ticket/ad sales) cash? I'm asking. Neither pick seems like it's guaranteed to get that much talent, is it? It's possible starter territory.

He doesn't need Harden or Howard specifically, but he needs other talented players to win titles. Lebron is a student of the game and a guy who very much understands the concept of legacy. He wants more rings, and he knows that this Miami team as its currently constructed has a very limited window to get hims those rings. Hell, that window might have already closed.

Teams with young talent, cap space and competent front offices are going to be appealing to him.
    Sure Houston is in the conversation, I'm just saying that I don't think it'll happen. Like you say in another thread. It's a long shot. I'd not put any money on it. (well, if you gave me 10:1, maybe).

I agree that the only thing LeBron is playing for is legacy, and THAT's why he won't come to Houston. It'll look like he's just running to the most talented team, and that he wins by "cheating". (I do NOT consider it cheating at all, but all the haters and casual fans do consider it cheating. They think that players should just go where they're told and play for who drafts them and they should never leave and be loyal, etc., etc.)

LeBron's Legacy would best be served by staying in Miami and winning, going back to Cleveland and winning a championship, or going to a moderately talented team on the coasts with big media marketing and creating a championship out of moderate talent. IMHO, of course. Who knows what he thinks is best for his story.

All I know is going to Houston to join two other top 10 players in the league does not smell, look, or feel good. Feels mercenary. Even in Miami, he had personal friendships with Wade and Bosh, didn't he?

Melo may not have to take a pay cut, dude. That's why Houston is moving Asik and Lin. So they can offer a max talent max dollars. Assuming Houston picks up Beverley's option and cuts Lin, they're sitting at $41.8 million. If they opt to pick up Parsons' option, they'll be at $42.7 million. The salary cap is expected to increase to $63.2 million this offseason and a max contract for Melo would start at around $22 million, I believe. So to make it work, they would just have to flip Motiejunas' contract and/or Jones. It gets a little more complicated if they opt not to pick up Parsons option and make him a RFA, but that remains to be seen.

But even if Melo had to take maybe $1-2 million less to play for Houston, he would still make about as much money as Howard and he'd be taking the slightest of pay cuts to play for the best team (by far) he's ever played for.
    I saw your line up with Melo, and I don't think that big three really wins a championship. No depth, and Melo and Harden tend towards iso-ball in crunch time. Oh, and neither Melo nor Harden like to play defense.

I don't understand the MLE, what is that anyway (other than about $5M)? Seems that if the cap is $63M and you need about 8-9 good players, that's an average of $7M/player (weighted towards your best players). If you go with three guys at around $20M, that leaves just $3M for 6 players?? That's what I don't get about picking up Melo or LeBron. Is the MLE added on top of the $63M cap?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast