Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

vCash

What Suh's new deal may look like...

http://www.prideofdetroit.com/2014/6...-detroit-lions

If the Detroit Lions are able to sign defensive tackle Ndamukong Suh to a long-term deal, how much will it be worth? Here's a look at one site's prediction.

Coming into the offseason, one of the Detroit Lions' top priorities was to sign defensive tackle Ndamukong Suh to a long-term deal. It's unclear at this point just how far along negotiations are between the Lions and Suh's agents, though. The thinking is that talks have been taking place behind the scenes for months now, but virtually no news about them has leaked out. That could be a sign that the talks are moving smoothly, but I suppose it could also be a sign that no real progress has been made.

In any case, if the Lions are able to eventually get a long-term contract worked out with Suh, what kind of numbers should we expect from his new deal? Spotrac recently put together a prediction for Suh's new deal by looking at the contracts of Geno Atkins, Haloti Ngata, Vince Wilfork and Kyle Williams. Spotrac also compared those defensive tackles' stats to Suh's numbers in order to come up with a guess for his new deal.

Ultimately, Spotrac predicted that Suh will receive a five-year deal worth a total of $52.4 million. That prediction includes $28 million in guaranteed money and an average of $10.5 million per year. By comparison, Suh's rookie contract will end up being worth around $64 million over five years, which is an average of $12.8 million per season (thanks, old CBA!).

In all honesty, I would be surprised if Suh's new deal averages "only" $10.5 million a year. That's obviously still a lot of money, especially for a defensive tackle, but given how much leverage he has, is Suh really going to end up with a lesser deal than he got as a rookie? I just don't see it, but given the circumstances, I think the Lions would gladly take a five-year deal worth $52.4 million.
    Found this interesting.... What do you guys think?

My AAL 2015 ProBowler: DeAndre Levy #54 58 tackles / .5 sacks / 1 safety / 1 amazing int
    click here to join the Lions Forum
    Lions Forum: 5 Time OTT Winner#1,#6,#10,#12 & #14
    2014 PSD MOD SURVIVAL GAME WINNER!!!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by GuySir View Post
    Lffs is the master at going from goofball to boss

vCash
    Id be happy at 10.5 a year... Ive always had the # 12 per year in my mind for some reason..

29 Rec - 461 Yards -3 TD

vCash
    i think it will be worth more than his rookie deal.
    #66 LaAdrian Waddle

vCash
    I think he will make more than I do.

STAFFORD THE LEADER

Sliding a yard short on 4th down because he's too afraid to take a hit.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ****ed in DET View Post
    i think it will be worth more than his rookie deal.
    Me too. That will probably be a key argument by his agent. He's performed at the top of his position...now way he takes a pay cut simply because the CBA changed. If we don't give him more, some other team will.

Rushing: 122 Carries, 442 Yards, 3 TD
    Receiving: 20 Catch, 204 Yards, 0 TD
    Fumbles: 2....

Number of weeks without a fumble: 0!

2013 Lions forum rookie poster of the year!

vCash
    Yeah $10 million would be a decent deal for us. I figured he get near or surpass Geno Atkins money so this falls near in line with that deal.

Catches: 14 Yards: 125 TDs: 1

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by LionsFan..LOL View Post
    Yeah $10 million would be a decent deal for us. I figured he get near or surpass Geno Atkins money so this falls near in line with that deal.
    but what did Geno make on his rookie deal?

vCash
    That's an encouraging projection. Crazy to think he might actually get less than his rookie contract

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by lizardking13 View Post
    but what did Geno make on his rookie deal?
    Geno was a 4th round pick iirc so I highly doubt it was much at all.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by LionsFan..LOL View Post
    Geno was a 4th round pick iirc so I highly doubt it was much at all.
    Exactly. I would love it if he signed for 10 million, but I just can't fathom it happening because the rookie deal. It's probably not the "correct" way to look at it, but that's exactly how any smart agent would look at it.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by GuySir View Post
    That's an encouraging projection. Crazy to think he might actually get less than his rookie contract
    I could live with that.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by lizardking13 View Post
    Exactly. I would love it if he signed for 10 million, but I just can't fathom it happening because the rookie deal. It's probably not the "correct" way to look at it, but that's exactly how any smart agent would look at it.
    Fair point.

It's funny to think Suh's rookie contract will end up being worth "more" than Geno's current contract is laid out (not sure about bonuses and what not).