Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 15 12311 ... LastLast
    vCash

The Daniel Murphy Conundrum

Andy Martino
    A few days ago, we talked about the possibility of the Mets trading Daniel Murphy, who has already grabbed the attention of teams looking for infield help, including the San Francisco Giants and Toronto Blue Jays.

But he is also a Met who can hit at Citi Field, a commodity that has proven elusive. So let’s say they don’t move him -- would the team sign Murphy to a multi-year extension? And would he be amenable to forgoing free agency? The answer: While this is not a front-burner issue, both sides are willing to at least consider it.

A Mets insider called a deal that would buy out Murphy’s final arbitration season and a few free agent years “possible,” although more likely to happen this winter, rather than in-season. The second baseman said had this to say, when approached on Tuesday about the subject:

“Well, my agents probably wouldn’t be too happy to say that, but they know how I tick, and (Murphy and agents Seth and Sam Levinson) have discussed it.”

Murphy is arbitration-eligible for one more season, and would be a free agent after 2015. Many players look forward to that experience, and Murphy would, too. But he also can see the appeal of staying with the only organization he has known.

“I like New York,” Murphy said. “The Mets have been good to me. I missed an entire season (with a knee injury in 2010), and they found a way to give me at-bats in 2011. And then I missed another two months, and since then, they have given me -- I’m flirting with like 1,500 plate appearances. So they’ve been good to me here. I’ve enjoyed my time here. I’ve enjoyed the guys I’ve played with. My wife enjoys it here.”

For the record, the sides have not spoken about an extension. The Mets tried to trade Murphy last winter, and they could do so again next month-- although the bet here is that they will keep him at least until the end of the season.

If Murphy is still a Met in August, the team has the following options: Retain him on a one-year deal at a raise from the $5.7 million he is making in 2014, then let him leave as a free agent; trade him this winter; trade him at next summer’s deadline; or offer a multi-year extension.

For Murphy, the appeal of an extension would not be the money so much as the security of knowing that a team wants him to play for several years.

“The money is nice,” he said. “I’m not going to give the money back. There is a great deal of good that my wife and I could do with that. But what am I going to so with whatever a four-year deal looks like, that I can’t do with the $5.7 million I’m making this year?

“I couldn’t spend that in four lifetimes. I’ll let my son try to do it, but I couldn’t do it. So it’s just -- if somebody comes up to you and says, hey we think you’re good enough to be in this league for the next four years -- I have never approached it this way. And I don’t think that would change the way I work, it’s just, hey, that’s a nice feeling. And it’s four years worth of at-bats. They’re not just passing those things out in this league."

vCash
    To trade or not to trade that is the question.

If your going to keep him, the way he has produced that lat couple of years expect him to demand at least 4 years at 12-15 million a year.

vCash

I'd keep, he's a valuable commodity, one of the few people who consistently hits, and is much more valuable off the field than anybody else.

vCash
    I like Murphy's attitude about this. He displays common sense (which apparently dissappears when it comes time to run the bases).

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sick Of It All View Post
    To trade or not to trade that is the question.

If your going to keep him, the way he has produced that lat couple of years expect him to demand at least 4 years at 12-15 million a year.
    I hope he is worth that much, because if they don't trade him just offer a QO.

“Ninety percent I’ll spend on good times, women, and Irish whiskey. The other ten percent I’ll probably waste.”
    - Tug McGraw, on his plans for his $75,000 salary

vCash
    Getting a draft pick for him would be the bare minimum, I don't want that. Trade or resign him.

vCash
    It really depends on the return, but I'd lean toward saying lets keep him because it sounds like we can get him at a hometown discount. At some point, the rebuild needs to end the the winning needs to begin. Murphy can certainly be a part of that transition.

So unless we are blown away with an offer we can't refuse, I'd look to extend him. He has become a good baserunner with improved and adequate defense at 2b. His bat translates nicely there especially with an improved walk rate this season. He'll always have excellent contact skills to fall back on. There is no reason to believe in a sudden decline in the near future. He isn't that over-valued player anymore. He has become a very good 2nd basemen... and a consistent one at that.

Bring in a real SS and sign a corner OFer with power who can hit in the middle of the lineup... and now you have a team that can compete with Harvey and Syndergaard entering the mix along with Niese and Wheeler. Colon is obviously a guy I would look to trade at the deadline.
    DUDA

Quote Originally Posted by VendettaRed07 View Post
    noah is gonna be a beast man.

with him and harvey, its like were gonna have Goku and Vegetta in the same rotation

vCash
    I don't want to resign him, and I doubt the Mets will get a top tier prospect in a trade for him, I could be wrong.
    A draft pick in the late 30's, early 40's would be awesome.

“Ninety percent I’ll spend on good times, women, and Irish whiskey. The other ten percent I’ll probably waste.”

vCash
    Ideally we offer him a deal this winter for 3 years that buys out his final arbitration year. I wouldn't guarantee the 4th year.

I'd start at 3/$30 with salaries going $8M in 2015, $10M in 2016, and $12M in 2017. I'd work up to 36M for Murphy. If he wants more, I'd discuss a team option with a guaranteed buyout. If he doesn't want that, let him walk. Dilson should be ready by 2016/2017.

vCash
    IMO, you have create a bidding war and come away with the absolute best prospect possible b/c losing Murph opens yet another hole (unless Flores is destined for 2nd). Anything less takes too long to develop so they might as well trade Wright while they're at it

"We have been watching and waiting, but I wouldn't say we intend to continue to do that. I think you watch and wait to try and assess a situation and act accordingly. It might involve more waiting. It might involve moving in one direction or another. We've done plenty of watching and waiting. If we can move in a particular direction, we might do that."

Sandy Alderson: 2011.

vCash
    Looking over the Blue Jays farm system, it still bugs me that the Mets picked Mazzoni over Daniel Norris in order to save a million dollars or so.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by NYSPORTS98 View Post
    IMO, you have create a bidding war and come away with the absolute best prospect possible b/c losing Murph opens yet another hole (unless Flores is destined for 2nd). Anything less takes too long to develop so they might as well trade Wright while they're at it
    There are other prospects besides Flores.

vCash
    Murphy has probably become underrated amongst Mets fans now. His defense, base running, and plate selection have all seen signficant improvement. He is a top ten 2b, a late bloomer, and a guy we should try to extend IMO. I've seen enough improvement from him in his areas of weakness to believe he would be a good investment for us.
    DUDA

Quote Originally Posted by VendettaRed07 View Post
    noah is gonna be a beast man.

with him and harvey, its like were gonna have Goku and Vegetta in the same rotation

vCash

It would be a no brainer resign if he could field his position

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Claymation View Post
    I don't want to resign him, and I doubt the Mets will get a top tier prospect in a trade for him, I could be wrong.
    A draft pick in the late 30's, early 40's would be awesome.
    He's not going to be worth a qualifying offer though, either.

I'd actually hold out for a top prospect of some sort. Otherwise, I have no problem playing Murphy over the next year and a half, and seeing how things stand then. No fear at all of losing him for nothing either, unless there was an opportunity to actually get something good.

Similarly average players have gotten good returns in the past at the deadline, from a contending team with a need (think Carlos Santana for Casey Blake). So yeah, I'm holding out for a top 100 prospect or close to that.

I have no objection to extending him either, but he's certainly not worth more than $10M/yr. I'd offer something like 4/38 max, including the arbitration year. And maybe with only 3/30 guaranteed.

Page 1 of 15 12311 ... LastLast