Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    vCash

Keith wins Norris Trophy for second time

By Shawn Roarke - Director, Editorial

LAS VEGAS -- Chicago Blackhawks defenseman Duncan Keith won the 2014 Norris Trophy in somewhat of a surprising landslide.

"Obviously, it is a pretty surreal feeling," Keith said less than an hour after winning the award for the second time in his career. "Like I said in the speech, there are so many good defensemen in the League and I'm proud to represent all the defensemen."

For some, Keith's success is a product of his team, loaded with game-breakers at every position. For others, this Norris Trophy is a reflection of a skill set that places him among the elite at his position.

In reality, it is a combination of both.

Detroit Red Wings coach Mike Babcock has coached against Keith enough times to know he is nearly impossible to game plan against. Babcock has also coached him with Team Canada at the Winter Olympics and understands Keith's unique gifts can be a difference-making option.

2013-14 Norris Trophy Voting -- Top 10
    Player Pts. (1st-2nd-3rd-4th-5th)
    Keith, CHI 1.033 (68-35-17-7-2)
    Chara, BOS 667 (21-39-22-19-17)
    Weber, NSH 638 (26-23-29-19-15)
    Suter, MIN 351 (9-12-20-22-11)
    Pietrangelo, STL 304 (3-13-18-25-18)
    Doughty, LA 284 (8-6-17-18-23)
    Karlsson, OTT 70 (0-5-3-4-8)
    McDonagh, NYR 53 (0-1-4-5-11)
    Hedman, TBL 42 (1-1-0-5-10)
    Giordano, CGY 36 (1-0-2-3-7)

"Unbelievable skater, good hockey sense, moves the puck," Babcock said Tuesday afternoon before the 2014 NHL Awards show began at Encore Theater at Wynn Hotel. "When you look at [the Blackhawks] and you look at franchise players they have a few of them. There's very few teams, maybe [Los Angeles] with [Anze] Kopitar, [Drew] Doughty and [Jonathan] Quick, that have franchise players in all three positions. Keith is in a good situation for him. They play an up-tempo game. He's got good people around him, but he's an elite, elite player."

Los Angeles forward Dustin Brown has butted heads against Keith countless times, both in the NHL and on the international stage. They have played against each other in back-to-back Western Conference Finals.

"For me, it's just his skating ability," Brown said after winning the Mark Messier NHL Leadership Award presented by Bridgestone at the Awards. "He's a guy that likes to get in on the forecheck and get physical and for guys like that it is very hard to get hits on them. He has the ability to get himself out of trouble. He's a real big part of that team from the back end. He's one of those guys that plays against top guys but also has the offensive side of the game. He's the best offensive guy he has on the back end and he really helps those forwards with their transition game because of his heads-up play and he moves the puck really quick."
    http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=723699

vCash
    Well deserved. Always interesting to see the actual voting. How the hell did Victor Hedman and Mark Giordono get 1st place votes?

vCash
    My voting would have been:

Keith
    Weber
    Doughty
    McD
    Chara
    Pietrangelo
    Suter

vCash
    Chara should have won it IMO. The fact that Keith ran away with this shows that voters only look at points. I expected it to be closer.

And to SLY: You have McD 4th? Good thing you didn't have a vote.

Giordano also should have finished top 5 in the voting process. Really unfortunate what this award has come down to.
    Feeling left out in society? Are you that kid? The Bruins forum can help you.

PSD's Zdeno Chara

PSD Bruins Hall of Fame Class of 2010

Yeti FTW

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Shaiza View Post
    Chara should have won it IMO. The fact that Keith ran away with this shows that voters only look at points. I expected it to be closer.

Giordano also should have finished top 5 in the voting process. Really unfortunate what this award has come down to.
    or create a Bobby Orr Trophy for best offensive defenseman.
    It's interesting that Mike Green didn't win 08-09, 09-10. In the last three seasons, they've favored an offensive defenseman.
    I thought Keith was fine but Seabrook deserves some credit also. I didn't watch but I heard he didn't even thank Seabrook.
    The problem with Keith's trophy Is that most of his points were assisting a high powered offense.
    Last edited by kevin13697; 06-25-2014 at 12:39 PM.

vCash
    This is one of those rare times I completely agree with Kevin. Not saying Keith isn't a great defenseman, because he is, but I just don't see him putting up those kind of numbers on a team with not as high powered of an offense as Chicago or without Seabrook constantly being back to let him go up so much. He had 35 secondary assists last year.
    Quote Originally Posted by Trueblue2 View Post
    And there's no shame in banging fat chicks. They're normally down to do anything and theyll build your confidence. Even Mike trout had to tear up the minors before he got called up to the show.

EDIT: do not use tinder to tear up minors, you will go to jail.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Shaiza View Post

Considering the people that actually did vote gave McD one 2nd place vote and four 3rd place votes and five 4th place votes and eleven 5th place votes was the personal swipe really needed? Odds are nobody that voted saw McD play as much as I did and that I did not see many of the other players play as much as their hometown fans/writers.

vCash
    When was the last time a defenseman won the Norris scoring less then 10 goals?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by kevin13697 View Post
    When was the last time a defenseman won the Norris scoring less then 10 goals?
    Without looking for a full season I might guess Rod Langway but that would just be a guess.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by SLY WILLIAMS View Post
    Without looking for a full season I might guess Rod Langway but that would just be a guess.
    you got it, 83-84

vCash
    you got it, 83-84
    Wow that was just a guess. I was thinking that was the most obvious choice but I did not know if Stevens or Chellios might have done it at some time.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by SLY WILLIAMS View Post
    Wow that was just a guess. I was thinking that was the most obvious choice but I did not know if Stevens or Chellios might have done it at some time.
    Stevens never won, believe it or not. Chelios won 94-95 with 14 goals

vCash
    If Giordano played a full season, he might have won. what were the odds of that happening before the season started?

vCash
    you got it, 83-84
    Lidstrom had 9 in 2001-02

http://www.hockey-reference.com/awards/norris.html

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by b1e9a8r5s View Post
    less then 9 then lol

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast