Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    vCash

Who's best in the slot?

Found this on BR...
    Thought it was a good discussion...

http://detroitjockcity.com/2014/06/2...slot-receiver/

Detroit Lions: Who Is The Best Fit At Slot Receiver?
    by Nate Williams 1d ago TWEET (26) LIKE (24) 2
    NEXT1 of 5PREV POST
    Use your ← → (arrows) to browse

Credit: Andrew Weber-USA TODAY Sports
    The Detroit Lions enter the 2014 NFL season both excited and optimistic about the potiential of the young offense. With a new coaching staff in place in Detroit, the players have spent a majority of the off-season learning the system that former New Orleans Saints assistant, Joe Lombardi has put into place.

Lombardi himself has said that we can expect a lot of the same things that worked in New Orleans to carry over to the Lions offense this year.

Using the blueprint of New Orleans can only be good news for Detroit, as the Saints have put up ridiculous yardage in recent years while making the postseason four of the past five seasons. Quarterback Drew Brees flourished in that system, and under the tutelage of Lombardi, the Lions hope the same will be true of Matthew Stafford.

During Lombardi’s introductory press conference he said that the success of the Lions offense could depend more on the personnel on the field than the scheme they are playing in.

“IT’S ABOUT PERSONNEL,” LOMBARDI SAID. “YOU KNOW, SCHEME’S IMPORTANT, WHAT YOU DO IS IMPORTANT, BUT HOW YOU DO IT AND WHO YOU ARE DOING IT WITH IS MOST IMPORTANT.”
    One thing the Lions have is talented personnel.

Stafford will of course have Calvin Johnson and the newly added Golden Tate to throw to on the outside as well as both Reggie Bush and Joique Bell out of the backfield. All of those positions are fairly established barring major injury.

One position however that is yet to be decided is who will be play in the slot.

The Lions have a lot of viable options to play the No. 3 receiver position — lets take a look at who is the best option for the slot.

Ryan Broyles

5′ 10″, 188 lbs
    Drafted 2012: 2nd Rnd, 54th by DET
    Experience – 3 years
    College – Oklahoma
    The Detroit Lions’ second-round pick in 2012 has yet to play a single down in this league at 100 percent health.

He entered the league rehabbing a torn ACL in his left knee suffered against Texas A&M late in his senior season at Oklahoma.

The 10th game into his rookie season Broyles tore the ACL in his right knee vs. Indy
    It went from bad to worse for the NCAA’s all-time reception leader this past season, when he ruptured the Achilles tendon in his left leg during the second month of the regular season in a win over Dallas. Broyles was fielding a punt and the Achilles ruptured on him as he tried to get away from the ball deep in Lions territory.

However, Broyles is going to get every opportunity in training camp to compete for that third, fourth or fifth roster spot at receiver this season. Before he can focus on the competition aspect of his job though, he and the rest of the receivers have to learn a much more complicated offense than the one the Lions ran previously.

Broyles said the route tree every receiver is expected to know is much greater under Lombardi, and though there’s about the same number of plays and same number of formations in the offense, the number of routes available in every formation is much greater.

Broyles is coming off his third major leg injury in as many years, he says he’s feeling great and is participating in OTAs, but plans to be “smart” with his recovery.

All he’s asking for is an opportunity to compete come training camp and the new coaches are going to give the former second-round pick that chance.
    TJ Jones

6’0″, 188 lbs
    Drafted 2014: 6th Rnd 189th by DET
    Experience – Rookie
    College – Notre Dame
    The fact that Jones was taken in the sixth round, 189th overall and the 25th receiver to go off the board indicates that he is by no means a lock to make the 53-player active roster, or to have a major role if he sticks.

By comparison, the Lions drafted wide receiver Corey Fuller of Virginia Tech in the sixth round and 171st overall last year, and Fuller was welded to the practice squad all year.

Jones was productive in four seasons at Notre Dame. He was a full-time starter the last three seasons and led the Irish in 2013 with 70 catches for 1,108 yards, 9 TDs and a 15.8-yard average per catch. For his career, he had 181 catches and 19 TDs.

For Jones, not only has learning the Lions complicated playbook been daunting, but so has lining up along side Megatron and fellow Notre Dame alumni — Golden Tate.

“I got in a couple plays,” Jones said. “I really didn’t know what I was doing. That stopped that real quick.

“At first it was a little overwhelming. It was kind of a dream come true to have such greats surrounding you. It’s something you have to get used to because if you want to play next year — if I want to get on the field — I’m going to be surrounded by them.”
    Jeremy Ross

6′ 0″, 215 lbs
    Experience – 2 years
    College – California
    Jeremy Ross became one of the best return men in the NFL for the Detroit Lions the second half of the season last year, averaging 29.3 yards per kickoff return and 15.5 yards per punt return, including a touchdown doing both.

While that is all great, the problem is that Ross would like to be more than just a return man.

He wants much more.

Ross has just eight career touches on offense (six receptions and two rushes), but seven of those came last season after the Lions promoted him from the practice squad.

So far this offseason, Ross has been getting an increased number of reps in the slot, even some with the first-team offense. Offensive coordinator, Joe Lombardi says he has been impressed with what he’s seen so far.

“There is a role for him, there’s no question about that because he’s catching the ball well,” head coach Jim Caldwell said of Ross. “You saw him there a couple of times (Tuesday). He can run with it, obviously, when he gets it in his hands. He makes good decisions, so it’s a good, competitive situation.”

Ross, like a number of Lions players on both sides of the football, is benefiting from a new coaching staff. Everyone was afforded a fresh start, and Ross is taking advantage.
    Eric Ebron

6’4″, 245 lbs
    Drafted 2014: 1st Rnd, 10th by DET
    Experience – Rookie
    College – North Carolina
    Ebron has been the early favorite to see a majority of the playing time in the slot since he was drafted by Detroit tenth overall in May’s NFL Draft.

Coach Lombardi has said publicly that Ebron could see a role similar to that of Jimmy Graham in New Orleans which would entail him seeing a considerable amount of playing time at WR.

“They’re not exactly the same players, but they’re both very athletic guys,” Lombardi said. “Jimmy has a little more length. Eric might have a little more quickness, I would say. There will be some things we did with Jimmy in New Orleans that we’ll do with Eric, and maybe some things we can do with Eric that we didn’t do with Jimmy.”

Ebron, like Graham, is known firstly for his prowess as a pass-catcher. He hauled in 40 catches for 625 yards as a sophomore in 2012, both North Carolina records for a tight end.

Then he smashed those marks last year, catching 62 passes for 973 yards. That was second among all tight ends nationally.

Detroit returns both of its top tight ends from last season, Brandon Pettigrew and Joseph Fauria, but views Ebron as more of a slot/tight end hybrid.

“He’s an impact player,” general manager Martin Mayhew said. “He’s a difference-maker, and I think you’ll see that when he starts playing. I mean, this guy is a playmaker. He’s a matchup nightmare as a tight end. He gives us something down the field.”
    Last edited by Lionsfanfromsac; 06-23-2014 at 09:59 AM.

LFLOL & LFFS after secretly glancing at the ***** forum
    click here to join the Lions Forum
    Lions Forum: 5 Time OTT Winner#1,#6,#10,#12 & #14
    Quote Originally Posted by GuySir View Post
    Lffs is the master at going from goofball to boss

vCash
    I see the Slot being manned by 2/3 different people... Slot by committee i guess

vCash
    1. Megatron
    2. Tate
    3. Broyles
    4. Ross
    5. Durham

vCash
    If Broyles can get healthy and playing again like his rookie year he's the obvious answer, All time reception leader in the NCAA, Short, quick, move the chains guy...

Ross - Man I could see him being deadly in the Slot with the weapons we have on O.. Spread the D out and get Ross the ball in space...

Durham - His big frame playing in the slot would give stafford some easy 7-12 yard throws, I dont think Durham would be a full time slot guy but I could see Durham doing much better in the slot on the shorter routes rather than outside on the 15-20 yard routes, Should be able to use his size to his advantage..

Ebron - Could see tons of time in the Slot, Not 100% sure what we have with him yet.. Have to wait and see

As i said before, I think "slot" will be manned by numerous people, I see them moving everyone all over the place and making the DB's follow them rather than just knowing there going to be the LCB or RCB

CJ,Tate,Ebron,Ross,Durham,Fauria,Grew (prolly even grew), Broyles, Jones, Fuller, Bush could and most likely will all see snaps as the "slot" guy

vCash
    I imagine Ebron will be the primary "slot WR" but I do agree with the slot by committee idea unless Broyles or Ross really show out in the preseason. I've heard Ross has really shinned at OTAs so that's a name to watch as we get to padded practice and preseason. I'm still wary about him given how he looked in GB but given what we have or don't its worth a shot. I still have a sliver of hope that Broyles looks like the guy at Oklahoma and steals that spot and not the bust he's looked so far.

vCash
    Ebron will probably get the most time in the slot. Broyles is the most natural fit as a WR but obviously can't stay healthy so i'm not going to count on him being out there.
    2013 Adopt-A-Lion: Nick Fairley

vCash
    Start with Broyles, after the 1st quarter of game one, when he's out for the year*, go with Ross, slowly work in Ebron and stick with whoever is hot. Might just go with whoever we have the mismatch against

*this is assuming Broyles makes it to the start of the season

vCash
    TJ Jones

2013 & 2014 Lions Forum Draft Prediction Game Champion

vCash
    Broyles.

(if broyles does get hurt ill say broken hand)

Quote Originally Posted by ****ed in DET View Post
    I guess I just finally realized that rocket is the only one around here that knows anything and the rest of you guys are dicks.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by rocket View Post
    Broyles.

I got dibs on another ACL

vCash
    If Broyles is healthy he is one of the best slot receivers in football. However it's a big if. If not I see Ross filling in with jones on the practice squad and coming in if needed. Ebron will play all over but is not well suited for a true slot. He is the unquestioned no. 3 option but not the top slot option

vCash
    Broyles goes down with career ending turf toe.

With that said, I like in the slot:

1. Broyles
    2. Jones
    3. Ross
    4. Ebron

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by rocket View Post
    Broyles.

lmao, Broken Hand is an offensive tackle now... I dont see him in the slot bud

vCash
    who plays in the **** the most?? sharter?

omg **** in banned lol

Fish Pasty

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by chacha77 View Post
    If Broyles is healthy he is one of the best slot receivers in football. However it's a big if. If not I see Ross filling in with jones on the practice squad and coming in if needed. Ebron will play all over but is not well suited for a true slot. He is the unquestioned no. 3 option but not the top slot option

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast