Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast
    vCash

When does the conservative philosophy backfire?

I know the Mets have been risk averse in terms of 5+year deals aside from Wright but I see a lot of picking apart of certain possible acquisitions this coming offseason whether it be trade or FA. I understand the Mets have financial circumstances that preclude them from being in the market for franchise player type acquisitions (there are none this offseason) and that every possible acquisition has to be evaluated on price but when does conservative borderline on being too conservative? The fact is that every player besides Mike Trout comes with some kind of risk.

There's that old saying "That the biggest risk is sometimes the one that is never taken". With the way the pitching has evolved the Mets and continues to, perhaps, the Mets might want to be more proactive and less reactive when it comes to acquiring major league talent and not be as concerned with their farm system.

Basically this is a plea for CarGo or Tomas given this team's needs and to hoard less of your prospects.
    Last edited by metswon69; 06-23-2014 at 02:01 AM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by metswon69 View Post
    Rays, Tampa

Athletics, Oakland
    Donít argue with idiots because they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience. óGreg King

vCash
    I just don't trust the crook owners to do right by this fan base.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by filihok View Post
    Rays, Tampa

Athletics, Oakland
    Remind me how many world series they've won in the last 20 years. If the best we can do is what the A's do, and get to the playoffs and lose in the first round every year, that is not acceptable to me

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by DirtyJerZ View Post
    Remind me how many world series they've won in the last 20 years. If the best we can do is what the A's do, and get to the playoffs and lose in the first round every year, that is not acceptable to me
    That would be a nice problem to have right now.

vCash

Mets are looking to emulate Braves and Cardinals, not Rays or A's. Cardinals let Pujols go. The Braves reached a bit and came up with BJ Upton and Uggla. Both teams have done well enough in player development to support sustaind competitiveness. As Fred Wilpon made clear a few years back, winning will loosen the purse strings. Mets really need the kids to become productive, or use them as trade fodder for proven players.
    Last edited by Dugmet; 06-23-2014 at 06:10 AM. Reason: mojo rising
    John Maeda@johnmaeda

Knowing the overall *shape* of an idea, argument, situation requires as many facts, models, opinions as you can take/make to see a whole.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Dugmet:28662939
    Mets are looking to emulate Braves and Cardinals, not Rays or A's. Cardinals let Pujols go. The Braves reached a bit and came up with BJ Upton and Uggla. Both teams have done well enough in player development to support sustaind competitiveness. As Fred Wilpon made clear a few years back, winning will loosen the purse strings. Mets really need the kids to become productive, or use them as trade fodder for proven players.
    Just curious, when was the last time the Cardinals had six straight seasons of sub .500 ball?

The Braves?
    "Mr. Martin Tanner, Baritone, of Dayton, Ohio made his Town Hall debut last night. He came well prepared, but unfortunately his presentation was not up to contemporary professional standards. His voice lacks the range of tonal color necessary to make it consistently interesting. Full time consideration of another endeavor might be in order."

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by fanofclendennon View Post
    Just curious, when was the last time the Cardinals had six straight seasons of sub .500 ball?

The Braves?
    "...looking to emulate...," as in "have a vision or goal."

Did you really not understand?

Last edited by Dugmet; 06-23-2014 at 07:17 AM. Reason: Klingons
    John Maeda@johnmaeda

Knowing the overall *shape* of an idea, argument, situation requires as many facts, models, opinions as you can take/make to see a whole.

vCash

Mentioning the Wilpons in the same sentence with St. Louis or Atlanta is rather amusing, but then again, I'm sure broken down mules sometimes aspire to run at Churchill Downs

-Stork

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Dugmet:28662976

The Braves?
    "...looking to emulate...," as in "have a vision or goal."

Did you really not understand?

Answer the question.
    "Mr. Martin Tanner, Baritone, of Dayton, Ohio made his Town Hall debut last night. He came well prepared, but unfortunately his presentation was not up to contemporary professional standards. His voice lacks the range of tonal color necessary to make it consistently interesting. Full time consideration of another endeavor might be in order."

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by themadstork:28662984
    Mentioning the Wilpons in the same sentence with St. Louis or Atlanta is rather amusing, but then again, I'm sure broken down mules sometimes aspire to run at Churchill Downs

-Stork
    Kinda like a homeless person talking about how he wants to emulate Bill Gates.

vCash
    I believe it already has backfired.

vCash
    Answer the question.
    late 80's for the Braves.
    late 20's for the Cardinals.

Answer this question, how do both teams continue to have sustaining success?

"You don't know how to drink. Your whole generation, you drink for the wrong reasons. My generation, we drink because it's good, because it feels better than unbuttoning your collar, because we deserve it. We drink because it's what men do."

vCash
    Answer the question.
    My answer clarified how your question was not germane to my statement.
    John Maeda@johnmaeda

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Claymation:28663022
    Answer the question.
    late 80's for the Braves.
    late 20's for the Cardinals.

Answer this question, how do both teams continue to have sustaining success?
    Thanks Clay.

Through intelligent spending, wise acquisitions, and excellent player development.

Crafting a philosophy is the easy part. The execution is the tough part. That we're in the midst of a six year losing sreak tells me this current bunch will never be able to execute anywhere near as well as the Braves or Cardinals.

Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast