Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

vCash

Michael Wacha and Jaime Garcia both to DL with serious injuries

I'll post links as I can

vCash
    Carlos Martinez will remain in #stlcards rotation (in Michael Wacha's spot). Team will need starter for Wednesday. No roster move yet.

Jennifer Langosh

https://mobile.twitter.com/LangoschMLB

Mozeliak announces that Wacha, Garcia going on the DL. Wacha has stress in shoulder; Garcia more shoulder problems. #STLCards

Wacha says stress is in scapula in back of shoulder. Labrum, rotator cuff are fine. Unsure yet how long he will be out. #STLCards

Garcia dealing with same issues that shut him down, led to surgery last yr Mozeliak said. Corresponding roster moves likely Mon. #STLCards

In other Cards pitching news, Joe Kelly will make rehab start in Memphis on Friday night. #STLCards

https://mobile.twitter.com/RobRains/tweets

vCash
    Well. This is about as bad as it can get outside of season ending in Wacha's case

I wouldn't count on Garcia to be back.

Kelly just went from luxury to necessity.

And David Price Might be too if we want to contend

This is bad

vCash

vCash
    One positive if Wacha heals up and it's just the thing similar to the fracture, they've confirmed no structural damage which is great

But the one positive is it will keep his innings down

And Martinez gets a chance and is likely in the rotation for the year, like I said, I wouldn't count on Garcia ever again to pitch

vCash
    And now we trade for David Price lol

Rotation of:
    1. Wainwright
    2. Price
    3. Martinez
    4. Lynn
    5. Miller

Cooney and Gast as depth starters in the minors.

Wacha and Garcia come back when they are ready too...I personally sit Wacha until Sept if I can help it.

But Price is gonna cost us at least Taveras and Adams.

vCash
    Wow, terrible news on both fronts. Losing Garcia, who has looked good and was making me rethink my stance on him, and Wacha is tough. Thankfully we're getting Kelly back soon, and we have martinez and our first rounder from last year who I hear might be coming up.

Regarding the injury to Wacha, it is fairly common in athletes, and I can see how it would be prominent in pitchers. Stress reactions can be PTed in as little as a couple weeks, and he can be symptom free for the rest of his career.

If his mechanics are to blame that can be pinpointed and augmented, with hopefully no change in his performance as a pitcher. It could also be something he tweaked swinging or throwing at some point, and just never did anything to halt the progression of it.

I expect a full recovery for him, provided of course there aren't fractures, which I'm not hearing is the case.
    "If you find yourself in the majority, rethink your position" - Mark Twain

vCash
    It's great news that Wacha is only a bone injury not structural. I would hold him out some extra time to make sure he's healed and also to keep his innings down. That's if it actually heals correctly and in a normal amount of time

Garcia's career is over IMO. I'm sure he will pitch again at some point but it's going to be a Mark Mulder situation. He will try but never actually come back and contribute or stay healthy

vCash
    I firmly believe prospects are the best way to build a team but you have to value top quality MLB talent over prospect talent since one is all based on potential

But trading Taveras and Adams away for Price would be a gigantic mistake. We could be potentially trading away 10 years of combined control + potentially 50 home runs, 2 .280+ hitters and at least 60 doubles, likely more into the 70s in doubles

It's just way too much offense to give away for a year and a half of Price

I would much rather take on a lower level pitcher or miss the playoffs than trade away a bunch of pig pieces for Price

vCash
    I should rephrase that a bit, big necessary pieces for Price

I don't have a problem trading away guys who don't really have a place here and a lot of that might come from the fact I have no belief in Craig anymore after the last 2 years and I believe Adams and Taveras should be starting over Craig right now. Plus Holliday is getting old, his power has declined a lot the last 2 years into this year

Soon we will need 2 corner outfielders which we have in Piscotty and Taveras. Trading for Price now sounds great but in 5 years will be a gigantic mistake IMO

vCash
    I'll be honest, the more I've thought about it the more I wonder if we truly need to make any trade still

Kelly will be back soon, Martinez should have been in the rotation

So Kelly takes over in 2 weeks for Garcia's spot, Martinez takes Wacha's spot. When Wacha is back Kelly goes to the pen and Wacha moves back in

I think it all depends on how Wacha's diagnosis looks

vCash
    and Lyons can get us through the next two weeks

A trade isn't necessary, I agree.

But we have parts we can move to improve the rotation.

vCash
    Yes, we definitely can have pretty much any pitcher we want who's available. So that's a big plus

I think out best bet is to sit firm until we know more on Wacha. If Wacha looks like he is going to be out longer than expected then we look to a trade for a high quality starter

Until then Tyler Lyons-Joe Kelly or another from AAA can handle it.