Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    vCash

July 2 2014: IFA Signing Period

About a week and a half away. Jays are linked to a couple of guys (RHP, Juan Meza and SS, Kevin Vicuna...both from Venezuela).

Jesse Sanchez from mlb.com has his Top 30 ranking out...Meza is ranked 11th.

Check out how many are linked to the Yankees!! They've been rumoured to be going on a rampage with their signings this IFA period. Gotta love their gusto. I wish Rogers would have the nuts to tell AA to go sign everything that moves and to hell with the penalties for a year.

Here's the Top 30 from mlb.com

http://mlb.mlb.com/mlb/prospects/watch/y2014/#list=int

...discuss...
    Last edited by Krylian; 06-22-2014 at 09:01 PM.

vCash
    What are the penalties for going over?

Things will always work out in the end, but if you want them to turn out a certain way... You need to make it happen.

vCash
    Thx for the post Krylian

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ChongInc. View Post
    Enough for Rogers to say no, not enough for the Yankees to care. Same old same old.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ChongInc. View Post
    Can't remember for sure but the max I think is something like a dollar for dollar tax and not being able to sign anyone over $250K the next year...but I could be wrong.

I don't think it's a huge deal. Just blow your international wad every 2 years...I think you still end up ahead. That said, I think the Yankees are just trying to take advantage of this system while they still can...once the draft is in place (and it will be) then they won't be able to flex their wallet anymore.

Sydney, Australia but born in Exhibition Stadium
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Halladay View Post
    Enough for Rogers to say no, not enough for the Yankees to care. Same old same old.
    That was cute.

If AA doesn't get a ACE in the next 4 weeks...it will be true too.
    Hey! It'S JoeyBatS

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Halladay View Post
    Penalties With 2014 International Draft
    • 0-5 percent over pool: 75 percent tax on the pool overage.
    • 5-10 percent over pool: 75 percent tax on the pool overage. Team loses first-round pick in the 2014 international draft.
    • 10-15 percent over pool: 100 percent tax on the pool overage. Team loses first-round and second-round pick in the 2014 international draft.
    • 15 percent or more over pool: 100 percent tax on the pool overage. Team loses first-round picks in both the 2014 and 2015 international drafts.

Penalties With No International Draft
    • 0-5 percent over pool: 75 percent tax on the pool overage.
    • 5-10 percent over pool: 75 percent tax on the pool overage. Team won’t be allowed to sign a player for more than $500,000 during the 2014-15 signing period.
    • 10-15 percent over pool: 100 percent tax on the pool overage. Team won’t be allowed to sign a player for more than $500,000 during the 2014-15 signing period.
    • 15 percent or more over pool: 100 percent tax on the pool overage. Team won’t be allowed to sign a player for more than $250,000 during the 2014-15 signing period.
    Check your facts. The penalties are harsh and is something no team should do. Not being able to sign a player for more than 250,000 or losing picks if there is a draft next year is terrible.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by JaysFan87 View Post
    Check your facts. The penalties are harsh and is something no team should do. Not being able to sign a player for more than 250,000 or losing picks if there is a draft next year is terrible.
    It isn't terrible if you commit and clean out a huge portion of a single class like the Yankees are set to do. Because the Yankees always win, their IFA pool will always be small...that leaves them with room to sign maybe 1 elite guy if that or a few mid-tier signings. This year they are set to sign something like ~4 of the Top 10 and nearly a third of the Top 30. Even if they stuck to their slot this year and next year they would not be able to sign anywhere near that many top-level talents. The $250K penalty isn't even that significant in the IFA market because that still gives you more than enough room to roll the dice. Since you are dealing with 16 year old kids you can never really be sure how they will develop, hence why so many of the current best MLB stars from the DR & Venezuela were small-time signings.

vCash
    ...and you're losing picks in a draft that doesn't even exist yet.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by JaysFan87 View Post
    We really need a sarcasm smiley.

vCash
    Looking back on previous international draft signing periods, it looks like we've made out pretty well.

Id really like to see AA continue the trend of signing infield prospects that look like they can hit. Gus like Lugo, Barreto, and Cenas look like really solid prospects.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by The_Jet11 View Post
    Looking back on previous international draft signing periods, it looks like we've made out pretty well.

Id really like to see AA continue the trend of signing infield prospects that look like they can hit. Gus like Lugo, Barreto, and Cenas look like really solid prospects.
    Looks like they have Cenas catching this year...they signed him as a 3B...then I think he moved to 1B last year and now he's behind the plate.

Richard Urena is one to keep an eye out for...excellent defensive and sounds like a potentially good bat as well...and Yelstin Gudino was our big fish from last summer ($1.29M).

vCash
    Baseball America released their Top 30 List.

Juan Meza still comes in at #10, listed at 6'3 190 which is a lot bigger than ~6'0 170 I've seen on MLB.com and Kiley McDaniel. Pretty big discrepency.

Kevin Vicuna comes in at #30. Listed as only 140 pounds so that kid has a lot of physical maturing to do.

vCash
    If you're not going to go over slot (which I don't expect AA to do), then I like the approach they took last year. Signed one big fish and a ton of minnows that I assume they've flexed their scouting muscles on. Because again, these guys are 16. With proper development, a few of them could blossom.

Things will always work out in the end, but if you want them to turn out a certain way... You need to make it happen.

vCash
    Twins sign RHP Huascar Ynoa for $800k.
    Last edited by Krylian; 07-02-2014 at 09:22 AM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast