Like us on Facebook


Follow us on Twitter





Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 17
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    2,949
    vCash
    1500

    Question Nash & Gasol/Nash & Dwight - Why DIDN'T it work?

    Of course, there is the injury that basically crippled Nash and possibly Dwight's back recovery, along with D'Antoni's system.

    But why didn't it work out when Nash was able to play with them? I figured he'd come over here and throw some sweet passes to those big dudes on the pick and roll or down low in the post.

    Was it D'Antoni's fault for not knowing what to do with Dwight & Gasol?

    I think another factor might've been Kobe, who still shot a lot before his injury, but was he shooting because Nash was being ineffective with the big guys?

    She can turn my "Paige" anytime!

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Estonia
    Posts
    20,963
    vCash
    1500
    D'Antoni nuff said

    Quote Originally Posted by NYSpirit1 View Post
    The Knicks were never this bad of a team. They always have been a 48-50 win team stuck in what was a 21-40 team's body.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Milwaukee, WI
    Posts
    231
    vCash
    1500
    There are several reasons why that team didn't work. There were chemistry problems (i.e. personal relationships Howard and company, Brown/Dan don't have the brass to approach Kobe), midseason coaching change, lack time playing togther, entitlement ("we have four HOF so we'll automatically be there in the end), etc. As much fun as it would be to call individuals out by name, it was a total organizational failure (from Jim and Jeanie, and all the way down to the guy who cleans the lockerrooom at night). It's really disappointing because those guys should have created something special.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    7,915
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by kobe4thewinbang View Post
    Of course, there is the injury that basically crippled Nash and possibly Dwight's back recovery, along with D'Antoni's system.

    But why didn't it work out when Nash was able to play with them? I figured he'd come over here and throw some sweet passes to those big dudes on the pick and roll or down low in the post.

    Was it D'Antoni's fault for not knowing what to do with Dwight & Gasol?

    I think another factor might've been Kobe, who still shot a lot before his injury, but was he shooting because Nash was being ineffective with the big guys?
    D'Antoni... but also, Dwight didn't seem interested in doing what was best for the team. He's not a good back-to-the-basket player, but that's what he wanted to do anyway. D'Antoni accommodated, and sent Pau to the 3-point line. Surely with the front office's blessing, since they pretty much dedicated the entire season to wooing Howard into re-signing.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Burbank, CA. 91506
    Posts
    252
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by MickeyMgl View Post
    D'Antoni... but also, Dwight didn't seem interested in doing what was best for the team. He's not a good back-to-the-basket player, but that's what he wanted to do anyway. D'Antoni accommodated, and sent Pau to the 3-point line. Surely with the front office's blessing, since they pretty much dedicated the entire season to wooing Howard into re-signing.
    Also because they didn't play to their strengths.

    They should have been feeding Pau Gasol in the low post who is a better back-to-basket player than Howard. If the opposing teams collapsed on Gasol that would leave Howard open to break to the basket for the Lob or to rebound Pau Gasols missed shot attempts.

    And I don't think Howard really cared about playing on the Lakers anyways. You could see that in the effort he made or lack there of!
    Lakers & Our Nation is Tanking


    Emmanuel Mudiay | Jahil Okafor | Karl Towns
    Kelly Oubre | Cliff Alexander

    2015 NBA Draft Sweepstakes

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    In a crib
    Posts
    3,413
    vCash
    1500
    dantoni doesn't know how to use true bigs to their strength. If he had it his way, the entire NBA would be 6'8 or under and everyone would need to be able to stroke the 3 ball.. Oh and nobody would be allowed to play defense or they'd get fined by the league..

    Your baby can't do this

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    742
    vCash
    1500
    This failure had nothing to do with the head coach....it was all the front office. For at least two years before being traded to the Lakers, Nash would be found on the sideline laying on his back nursing this back issue. His problem at this particular moment has nothing really to do with an injury he got in LA....it is a result in the degeneration of his back that began years ago. Only the Suns medical personnel were able to give him the illusion he still had basketball life in him. Deny this all you want....I saw this with my own eyes.

    Dwight Howard blocked the trade to LA twice before agreeing to come to the Lakers. The only thing he wanted less than playing for LA...was playing for Orlando. The front office again ignored this because they knew that the magic of wearing the Lakers uniform would fix everything. They adopted a "doing something wrong is always better than doing nothing" attitude, and the worst thing is....they still seem to be operating under this principle. How do I know this? Look at all the player workouts, draft deals, potential trades they are contemplating....and they have no coach. They have no idea what type of player is best for the new coaches style of play....yet they're making critical personnel decisions without one.

    "Contemplate this....on the tree of woe"

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Racine, WI
    Posts
    2,594
    vCash
    1500
    Age, Injuries and bad coaching

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Still1Ballin's basement
    Posts
    16,479
    vCash
    1500
    Celtic Lakers fans

  10. #10
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Hemp Land
    Posts
    10,182
    vCash
    1500
    Dwight is a huge crybaby and didn't want to play pick n roll

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Paris
    Posts
    15,756
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by championships View Post
    Dwight is a huge crybaby and didn't want to play pick n roll
    This, he wanted to play back to the basket when he has no post moves, coaching staff and FO ignored that and sucked his balls to re-sign him and look what happened...

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    733
    vCash
    1500
    All of the above.

    MDA is and was clueless - especially about how to use bigs.
    DH was a complete *** during his tenure here.
    And injuries/age played a huge role.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Southern California
    Posts
    26,775
    vCash
    1500
    Injuries, nuff said.

    Dwigth was hurt coming in, so no training camp.

    Then nash got hurt

    Gasol was up and down all season

    kobe was the only consistent until he got hurt at the end.

    It wasn't any one persons fault imo because they never truly got a chance to play together.

    This is how we do it! I still believe



  14. #14
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    9,794
    vCash
    1500
    who cares... it is history...

    look to the future

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Daly City
    Posts
    1,376
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by royal bob View Post
    This failure had nothing to do with the head coach....it was all the front office. For at least two years before being traded to the Lakers, Nash would be found on the sideline laying on his back nursing this back issue. His problem at this particular moment has nothing really to do with an injury he got in LA....it is a result in the degeneration of his back that began years ago. Only the Suns medical personnel were able to give him the illusion he still had basketball life in him. Deny this all you want....I saw this with my own eyes.

    Dwight Howard blocked the trade to LA twice before agreeing to come to the Lakers. The only thing he wanted less than playing for LA...was playing for Orlando. The front office again ignored this because they knew that the magic of wearing the Lakers uniform would fix everything. They adopted a "doing something wrong is always better than doing nothing" attitude, and the worst thing is....they still seem to be operating under this principle. How do I know this? Look at all the player workouts, draft deals, potential trades they are contemplating....and they have no coach. They have no idea what type of player is best for the new coaches style of play....yet they're making critical personnel decisions without one.

    "Contemplate this....on the tree of woe"
    Thats it, case closed, nuff said. Lets go have a beer.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •