Page 1 of 15 12311 ... LastLast
    vCash

Hakeem Olajuwon or Tim Duncan - Start a franchise

Who do you take?
    "Talent wins games, but teamwork and intelligence wins championships."
    - Michael Jordan

Thanks MJ-Bulls for the picture.

vCash
    As much as I love and respect Timmy D, my answer is easily The Dream.

Best 2-way Center to ever pick up a basketball.

vCash
    I'd have to go with Duncan. If you're looking at body of work, Duncan has been more consistent for his entire career while you saw a drastic decline in the Hakeem later in his career. If you're talking if both players are in the same draft class then that's just buyers choice you couldn't make a wrong choice

vCash
    I'd go with Duncan. Though Olajuwan was a super player and right behind Duncan in terms of big man ranking.

In terms of pure skill and heart,

Kareem
    Wilt
    Russell
    Shaq
    Duncan
    Hakeem

she says go for the championship

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by JordansBulls View Post
    Who do you take?
    I love Duncan, but Olajuwon hands down....

Lets not forget that The Dream had very limited basketball experience when he entered the league. So he had to develop while being the man in Houston.. Duncan was a polished product entering the league and came to a good franchise..

vCash
    The great thing about this comparison: both Hakeem & Duncan are gentlemen. Great leaders. Great teammates. Incredibly likable. Two guys that know how to play basketball and know the value of being decent human beings to other people.

Now that the mush stuff is out...I hate to disagree with some of you here but Hakeem's prime trumps Duncan's prime maybe twice over. Hakeem could do everything Duncan could do offensively--and some things better--AND the Dream was superior defensively.

I love Duncan as much as the next guy but how great a career do you think he would have had banging bodies with Ewing, Mourning, Mutombo, Rodman, Cartwright, Willis, Smits, and a whole slew of other very physical centers every night? I'm sure he'd still be great BUT we would have had to have seen it to be sure.

But Hakeem wasn't just great against those guys, he was dominant. That's just other worldly. I don't think that can be overlooked.

Also, let's be honest, one of the reasons Duncan has played so long and relatively injury free is definitely the lack of physical contact the modern game offers today. No other real 7 foot Center or Power Forward to bang bodies with every night definitely keeps you from having early back problems or bad knees.

I know everyone is in love with Duncan at the moment but don't forget Hakeem was the 2nd best player of a generation--2nd only to the consensus GOAT.

Head to head would have been a lot of fun to watch. I don't think there's a wrong answer here but I would bet most analysts who've watched both of their careers start to finish would probably put Hakeem slightly ahead. It's hard to ignore the dominance that Hakeem demonstrated and that Duncan never did.

Many of you are too young but go watch Rockets vs Orlando. I know Shaq was young but Hakeem just basically taught him how to play basketball. It was pretty awesome.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by COOLbeans View Post
    I'd go with Duncan. Though Olajuwan was a super player and right behind Duncan in terms of big man ranking.

In terms of pure skill and heart,

Kareem
    Wilt
    Russell
    Shaq
    Duncan
    Hakeem
    I'm confused by your criteria. How do you measure the heart of those players? How do you put Shaq ahead of Hakeem using "skill" as a criteria? Or either Kareem or Wilt ahead of Russell if both "skill" & "heart" are criteria meant literally as sports adjectives?

Can you please define your criteria?

Windsor, Earth's Rectum (as reported by Stephen Colbert).
    vCash
    If we are talking about the first ten years of their careers, then easily Hakeem...

But if we are talking about their full career, I have to do with Duncan. He aged much better than Hakeem, and that gives you a longer window to win.

One-on-one in their prime, no doubt Hakeem was better.
    What the eye doesn't see and the mind doesn't know, doesn't exist.
    Follow me on Twitter and I'll follow back: @JasonJHorn

Windsor, Earth's Rectum (as reported by Stephen Colbert).
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jmaest View Post
    The great thing about this comparison: both Hakeem & Duncan are gentlemen. Great leaders. Great teammates. Incredibly likable. Two guys that know how to play basketball and know the value of being decent human beings to other people.

Now that the mush stuff is out...I hate to disagree with some of you here but Hakeem's prime trumps Duncan's prime maybe twice over. Hakeem could do everything Duncan could do offensively--and some things better--AND the Dream was superior defensively.

I love Duncan as much as the next guy but how great a career do you think he would have had banging bodies with Ewing, Mourning, Mutombo, Rodman, Cartwright, Willis, Smits, and a whole slew of other very physical centers every night? I'm sure he'd still be great BUT we would have had to have seen it to be sure.

But Hakeem wasn't just great against those guys, he was dominant. That's just other worldly. I don't think that can be overlooked.

Also, let's be honest, one of the reasons Duncan has played so long and relatively injury free is definitely the lack of physical contact the modern game offers today. No other real 7 foot Center or Power Forward to bang bodies with every night definitely keeps you from having early back problems or bad knees.

I know everyone is in love with Duncan at the moment but don't forget Hakeem was the 2nd best player of a generation--2nd only to the consensus GOAT.

Head to head would have been a lot of fun to watch. I don't think there's a wrong answer here but I would bet most analysts who've watched both of their careers start to finish would probably put Hakeem slightly ahead. It's hard to ignore the dominance that Hakeem demonstrated and that Duncan never did.

Many of you are too young but go watch Rockets vs Orlando. I know Shaq was young but Hakeem just basically taught him how to play basketball. It was pretty awesome.
    Great analysis. I agree with most of what you said. I'd go with Duncan because he aged better.

In their respective primes, I'd take Hakeem, but 35+ Duncan is better than 35+ Hakeem.

Also, Duncan had to work with the 3-seconds-with-your-back-to-the-basket rule... Hakeem didn't. And Pop didn't run as many plays through Tim as Hakeem's coaches ran through him.

Hakeem was just SO awesome!
    I miss him.
    What the eye doesn't see and the mind doesn't know, doesn't exist.
    Follow me on Twitter and I'll follow back: @JasonJHorn

vCash
    Hakeem vs Duncan is like MJ vs LeBron arguments. Hakeem was an artist like MJ and Duncan has surgical precision and efficiency like LeBron. Both are great players but I prefer the guy who is an innovator and brings great flair to the game. I take Hakeem here, but Duncan is certainly the man in his own right.

vCash
    I went Timmy but want to change my answer only because how dry the competition is from 2000 on at this position.

What was meant for me will be Mine once again... THE CHAMP OF CHAMPS IS BACK

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by spurs4#5 View Post
    I'd have to go with Duncan. If you're looking at body of work, Duncan has been more consistent for his entire career while you saw a drastic decline in the Hakeem later in his career. If you're talking if both players are in the same draft class then that's just buyers choice you couldn't make a wrong choice
    it wasn't that drastic.... he was 19-10 with 2.5 blocks at the age of 36, and then his minutes got slashed to the low 20s per game for his last couple years... per 48 his numbers are pretty close to Duncan's at the same age, and 19-10-2.5 is pretty dam solid for a 36 year old...

I'd take Hakeem by a very slight margin. Obviously you can't go wrong either way, they're both top 10 players of all-time and arguably the best PF and C to ever play.
    On top of that they're probably the two most likeable and professional of all of the elite all-time NBA players.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by JasonJohnHorn View Post
    If we are talking about the first ten years of their careers, then easily Hakeem...

But if we are talking about their full career, I have to do with Duncan. He aged much better than Hakeem, and that gives you a longer window to win.

One-on-one in their prime, no doubt Hakeem was better.
    I agree with the above post which shares some of the main reasons why I voted for Hakeem.

vCash
    Kinda a no brainier to go with Hakeem for me. The longevity is also kinda over exaggerated also. Hakeem was elite for 14 years, 1 more than Duncan IMO. Hakeem played well over 35 mpg from 22 til about 36. Duncan hasn't played over 35 mpg since he was 28 and plays 6th man minutes for a large portion of his career. He's be an equal part of a 3 headed monster for the spurs, the majority of his career with ginobli and Parker having an almost equal key to spurs sucess, and it's helped prolong Duncan's career drastically.
    My Ignore list: Naps, bucketss, iknowhoops....

2014 Adopt a Packer
    Randall Cobb

Receptions: 54
    Yards: 779
    Tds: 10

vCash
    timmy

i wont get quit the peak as i would with hakeem,but i also wont get the sudden and dramatic drop off.tmmy will still be good from 35 onwards

Page 1 of 15 12311 ... LastLast