Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    vCash

Yasmani Tomas Leaves Cuba

Tomas is 23 and has played five seasons in Serie Nacional, so he will be exempt from the international bonus pools, even when the new rules kick in on July 2 that require five seasons instead of three for pool exemption. Tomas was arguably one of the top 10 or so players left in Cuba in terms of major league potential, and one of the top half dozen players who meet MLB’s 23-and-5 rules, the sweet spot for a signing unencumbered by the pools.
    I don't know much about the international prospects, but he's 23 and recently defected. Why not go after him? Is there any chance that we even have a discussion about it?

vCash
    the success of cespedes, puig, and abreu will likely drive the price higher than what the mets would be willing to gamble, imo.
    "The 90 wins is about challenge. It's about changing the conversation. It's about framing questions for ourselves as to how we get there. So I stand by the notion that we need to get better, and in doing so we need to set concrete goals for ourselves so that we have sort of specific conversations among ourselves about how we're going to get there." -- Mr. Alderson

vCash

Yasmani Tomas Leaves Cuba

I wouldn't count on it

vCash
    Not going to happen.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Dugmet View Post
    the success of cespedes, puig, and abreu will likely drive the price higher than what the mets would be willing to gamble, imo.
    Agreed. Also, the cost of buying him a uniform will likely drive the price higher that what the Mets would be willing to gamble.

vCash
    I already mention him in the other thread. This guy must be priority number one for the mets. It's about ****ing time they invest in a guy like this. No more bull **** excuses.

vCash
    Spindy claims that the organization has money to spend. PROVE IT.

http://metsblog.com/metsblog/opinion...yasmani-tomas/
    23-year-old Cuban OF Yasmani Tomas has defected and will pursue an MLB contract, according to reporter Ben Badler (Baseball America, June 20).

Tomas is a right-handed-hitting corner outfielder and one of the top young power hitters in Cuba.

“He can hit towering home runs thanks to the strength from his thickly-built 6-foot-1, 230-pound frame,” Badler writes. “He has some experience in center field and is a decent runner for his size, but his speed is still below-average and he’s going to be a corner outfielder in pro ball.”

Matthew Cerrone, Lead Writer

I was SO wrong about Jose Abreu it’s laughable. Thankfully, I wasn’t alone, since pretty much every National League team was leery of signing him, because he profiled to be an obvious DH… and still does.

In this case, though, with Tomas, I want the Mets to make a move.

This guy can play the outfield. Badler says he hits ‘towering home runs,’ and, frankly, that’s good enough for me. At this point, given the state of the Mets offense and lack of immediate help in the farm system, even if this guy is a total bust, it would probably be worth the bet.

The White Sox gave six years and $68 million to Abreu. The Mets made a $60 million commitment to Curtis Granderson. Abreu has hit more home runs this season by June (20) than Granderson may hit all year. I know it’s not a fair comparison, since the Mets needed an outfielder more than a first baseman, let alone a DH. However, they still need an outfielder, and they still need power. And, if Tomas, can be that, which it sounds like he can, the Mets should step up like the home-run hungry, New York team that they are and go for it when the bidding likely starts this winter.
    Sandy Alderson says Mets' 2014 payroll will be more than $87 million
    (11/19/2013)

Quote Originally Posted by Sandy Alderson
    Payroll is $85 million this year. It was $85 million last year.
    (05/27/14)

Quote Originally Posted by Sandy Alderson
    I don't think we're that far away.
    (6 games under .500 before June. Not that far away from what?)

vCash
    The Mets are a LF and a SS away from being legit in 2015. Go fill the ****ing voids. Getting guys like this signed for 5 years is how you build a sustainable winner. Look at Cespedes' contract--it's designed to get traded in the final two years of the deal. If Yasmani Tomas is good, you roll with him for 3 years and deal him when guys like Conforto/Nimmo are ready to man the fort.

vCash
    Plus the Mets are in need of finding a SS or LF that can bat clean-up. You're not going to find that type of guy just sitting there in FA without spending 150M.

I can't find the quote, but last year when asked about Abreu, Sandy said something along the lines of "if he was an outfielder we would certainly have more interest". Well put your damn money where your mouth is and go get a guy like Tomas.

vCash
    Actually it wasn't Sandy that said that, it's even better it was Jeff Wilpon:

"Mets chief operating officer Jeff Wilpon says that his team would have made an offer to Jose Dariel Abreu if he were a corner outfielder rather than a first baseman, Newsday’s Marc Carig tweets."

vCash
    So do we know anything about the guy other than he was a good Cuban player? or are we just going to blast the Mets in advance for not spending money?

Nobody even mentions the position the guy plays until an article in post 7

Let's keep this about baseball

Thanks in advance...
    The Michigan team bus was stuck outside Notre Dame stadium for hours after somebody painted a 20 yard line in the parking lot

vCash
    Baseball America Article:

Yasmani Tomas, one of the top young power hitters in Cuba and a member of the national team, has left the island to pursue a contract with a major league team, Baseball America has learned. The Cuban newspaper Granma also confirmed that Tomas had left the country.

Tomas is 23 and has played five seasons in Serie Nacional, so he will be exempt from the international bonus pools, even when the new rules kick in on July 2 that require five seasons instead of three for pool exemption. Tomas was arguably one of the top 10 or so players left in Cuba in terms of major league potential, and one of the top half dozen players who meet MLB’s 23-and-5 rules, the sweet spot for a signing unencumbered by the pools.

A righthanded-hitting corner outfielder, Tomas can hit towering home runs thanks to the strength from his thickly-built 6-foot-1, 230-pound frame. Tomas has 70 raw power on the 20-80 scale, and with Jose Abreu already gone, the only player still in Cuba with more raw power than him was Alfredo Despaigne. He has some experience in center field and is a decent runner for his size, but his speed is still below-average and he’s going to be a corner outfielder in pro ball.

Tomas was one of the youngest players on the Cuban national team at the 2013 World Baseball Classic, although he had an up-and-down season for his Industriales team this past season. Given his present talent level, Tomas might have a chance to go straight into a major league lineup, but a more likely scenario would have him starting in the upper minors, with Triple-A seeming like a good fit.

The WBC provided a breakout platform for Tomas to showcase his skills in front of scouts, and he seized the opportunity, ranking as the No. 6 prospect at the tournament. While veteran national teamer Alexei Bell started the tournament in right field, by the end of the event Tomas was getting more playing time, going 6-for-16 (.412) with two home runs, one double, one walk and four strikeouts. During the 2012-13 Serie Nacional regular season that year, Tomas hit .289/.364/.538 with 15 home runs, 34 walks (10 intentional) and 52 strikeouts in 324 plate appearances over 81 games, ranking fifth in the league in slugging and sixth in home runs. That came one year after his breakthrough 2011-12 campaign when he batted .301/.340/.580 with 16 homers in 240 plate appearances over 69 games.

Tomas did show some swing-and-miss tendencies at the WBC with an uppercut stroke and trouble handling good breaking pitches. Three months after the WBC, when Cuba took a team to the U.S. last summer to face the college national team, the U.S. power arms were able to exploit some of those holes by beating him with good velocity up and in and getting him to swing through soft stuff in and out of the zone.

This past season in Cuba, which ended with Industriales losing in the semifinals in April, Tomas seemed to regress, even losing playing time in the second half, which one source said was the result of an arm injury he sustained crashing into an outfield wall in February. He finished the season at .290/.346/.450 with six home runs, 21 walks and 46 strikeouts in 257 plate appearances.

Tomas will still have to obtain residency in another country, get an unblocking license from the United States Department of the Treasury’s Office of Foreign Assets Control (OFAC) and be declared a free agent by Major League Baseball to be eligible to enter into an agreement with a club. The timetable for jumping through those hurdles varies, though it seems unlikely Tomas would sign before the end of the season and it might take him until 2015 to ultimately sign.
    http://www.baseballamerica.com/inter...s-leaves-cuba/

vCash
    +1

I think the conversation ends here folks. Mets aren't likely to go 5-6 years on him. They'll take short term risks - but not long term risks.
    Last edited by Dugmet; 06-20-2014 at 02:21 PM. Reason: moscato
    "The 90 wins is about challenge. It's about changing the conversation. It's about framing questions for ourselves as to how we get there. So I stand by the notion that we need to get better, and in doing so we need to set concrete goals for ourselves so that we have sort of specific conversations among ourselves about how we're going to get there." -- Mr. Alderson

vCash
    I don't think he will get as much as Abreu. I think around 5 years and 50M will do it. That's just my opinion.

I mean, I'd rather land this guy, trade for a SS, and keep our draft pick than lose a draft pick to sign someone like Nelson Cruz who will get more than what Tomas will get and is a decade older.

vCash
    +1

I think the conversation ends here folks. Mets aren't likely to go 5-6 years on him. They'll take short term risks - but not long term risks.
    Did you just agree with yourself?

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast