Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    vCash

Power Hitter Yasmani Tomas Defects From Cuba

Might as well start it before someone else does:

Yasmani Tomas, one of the top young power hitters in Cuba and a member of the national team, has left the island to pursue a contract with a major league team, Baseball America has learned. The Cuban newspaper Granma also confirmed that Tomas had left the country.

Tomas is 23 and has played five seasons in Serie Nacional, so he will be exempt from the international bonus pools, even when the new rules kick in on July 2 that require five seasons instead of three for pool exemption. Tomas was arguably one of the top 10 or so players left in Cuba in terms of major league potential, and one of the top half dozen players who meet MLB’s 23-and-5 rules, the sweet spot for a signing unencumbered by the pools.

A righthanded-hitting corner outfielder, Tomas can hit towering home runs thanks to the strength from his thickly-built 6-foot-1, 230-pound frame. Tomas has 70 raw power on the 20-80 scale, and with Jose Abreu already gone, the only player still in Cuba with more raw power than him was Alfredo Despaigne. He has some experience in center field and is a decent runner for his size, but his speed is still below-average and he’s going to be a corner outfielder in pro ball.

Tomas was one of the youngest players on the Cuban national team at the 2013 World Baseball Classic, although he had an up-and-down season for his Industriales team this past season. Given his present talent level, Tomas might have a chance to go straight into a major league lineup, but a more likely scenario would have him starting in the upper minors, with Triple-A seeming like a good fit.

The WBC provided a breakout platform for Tomas to showcase his skills in front of scouts, and he seized the opportunity, ranking as the No. 6 prospect at the tournament. While veteran national teamer Alexei Bell started the tournament in right field, by the end of the event Tomas was getting more playing time, going 6-for-16 (.412) with two home runs, one double, one walk and four strikeouts. During the 2012-13 Serie Nacional regular season that year, Tomas hit .289/.364/.538 with 15 home runs, 34 walks (10 intentional) and 52 strikeouts in 324 plate appearances over 81 games, ranking fifth in the league in slugging and sixth in home runs. That came one year after his breakthrough 2011-12 campaign when he batted .301/.340/.580 with 16 homers in 240 plate appearances over 69 games.

Tomas did show some swing-and-miss tendencies at the WBC with an uppercut stroke and trouble handling good breaking pitches. Three months after the WBC, when Cuba took a team to the U.S. last summer to face the college national team, the U.S. power arms were able to exploit some of those holes by beating him with good velocity up and in and getting him to swing through soft stuff in and out of the zone.

This past season in Cuba, which ended with Industriales losing in the semifinals in April, Tomas seemed to regress, even losing playing time in the second half, which one source said was the result of an arm injury he sustained crashing into an outfield wall in February. He finished the season at .290/.346/.450 with six home runs, 21 walks and 46 strikeouts in 257 plate appearances.

Tomas will still have to obtain residency in another country, get an unblocking license from the United States Department of the Treasury’s Office of Foreign Assets Control (OFAC) and be declared a free agent by Major League Baseball to be eligible to enter into an agreement with a club. The timetable for jumping through those hurdles varies, though it seems unlikely Tomas would sign before the end of the season and it might take him until 2015 to ultimately sign.
    http://www.prosportsdaily.com/Headli...ticleId=309530

Alright, let all the, "We must sign him, he's freakin amazing wit hiz raw power that goes twenty rows back in the stands. He needs to be a Yankee pronto, Cashman do it or he needz to be fired," posters do their stuff in here.

Welcome to KC, Miss Kacie!

vCash
    Sign him

I meese you Señor Rodriguez

vCash
    Wait till the workout tape gets released, then people will be in here going nuts.

vCash
    Cashman needz to sign him or else he's fired.
    <a href=http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/2/29/Ichiro_Suzuki_on_August_1%2C_2012.jpg/240px-Ichiro_Suzuki_on_August_1%2C_2012.jpg target=_blank>http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi..._1%2C_2012.jpg</a>

BA: .308 HR: NONE! RBI: 10 SB: 4 AGE: 40

vCash
    Seriously this needs to happen. Unlike Abreu who didn't really have a spot here (they could have got creative and had him be permanent DH but whatever) He can actually slot into a corner outfield position next year. If they learned there lesson with Cespedes, Puig, Chapman and Abreu. They need young power hitters here and he's only 23

vCash
    The Binder will discuss this with Cashman.

Masahiro Tanaka

11-1| 99.2 IP| 10.20 K/9| 1.44 BB/9| 0.90 HR/9| 1.99 ERA| 2.70 FIP| 2.32 xFIP| 2.9 fWAR

vCash
    I say sign him, a corner outfielder (Sori, Ichi both gone next year) great power hitter from what ive been reading , 70 raw power… and wouldnt cost us anything but $$ basically.

Look at the recent cuban defectors
    Cespedes
    Puig
    Abreu
    Chapman

All successful

Plus hes a right handed bat… with power lol
    Mark Teixeira #25
    R- 20 H-30 HR-9 RBI-25 BB-19SO-27AVG-.259 OBP-.377 SLG-.509

vCash
    If Cashman lets another Cuban player who is a difference maker go, I'll scream. I'd like to believe that after Chapman, Cespedes, Puig and Abreu they've learned their lesson. I can see some rationale behind the others but how do you miss Puig? They didn't even make him an offer.

vCash
    I knew about guys like Chapman, Cespedes, Puig and Abreu (even Soler, who's in the Cubs system) but I have never heard about this guy before this morning.

Those guys had legit hype, this guy not so much. It doesn't mean he's not any good but expectations should be tempered.
    Yankees - Jets - Rockets

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by DasBoot View Post
    If Cashman lets another Cuban player who is a difference maker go, I'll scream. I'd like to believe that after Chapman, Cespedes, Puig and Abreu they've learned their lesson. I can see some rationale behind the others but how do you miss Puig? They didn't even make him an offer.
    Because Puig was a virtual unknown. After Cespedes signed, Soler was considered the prize. It took months, but finally Soler signed with the Cubs, then like a few hours later a report came out on Puig. He was very raw and considered a decent fallback option. Many on here didn't want him because there were too many question marks. He was a major buyer beware because nothing was known about him.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by nyyfan4life View Post
    I knew about guys like Chapman, Cespedes, Puig and Abreu (even Soler, who's in the Cubs system) but I have never heard about this guy before this morning.

Those guys had legit hype, this guy not so much. It doesn't mean he's not any good but expectations should be tempered.
    Now you kind of sound like some of the posters on here. They never have heard of IFA Player A, but act like they've been following his careers all their lives. In reality though, the first time they've heard their name was the morning the report about IFA Player A came out. Other than the raw power, I know nothing on this guy. Jon Paul Morosi compared Tomas to Dayán Viciedo on the Rundown this morning so there's also that.

vCash
    As Leo would say "sign everyone".
    http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/b/bf/Odb_welfare.jpg

vCash
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ltJjQ-iTj2c
    He definitely has raw power.

The only thing is that his stats progressively got worse over his last 3 years in Cuba after his 'breakout' '11-'12 season. Plus, like most Cuban players, he seems to be a poor defender.

I don't think he's someone you can offer big money. He'll need seasoning in the MiL. More than likely, starting in AA.
    Yankees - Jets - Rockets

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by nyyfan4life View Post
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ltJjQ-iTj2c
    He definitely has raw power.

The only thing is that his stats progressively got worse over his last 3 years in Cuba after his 'breakout' '11-'12 season. Plus, like most Cuban players, he seems to be a poor defender.

I don't think he's someone you can offer big money. He'll need seasoning in the MiL. More than likely, starting in AA.
    I'm hearing it'll cost big to get him with the recent success of other Cubans in the league. I'm not sure, but I don't think he's worth it.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by xXx J0SE 21 xXx View Post
    I say sign him, a corner outfielder (Sori, Ichi both gone next year) great power hitter from what ive been reading , 70 raw power… and wouldnt cost us anything but $$ basically.

Look at the recent cuban defectors
    Cespedes
    Puig
    Abreu
    Chapman

All successful

Plus hes a right handed bat… with power lol
    There are also a ton of Cuban players who didn't work out. Those guys cost big bucks for a reason, they were very highly touted. This guy has power but has plenty of holes in his game.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast