Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

vCash

Steve Hutchinson hopes to rejoin the Minnesota Vikings

Vikings: Steve Hutchinson hopes to rejoin team as a scout
    By Chris Tomasson
    ctomasson@pioneerpress.com

Former all-pro guard Steve Hutchinson is hoping to return to the Vikings organization.

Hutchinson, a seven-time pro bowler who played for Minnesota from 2006-11, said Wednesday he has talked to Vikings general manager Rick Spielman and assistant general manager George Paton about possibly being a pro scout for the team in the South. The team, he said, has been receptive.

After leaving Minnesota, Hutchinson played the 2012 season for Tennessee before concluding a 12-year NFL career that started with five seasons in Seattle. He is moving next week with his wife, Landyn, and their two young children from Wayzata to Nashville, Tenn., in order to be closer to relatives who live in the South.

"I've been talking a little bit with the Vikings about potentially scouting a little bit," Hutchinson told the Pioneer Press. "They got to kind of see. I've got to get settled in down there first and see what the lay of the land is. If they need a presence down South or something, depending on what they might need my skill set for (we might make a deal) . But it's nothing that's set in stone right now; it's kind of just talk right now."

Hutchinson, 36, visited Wednesday's minicamp at Winter Park to say goodbye to some in the organization. He said "it'd be cool" if he rejoined the team in some capacity.

The guard left the Vikings as one of the more decorated offensive linemen in recent NFL history. With Minnesota, he earned four of his pro-bowl berths and three of his five career first-team all-pro selections.

Hutchinson will be eligible for the Pro Football Hall of Fame in 2018. He has the credentials to one day possibly be enshrined.

"That's kind of the ultimate," he said. "That's as high of an individual honor as you can get, being in the hall of fame. I'm hopeful, but that's not for me to decide."

Hutchinson was bothered by shoulder injuries late in his career, and believes he retired at the right time. He said he feels good now, and is down to 285 pounds after having played at 315.

"My body was kind of falling apart," he said. "It's harder as you get older to keep up your strength, and guys coming in that you're playing against aren't getting younger. But 12 years, I can't complain. Not a bad career."

http://www.twincities.com/vikings/ci...oin-team-scout

vCash
    I love Hutch, one of my all time favs. It's also amazing his twitter handle is @poisonpill76

I would love if would scout for us, if he can scout half as good as he played that'd be awesome.