Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    vCash

Aroldis Chapman's changeup

Aroldis Chapman throws 102 MPH

He now throws a 90 MPH changeup as well.

Hitters have taken 14 swings at his changeup this season. Nobody's made contact yet.

http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/arold...el-experiment/
    Donít argue with idiots because they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience. óGreg King

vCash
    Wants to ensure nobody squares him up and sends another shot to the dome piece.
    Alshon's Athletic Bloodlines Run Deep (AND CATCH EVERYTHING)

vCash
    Can't wait for someone to throw him in the rotation....Hits FA for 2017!

vCash
    Per Fangraphs, his fastball velocity is up a few mphs this year, and his changeup has slowed down quite a bit more. Average FB is sitting in at 100.1 and his change ups are at 88.4. That's a much bigger gap than 98.4 to 93.7 like last year. Clearly leading to a pretty devastating pitch.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by SenorGato View Post
    Can't wait for someone to throw him in the rotation....Hits FA for 2017!
    You're really counting on a RP in 2017 ?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ATL#22 View Post
    You're really counting on a RP in 2017 ?
    I'm not sure what this means, but I am on the extreme end of excited for him to hit FA. Guy is a historic pitching talent.

vCash
    The time for Chapman as starter is growing shorter by the day.

Once a team invests tens of millions of dollars in him they are much less likely to risk a return on that investment by trying him as a starter.

If the Reds had tried Chapman as a starter earlier in his career, and he had failed and short circuited his career, they would have been out $30 million and a guy who could have been a dominant reliever.

If a team decides after free agency to try Chapman as a starter and he fails and short circuits his career they are out likely more than $30 million and a guy who has proven to be a dominant reliever.

I would have done my best to convince him to start games rather than finish them.
    Donít argue with idiots because they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience. óGreg King

vCash
    The time for Chapman as starter is growing shorter by the day.
    Not sure I buy this. No injury history beyond dumb things like line drives to the face. From there you're assuming that starting him post-FA will somehow destroy any chance of relieving again.

That he's put so much time into the slider and changeup as pitches is encouraging if you're into the idea of starting him in the future.

vCash
    Not sure I buy this. No injury history beyond dumb things like line drives to the face. From there you're assuming that starting him post-FA will somehow destroy any chance of relieving again.

That he's put so much time into the slider and changeup as pitches is encouraging if you're into the idea of starting him in the future.
    Starting and relieving are just different beasts though. I don't know the exact numbers, but a good portion of relievers were starters first, but couldn't hack it. The later it gets, the harder it could be to transition.

Plus, you are then adding 100 IP a year later in his career, and you don't know how well he could handle it.

Plus you can't expect the same numbers as a starter. Probably nowhere close.
    You have no idea how excited I am right now.

vCash
    That 90 mph changeup is just unfair.

vCash
    I'm not sure what this means, but I am on the extreme end of excited for him to hit FA. Guy is a historic pitching talent.
    It means you shouldn't hold your breath on a RP (or pitcher) to still be great in 2017

The Cult of Gattis

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ATL#22 View Post
    It means you shouldn't hold your breath on a RP (or pitcher) to still be great in 2017
    That's universally accepted but, it's nothing set in stone and is a semi silly way to approach things. Sure anything can happen but, you don't have act like it's a predetermined outcome.

I don't know anyone whou shouldn't look forward to a pitcher of his caliber to hit the FA market. I also am as excited to see him get stretched out as a starter again. Not easy and I am sure you can find way more cases of failures then success. I can think of a couple who were failed starters that regained themselves as BP guys and then went back on to actual become pretty damn good starters after.

Not all of this was directed towards your comment this was just a general reply.

vCash
    What's the movement like from those who have seen it? Felix throws a 90 MPH change that people think is a splitter, I assume Chapmans is similar.
    You have no idea how excited I am right now.

vCash
    He froze Cutch today on a straight change. No movement or fade, about belt high.
    Alshon's Athletic Bloodlines Run Deep (AND CATCH EVERYTHING)

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jej View Post
    What's the movement like from those who have seen it? Felix throws a 90 MPH change that people think is a splitter, I assume Chapmans is similar.
    We can do better than seeing it

Chapman's change averages 7.53 inches of horizontal movement and 9.6 inches of vertical movement
    *http://www.brooksbaseball.net/velo.p...ate=06/20/2014

Felix's averages 6.2 inches of horizontal movement and 1.3 inches of vertical movement.
    *http://www.brooksbaseball.net/velo.p...ate=06/20/2014

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast