Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 67 of 122 FirstFirst ... 1757656667686977117 ... LastLast
Results 991 to 1,005 of 1823
    vCash
    According to Kiley McDaniel, the Cubs signed Panamanian SS Francisco Garay today.

https://twitter.com/kileymcd/status/484503343641817089

Some smoke re: Cubs preparing to blow their IFA wad again in 2015.

https://twitter.com/kileymcd/status/484504995388080128

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by conysdad View Post
    According to Kiley McDaniel, the Cubs signed Panamanian SS Francisco Garay today.

https://twitter.com/kileymcd/status/484503343641817089

Some smoke re: Cubs preparing to blow their IFA wad again in 2015.

https://twitter.com/kileymcd/status/484504995388080128

I ****ing love this strategy. My only hope is the MLB doesn't implement something that will prevent this from happening (and sadly I fully anticipate they will).

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by cubsbullsbears2 View Post
    [/B]

I ****ing love this strategy. My only hope is the MLB doesn't implement something that will prevent this from happening (and sadly I fully anticipate they will).
    Isn't an international draft rumored? Gotta think that'd be slotted.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by cubsbullsbears2 View Post
    [/B]

They probably will at somepoint in the future other wise it will be Yankees, Cubs and Rangers getting the top guys every other year.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by JBears79 View Post
    They probably will at somepoint in the future other wise it will be Yankees, Cubs and Rangers getting the top guys every other year.
    I am completely fine with this.

vCash
    That's the plan, yes. Eventually, MLB will implement a draft to correct the inefficiency.

We just need to hope that it's after 2015. These agreements are in place earlier and earlier each year. To know that the groundwork for 2015 is being/has been laid is awesome. Just need to push the draft to 2016.

If things continue to play out the way it looks, it'll be the Cubs and Rangers battling to blow $25-30m in IFA next year.

vCash
    Dylan Cease reportedly signing tomorrow for $1.5 million per Arguello

Report: Dylan Cease to sign tomorrow for $1.5M... http://t.co/XhY7waAnPN

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by cubbie5150 View Post
    Dylan Cease reportedly signing tomorrow for $1.5 million per Arguello

Report: Dylan Cease to sign tomorrow for $1.5M... http://t.co/XhY7waAnPN

Props to Rcal bye shark
    BUTTERFLIES AND RAINBOWS!!!!! I love it when a plan comes together - John Hannibal Smith.

"I hear STUPID People...When? Alllll theee timmme"

vCash
    If you go over 15% it is now a 2 year penalty of not signing anyone for over $300,000. I really like to wait till 2016 to go big again assuming Texas is going to blow through their cap, you'd basically have the top prospects all to your self. If they think there is a 2015 stud, then that it out the window.

vCash
    Cease is going to need Tommy John though right?

vCash
    I don't understand why teams would not want to pull the trigger on Shark now (or even earlier). Waiting until July 31st costs them 5 possible starts; even more had they traded earlier. The playoff races are close every year. Many times coming down to the last game of the season or even an extra game. Waiting makes no sense especially because at the deadline the team will likely have to give up more because of a flurry of other desperate teams.
    I'm not as think as you bad off I am...
    I have a split personality, and so do I.

vCash
    Seth Smith extended his contract. Damn you, San Diego.

vCash

2014 Free Agent and Trade Discussion v4.0

Quote Originally Posted by Timmmahhh View Post
    http://www.cbssports.com/mlb/writer/jon-heyman/24603253/rays-eye-dodgers-prospects-but-its-too-high-a-price-for-la-to-pay
    Hey man, Jon Heyman here. Let me tell you about one of the best trades surely being discussed now. The Dodgers would surely like to trade for David Price, who is one of the best pitchers in the game. Only problem is, the Rays are surely asking for many prospects who are some of the best prospects in the game. Surely, they have inquired about Corey Seager, who is surely one of the best shortstop prospects in the game. The Dodgers would surely like to keep him, being one of the best shortstop prospects in the game. Another one of the best prospects in the game is Joc Pederson, who the Rays would surely like in exchange for Price (surely one of the best pitchers in the game). The Dodgers also have Julio Urias, who is surely 17-years-old and surely a pitcher who is surely one of the best at being a pitcher. Rays surely want have. Dodgers surely no want give.
    Last edited by Rynoplasty; 07-03-2014 at 01:59 AM.

vCash
    It's not a claim to permanence, it's a claim to legitimate adjustments being made
    Aka "He had a good June."

Hell, with the year he's having Alcantara may keep the momentum and even be quite successful during his likely midseason callup. Still would pull the trigger on a trade for Hamels. Apologies for the day later post on it.

Quote Originally Posted by NORTH10 View Post
    Seth Smith extended his contract. Damn you, San Diego.
    Damn.
    Last edited by SenorGato; 07-03-2014 at 05:03 AM.

vCash
    Jonah Keri piece on the trade deadline:

http://grantland.com/the-triangle/20...adline-primer/

1. There are currently way more buyers than sellers.

Every source I interviewed echoed this sentiment, noting that the second wild-card spot has caused more teams to delude themselves into thinking they have a chance to contend. And because the demand is higher than the supply, gridlock has ensued: “So many teams are in it that the buyers greatly outnumber the sellers,” said one NL exec, “and for that reason the sellers are asking for crazy-high prices, so nothing is happening.”

While the previously referenced leaked Astros trade talks got 99 percent of the baseball world gossiping, the content of the talks themselves really isn’t all that atypical. Lousy teams head into every July thinking they can spin a Bud Norris into 28 elite prospects and a Tesla. So even though contenders understand the benefit of getting help on June 15 instead of July 31, they often end up waiting until the final moment to make a deal, because that’s how long it takes for sellers to face reality and recognize that they’re not going to get as much as they hoped they might. That’s how it is in the new wild-card era, and that’s how it was before the wild card ever existed.
    2. Even prospect hounds might have a little trouble identifying some of the farmhands who change teams this month.

As one AL exec put it: “I get the feeling that teams trading prospects are much less willing to trade the ones at Double-A and higher. That means teams trading for prospects are having to scout the lower levels more, and it means taking on more risk when acquiring those players. You may get more ceiling in your trades now, but the tradeoff is far less certainty.”
    4. Even if the Rays get stubborn about Price, they can still dangle Ben Zobrist.
    5. The Cubs are the other seller everyone’s watching.

And Jeff Samardzija is the other pitcher everyone’s talking about. The Cubs ace and 29-year-old right-hander currently ranks 11th in the NL in strikeout rate, at 22.9 percent, and 10th in ERA, at 2.83. Like Price, he’d be more than a rental, offering team control through 2015. Unlike Price — who’d cost just less than half of his $14 million salary this year, plus likely another $20 million via arbitration next year — Samardzija’s base salary is just $5.3 million in 2014, and will probably be about $10 million next season after arbitration. Of course, Samardzija can’t match Price’s track record of sustained dominance, and teams putting extra weight on recent results might not look favorably on the 24 runs (20 earned) and .879 OPS allowed that Samardzija has posted in his past six starts and 33 innings. What’s more, the Cubs’ asking price for Samardzija is said to be sky-high, which could dissuade some shoppers.

There might be a compelling alternative on the same team: Jason Hammel. The 31-year-old righty’s numbers compare well to Samardzija’s almost across the board, from a 4.6-to-1 strikeout-to-walk rate to a sub-3.00 ERA. Hammel pitched poorly for the Orioles last year, which is how the Cubs were able to grab him on a one-year, $6 million contract just one season after his very good (if abbreviated) 2012 campaign.

Regardless of what move or moves the Cubs make, possessing two attractive commodities like this sets up some intriguing possibilities.

“I think the Cubs will do what they did last year: trade somebody like Hammel first to set up Samardzija closer to the trade deadline,” said an NL exec, referencing last year’s trade season, when Chicago dealt Scott Feldman on July 2 and Matt Garza 20 days later.

With Hammel pitching well and eligible for free agency at season’s end, he offers a rare combination of solid performance potential and relatively low cost, which has caught several teams’ interest. Several of the front-office sources I interviewed noted the Jays’ interest in Hammel in particular.
    - Chase Headley anyone? We can fix you!?

- He lists Dexter Fowler as a player that may be traded. Not uninterested in that .377 OBP.