Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

vCash

Call overturned when Russell Martin blocks plate on force out

Eye on Baseball ‏@EyeOnBaseball 47m
    VIDEO: Call overturned because catcher Russell Martin blocks plate on force out http://cbsprt.co/1ra0W1c via @cbssports

I think MLB needs to fix the rule to allow the blocking of a plate on a force out

vCash
    Why would he need to block the plate on a force out? Seems like a perfect time to utilize the rule because there is zero reason to have your entire foot in the middle of the base

vCash
    It's official. That is the worst rule in sports. Martin had the ball in his mitt with his foot on plate before the runner slide in. By rule shouldn't the fact the runner was out before any potential plate blocking take precedent?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Cracka2HI! View Post
    It's official. That is the worst rule in sports. Martin had the ball in his mitt with his foot on plate before the runner slide in. By rule shouldn't the fact the runner was out before any potential plate blocking take precedent?
    Mesoraco was already into his slide as Martin caught the ball.

Ariana Grande

vCash
    horrible rule and even bigger bs that they need to waste 5 minutes reviewing it in a 5-0 game.
    King Remembered In Time
    New Jersey Devils/Brooklyn Nets/New York Yankees/New York Jets

12/7/12 R.I.P Off-topic-forum amigo.

Want to be President of PSD? Post here to enroll. No skills needed!
    http://forums.prosportsdaily.com/sho...ction-Nominees

vCash
    This might be the worst call there has been so far this year. Where the **** else is Martin supposed to be on this play? They better throw this garbage rule out, because this has been the 2nd or 3rd time this year this has screwed the Pirates on a call.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by WVNowitzki View Post
    This might be the worst call there has been so far this year. Where the **** else is Martin supposed to be on this play? They better throw this garbage rule out, because this has been the 2nd or 3rd time this year this has screwed the Pirates on a call.
    Not with his foot in the middle of the base.

vCash
    He was leaning back and as soon as he caught the ball for the out he tried to avoid contact. His "leg" (while standing upright) was blocking the plate? Standing on the back half of the plate would give the runner a free path to the plate but it A: makes Martin further from the guy throwing the ball, and B: doesn't make the play any more safe.

If Martin uses the back half of the plate to place his foot then the runner steps on him, isn't that blocking the plate? Wouldn't there be the same direct path to the plate in either situation as martins one foot could NOT have covered the whole front half of the plate from the runner.

Baseball games used to take 2 hours. Then with pitching changes and what not they are now almost 3 hours. Give a review or two a game and we're up to 3:10. When will the $ for commercials and vending be enough? Why not make a 7th inning stretch "half time" show for every game? That'll keep people in the seats for another 30 minutes....
    Quote Originally Posted by JustinTime View Post
    Vancouver is the best city in North America and that's not just my opinion we win awards for it all the time.
    K Love is basically TT with a shot and better passing.

vCash
    ^ Agree with you on all accounts, but I don't care about the length of games in terms of time.

But.....hitters need to stay in the box, and pitchers need to stay on the mound when a batter is at the plate.....this whole get out of the box, take on and off your gloves, take some practice swings etc is nonsense. I know the point is to disrupt a pitchers timing, but it's ridiculous.

Keeping the action of an at bat inside 2 minutes helps keep people's attention on the game.

And that's worth a lot in my opinion.

But the ruling on Martin here was ridiculous, Mesoraco had a path to the plate.

vCash
    2013: MLB forces managers to "jog" to the mound to replace pitchers. Speeding up the game is important.
    2014: MLB allows managers to walk to the mound for pitching changes and also allows replays which take between 3-6 minutes each. Speeding up the game is not important.

Far cry for 1 year.
    Vancouver is the best city in North America and that's not just my opinion we win awards for it all the time.
    K Love is basically TT with a shot and better passing.

vCash
    ^ replay isn't the problem.

It's how they do replay that is the problem

vCash
    The rule is a joke.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by SFrush90 View Post
    Mesoraco was already into his slide as Martin caught the ball.
    I understand the rule is interpreted that way. That's why I said it's officially the worst rule in sports. Maybe you like it, tho. To each their own.