Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 119 1231151101 ... LastLast
    vCash

Official Carmelo Anthony Free Agency Rumor Thread (Melo offered Max 5/129, Post#1449)

http://espn.go.com/blog/truehoop/pos...o-anthony-walk

Let Melo walk
    by Beckley Mason

Since they won 54 games in 2012-13, every attempt at improvement by the New York Knicks has backfired. They reupped with J.R. Smith, who proceeded to have the worst season of his career. They made space for Metta World Peace and Andrea Bargnani, but neither finished the season in the rotation. The only time they had a winning record in 2013-14 was when they started 1-0.

But there’s finally some good news: Carmelo Anthony intends to opt out of the remaining year of his contract, and rumors abound that he’ll skip town.

Yes, losing their best player would be welcome news for the Knicks. Should Anthony leave, the Knicks would finally be free to start over with a player good enough to carry a franchise.

Just how good is Anthony? It’s hard to find consensus. Some count him among the best in the NBA and perhaps the best one-on-one scorer in the league. He has a top-10 player efficiency rating and two Olympic gold medals. There just aren’t guys with his kind of size and strength who can handle and shoot the ball like a guard. In the right scenario, he’s deadly. With his quick, accurate release and great first step, covering him on a hard closeout is pretty much impossible. He is a monster on the offensive glass and has been one of the best scorers as a pick-and-roll ball handler for the past two years. It’s a rare combination.

Melo is one of the NBA's best, but he's still not worth a max deal.
    Others are less charitable. They see a player who dies on screens, is overeager to switch and treats defense in general like a personal inconvenience. He’s a volume scorer who traffics in volume statistics, but less so in wins, and doesn’t create a ton of opportunities for others.

What’s tough for the Knicks is that both impressions of Anthony are correct. He is not a contributor on defense, and he’s a constant mismatch for just about everyone in the league, especially when he plays on the perimeter as a power forward.

Anthony has serious game, but all the things you have to do right to maximize what he brings to a team make him tricky as a franchise centerpiece. You need multiple guys with point-guard-level passing skills to keep the ball moving. You need a lockdown defender on the perimeter to take on the toughest wings, because he’s just not very interested in those assignments. You also need a great defensive big man behind him, because to max out Anthony’s offensive capabilities, you need to play him at the power forward, which means you need extra-stout basket protection from your other frontcourt player.

Anthony is a good player to build with but not around.

Although there’s room to argue about just how good Anthony is, almost no one would claim that a player with his faults is the second-best player in the NBA. But if he reups at the max in New York, only Kobe Bryant would be more handsomely compensated.

Consider Anthony’s market value. How does $23 million sound? What about $25 million or $27 million? Because that could be his price tag at the tail end of another max deal.

Consider that Anthony just turned 30, about the age most NBA players begin to decline. He would make most when he’s worth least.

Consider whether Anthony is truly a franchise cornerstone. At the price he can command by staying in New York and reupping for a medium-term deal, the Knicks had better be sure, because these contracts cripple payrolls. He just had his best season ever, with career highs in a bunch of key scoring and rebounding metrics ... but his team won 37 games. It’s possible that his teammates were just that bad, but at his salary, one would hope for a player who guarantees a winning season in a weak Eastern Conference.

Then consider where the Knicks are as a franchise.

The Knicks' foundation is rotted; even if Anthony stays at a discounted price, they likely will want to dispose of their three other most highly paid players. If the Knicks can’t make major moves next season, there is no chance they will contend for anything other than a playoff spot.

No matter what happens next with Anthony, the Knicks will be rebuilding. There are variously expedient ways to do so, but whether you’re piling up assets or luring name free agents, it’s still called rebuilding. Phil Jackson does not have to slowly, meticulously build through the draft, but he does have to be careful about where he spends James Dolan’s money. The Knicks have almost no money on the books after the 2014-15 season. They are resetting the roster one way or another. The only question is how prudently they will do so.

Anthony’s departure would release the Knicks from the cycle of adding overpriced veterans and pretending to contend. This is the league’s richest franchise in the media capital of the world, and this is an opportunity to rebuild from the ground up. But there is less margin for error, which means that signing anyone to a huge max contract is a high-risk proposition.

It’s especially risky with Anthony because he limits the kinds of other players you should sign. Championships are won by two-way stars.

It must be acknowledged that Anthony is a star attraction, even if he’s not always a superstar player. There will be plenty of pressure to sign Anthony and retain at least one star player on the roster to drive fan interest. But the Knicks are an organization with coffers to make Scrooge McDuck blush; they aren’t going bankrupt off a down season or two.

There’s also a chance Anthony will go somewhere else and excel as a complementary piece. But that’s what he is. A wise team doesn’t make him the second-highest-paid player in the league, and a wise team doesn’t make a secondary piece its franchise cornerstone.

vCash
    Useless price of writing. Uninformed. Ignorant even.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by robdesign13 View Post
    Useless price of writing. Uninformed. Ignorant even.
    And written on the premise that Melo would be making 23-27m.

At this point, PJ has made it clear it won't be at that price. Melo at 18-20m per is fine...

vCash
    Think it might be time to merge all these Melo threads already

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Yung N Fly View Post
    Think it might be time to merge all these Melo threads already
    I think your right lol, was about to do in now.

vCash
    edit
    Last edited by Blitzace137; 06-18-2014 at 03:49 PM.

vCash
    Last edited by Blitzace137; 06-18-2014 at 03:56 PM.

vCash

The Official Carmelo Anthony Off-Season Rumor-Thread

All articles and rumors regarding Carmelo Anthony go here. Only make a new threads regarding Carmelo if it's significant. Thank You.

vCash

vCash
    NewYork_Knicks: Dwight Howard starts Carmelo-to-Rockets push - NY Post: Knicks http://t.co/fxCQyfGRAQ

Dwight Howard starts Carmelo-to-Rockets push
    By Marc Berman
    June 18, 2014 | 4:27pm

The Rockets' Dwight Howard says impending free agent Carmelo Anthony has long talked of a partnership of the superstars.

Rockets center Dwight Howard hasn’t spoken to Carmelo Anthony recently, but he has hope Anthony will take a long look at Houston when he becomes a free agent.

Howard can’t forget the time Anthony — who can opt-out of his Knicks contract and enter free agency July 1 — gave him the ultimate compliment years ago. Howard won’t be doing the recruiting, but said, “It would be great to have him.”

“I think he just wants to win right now,” Howard said in a Q & A with USA Today. “That’s his only goal. I’ve always been a Melo fan. One thing he said in an interview a long time ago, I think my first or second year in the league, I remember him saying that if he could play with one guy in the league he would play with Dwight Howard, so you never know. You never know what could happen.”

Earlier in the season, Howard talked about Anthony’s impending free agency by saying endorsements come through winning, not from being in a big market like New York City. It was his way of sending Anthony a message.

“I haven’t spoken with Melo personally,” Howard said. “I know this is a time for him when he has to really just focus on what’s going to be best for him. And I really believe that in this point in Melo’s career, he just wants to win. He’s done everything – we both have that kind of same mentality to where all the individual accolades, we’ve got them. We’ve got a gold medal, he has been in tops in scoring for a while, but those are all individual things.

“I think at this point he just wants to win, so it would be great to have him here because I know what his focus would be. It’s up to him, where he’s at in his career. But I want people on my team who are all about winning.”
    The Rockets were eliminated in the first round of the playoffs by the Trail Blazers, and general manager Daryl Morey has grand visions of opening up cap space to potentially sign Anthony. He’ll need to dispatch Omer Asik and former Knicks point guard Jeremy Lin and take on little salary in return.

The Post reported the Knicks and Rockets engaged in discussions on Asik near the trade deadline, with Iman Shumpert one of the pawns. It’s doubtful the Knicks would want to accelerate Anthony’s departure by doing a sign-and-trade with Houston.

Anthony is on record saying his decision will be based on winning titles, but it’s unclear if Houston is close to a championship in the rugged Western Conference. A recent Yahoo! Sports report said Anthony was “leaning” toward leaving New York, with Chicago and Houston atop his list. But neither club has cap space, and The Post reported the Knicks brass was satisfied with a meeting with Anthony in Los Angeles and likes their odds of retaining him.

“Right now, I don’t know, but for Melo’s sake, I just hope he goes somewhere where he feels like he has a chance to win and be successful for the next four or five years of his career,” Howard said. “I don’t know what [Anthony] is going to do, but he wants to win.”

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by stefanmusic View Post
    NewYork_Knicks: Dwight Howard starts Carmelo-to-Rockets push - NY Post: Knicks http://t.co/fxCQyfGRAQ

Dwight Howard starts Carmelo-to-Rockets push
    By Marc Berman
    June 18, 2014 | 4:27pm

The Rockets' Dwight Howard says impending free agent Carmelo Anthony has long talked of a partnership of the superstars.

Rockets center Dwight Howard hasn’t spoken to Carmelo Anthony recently, but he has hope Anthony will take a long look at Houston when he becomes a free agent.

Howard can’t forget the time Anthony — who can opt-out of his Knicks contract and enter free agency July 1 — gave him the ultimate compliment years ago. Howard won’t be doing the recruiting, but said, “It would be great to have him.”

“I think he just wants to win right now,” Howard said in a Q & A with USA Today. “That’s his only goal. I’ve always been a Melo fan. One thing he said in an interview a long time ago, I think my first or second year in the league, I remember him saying that if he could play with one guy in the league he would play with Dwight Howard, so you never know. You never know what could happen.”

Earlier in the season, Howard talked about Anthony’s impending free agency by saying endorsements come through winning, not from being in a big market like New York City. It was his way of sending Anthony a message.

“I haven’t spoken with Melo personally,” Howard said. “I know this is a time for him when he has to really just focus on what’s going to be best for him. And I really believe that in this point in Melo’s career, he just wants to win. He’s done everything – we both have that kind of same mentality to where all the individual accolades, we’ve got them. We’ve got a gold medal, he has been in tops in scoring for a while, but those are all individual things.

“I think at this point he just wants to win, so it would be great to have him here because I know what his focus would be. It’s up to him, where he’s at in his career. But I want people on my team who are all about winning.”
    The Rockets were eliminated in the first round of the playoffs by the Trail Blazers, and general manager Daryl Morey has grand visions of opening up cap space to potentially sign Anthony. He’ll need to dispatch Omer Asik and former Knicks point guard Jeremy Lin and take on little salary in return.

The Post reported the Knicks and Rockets engaged in discussions on Asik near the trade deadline, with Iman Shumpert one of the pawns. It’s doubtful the Knicks would want to accelerate Anthony’s departure by doing a sign-and-trade with Houston.

Anthony is on record saying his decision will be based on winning titles, but it’s unclear if Houston is close to a championship in the rugged Western Conference. A recent Yahoo! Sports report said Anthony was “leaning” toward leaving New York, with Chicago and Houston atop his list. But neither club has cap space, and The Post reported the Knicks brass was satisfied with a meeting with Anthony in Los Angeles and likes their odds of retaining him.

“Right now, I don’t know, but for Melo’s sake, I just hope he goes somewhere where he feels like he has a chance to win and be successful for the next four or five years of his career,” Howard said. “I don’t know what [Anthony] is going to do, but he wants to win.”
    d12 is an idiot why would he say melo always wanted to play with him not he wants to play with melo lmao if im melo im like wtf

Quote Originally Posted by Clippersfan86 View Post
    Jared Dudley>>>>>>Melo.

vCash
    If Melo leaves, I believe its between the Rockets and the Bulls..
    "..complex mane dat love simple thangs."*S.L.uggeR*

vCash
    I hope the bulls just so we can have a draft night.

vCash
    I really want the Bulls first rounders... We would be right in the mix for Shabazz Napier, Elfrid Payton, Jusuf Nurkic, etc. and with Randles recent article we could take a risk on him. We could give the younger guys the playing time and we wouldn't be that good so we could probably grab a franchise player in the 2015 Draft

We could trade the picks for a lottery pick and try to snatch up a Marcus Smart but that might be unlikely

I hope Melo chooses the Bulls for us

vCash
    If he leaves Texas is the best place for him, either Houston or Dallas.

Page 1 of 119 1231151101 ... LastLast