Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    vCash

Packers Fear Johnathan Franklin's Neck Injury Could Be Career-Threatening

As part of a larger article on Green Bay Packers players suffering through injuries of various severeties this offseason, Rob Demovsky of ESPN.com shared some revealing information on the status of second-year running back Johnathan Franklin:

Perhaps the biggest concern is about Franklin, the fourth-round pick from UCLA who finished his rookie season last year on injured reserve following a neck injury. The Packers are worried that Franklin's neck injury might be career-threatening. According to two people with knowledge of his situation, the Packers are putting Franklin through more tests to determine whether it's safe for him to continue playing.

Franklin's health status has been largely kept under wraps since being placed on I.R. following Week 7 in October of last season.

The Packers valued Franklin's skill set enough to trade up for him in last year's draft despite taking Eddie Lacy just two rounds earlier. As a smaller, shorter and shiftier back, the line of thinking is that he might be an ideal complement to the powerful Lacy.

Franklin showed how much potential he had in a Week 3 performance against Cincinnati last season when he ran for over 100 yards on just 13 carries as Lacy, James Starks and John Kuhn all sat out with injuries.

Unfortunately for Franklin, his season ended not long thereafter, also suffering a concussion on the same play as his neck injury.

Perhaps there was writing on the wall when the Packers showed their allegiance to Starks a two-year deal worth $3.25 million in the offseason.

On top of that, the Packers perhaps unexpectedly signed two successful college running backs as undrafted free agents in Rajion Neal and LaDarius Perkins.

Certainly, they're creating a high amount of competition at running back and piecing together the best roster possible, but maybe they also made such moves with a knowledge in the back of their heads that Franklin may never play again.

While the specifics of Franklin's injury go unrevealed, the Packers can hardly be blamed for erring on the side of caution with Franklin during the offseason.

There's more than a month until training camp gets underway in late July, so there's still plenty of time for Franklin to be potentially cleared.

If and when Franklin remains out in training camp, concern about his professional career will become heightened.
    http://cheeseheadtv.com/blog/report-...eesehead+TV%29

vCash
    That would be really bad. I hope Franklin will be healthy again. I never want to see this. And he still has a huge potential and I like him as a change of pace back for us.

vCash
    What if I said, who cares?

And mean it.

I mean I feel bad for the kid and it's not a "good" thing, but it could have hit worse spots. We're pretty loaded at RB and I think this is very premature.

IMO, PUP this kid and see where he's at later this year, probably just IR him and see after that. But IMO, even if that happens, the chances are he's much after that are limited.

I was hoping this wasn't the issue it had seemed, I'll still remain hopefully but in terms of being a selfish fan, it's not a huge deal.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Norm View Post
    What if I said, who cares?

And mean it.

I mean I feel bad for the kid and it's not a "good" thing, but it could have hit worse spots. We're pretty loaded at RB and I think this is very premature.

IMO, PUP this kid and see where he's at later this year, probably just IR him and see after that. But IMO, even if that happens, the chances are he's much after that are limited.

I was hoping this wasn't the issue it had seemed, I'll still remain hopefully but in terms of being a selfish fan, it's not a huge deal.
    We should be "happy" that he's a RB. We have a lot of talent and I would like to know how good the new ones are. But I'm a fan of his. And he was almost perfect against the Bengals. AT least he got a TD

There could define

vCash
    Not worried about it...not impressed with franklin...and I love Harris and Starks as backups.

Although for his sake I hope it's not career ending, that would be a shame. I wouldn't have been completely shocked if Franklin got cut this year anyways.
    the packers have so much talent...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by n8ghee View Post
    Not worried about it...not impressed with franklin...and I love Harris and Starks as backups.

Although for his sake I hope it's not career ending, that would be a shame. I wouldn't have been completely shocked if Franklin got cut this year anyways.
    This isn't terrible. PUP isn't the worst idea here.

And then IR if needed, then one more look next year. Not bad when you're loaded at RB.

vCash
    Packers players have a thing for hamstring and neck injuries that's for sure.

Sucks for him but it doesn't break my heart. IIRC i said he would be one of the "surprise" cuts.
    My Adopter Packer: Blow Job Raji

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by TheBigCheese12 View Post
    Packers players have a thing for hamstring and neck injuries that's for sure.

Sucks for him but it doesn't break my heart. IIRC i said he would be one of the "surprise" cuts.
    itSz cuz tEd alwiyz drefds the in jury playars. from collage like hareEl

vCash
    Honestly, I'd trade Cobb for Johnathan Franklin.

vCash
    Honestly, I'd trade Cobb for Johnathan Franklin.
    Cobb sux, id trade him for a box of rocks

vCash
    Cobb sux, id trade him for a box of rocks
    Cobb ****ed my mom and never called her again.

vCash
    I had no idea that injury could've been this significant. Hopefully he can come back. At least we got guys in that position.

vCash
    What I'm wondering is how much Demovsky REALLY knows.

vCash
    Cobb ****ed my mom and never called her again.
    and my little brother hasn't been able to see his daddy yet, god Cobb is horrible get rid of him TT!

vCash
    and my little brother hasn't been able to see his daddy yet, god Cobb is horrible get rid of him TT!
    First he signs a future murderer in Lyerla and now he won't cut a wife beating deadbeat like Cobb.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast