Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

vCash

Colts working out NT Brandon McKinney

McKINNEY TRYING OUT One of the clubs big UFA signings in 2012, nose tackle Brandon McKinney, is trying out.

McKinney hurt a knee (ACL) in preseason his first year, then suffered a meniscus injury last training camp. He has been working out at in Dayton, Ohio, and paid his way to attend.

Im thankful for the opportunity, said McKinney. Being on IR for the last two years, Im getting old, 30 is old in the NFL. I dont want to be forced out by injuries. You want to go out on your own terms.

Its been hard trying to convince someone you can still do it. They say getting back in (the 3-4 defense) is like riding a bike. I feel 100 percent. I need to show I can still move around, cut and play the game at a high level. If I can play the game how I know I can, be confident in my knee and ability, Ill be fine.

McKinney has played in 61 games and served as a mentor for Art Jones in Baltimore.

He was one of the older guys when I was a rookie, said Jones. Hes strong and a competitor. He pushed me to be a good player. He looks amazing. His range of motion is better than ever. He definitely can help our line. Everything we can do to build the monster helps.
    http://www.colts.com/news/article-1/...b-30682fc638b2

Hopefully he proves to be healthy because he'd be an upgrade to the DL.
    So Anna, what do you think about the notion that Russell Wilson is better than Andrew Luck?

<3
    "[He's] a really complete player... There's not really any weaknesses to his game." - Bill Belichick on Andrew Luck
    "Luck has the most diverse skill set of any NFL quarterback" - Ron Jaworski on Andrew Luck being a top 5 QB

vCash
    I'd love to see McKinney make an impact. With him the defensive line can only get stronger. If everyone lives up to their potential, the defense could greatly improve this season.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by cardinals1226 View Post
    I'd love to see McKinney make an impact. With him the defensive line can only get stronger. If everyone lives up to their potential, the defense could greatly improve this season.
    I do think our DLINE will be a major strength, still nervous about pass rush plus safety play. Werner needs to take the biggest sophomore jump... and Landry needs to prove that last year was a fluke.
    So Anna, what do you think about the notion that Russell Wilson is better than Andrew Luck?

<3
    "[He's] a really complete player... There's not really any weaknesses to his game." - Bill Belichick on Andrew Luck
    "Luck has the most diverse skill set of any NFL quarterback" - Ron Jaworski on Andrew Luck being a top 5 QB

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by sfgiants1213 View Post
    I do think our DLINE will be a major strength, still nervous about pass rush plus safety play. Werner needs to take the biggest sophomore jump... and Landry needs to prove that last year was a fluke.
    I'm really worried about Landry. He didn't come to OTAs....and while they are not mandatory, he could have used some good press and really some learning time. Landry also missed his physical so he couldn't attend his first day of mini camp. I just think we have a body builder first and football player second in him. The guy is ripped but I'm not sure he will play with any bumps or bruises.

McKinney would be a great addition to the DL....sadly I have said the same thing for 2 years running, so I hope we have another plan in place at backup NT (other than RJF) just in case.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by matthollabak View Post
    I'm really worried about Landry. He didn't come to OTAs....and while they are not mandatory, he could have used some good press and really some learning time. Landry also missed his physical so he couldn't attend his first day of mini camp. I just think we have a body builder first and football player second in him. The guy is ripped but I'm not sure he will play with any bumps or bruises.

McKinney would be a great addition to the DL....sadly I have said the same thing for 2 years running, so I hope we have another plan in place at backup NT (other than RJF) just in case.
    Pretty sure Arthur Jones would be the backup NT.

<3

vCash
    Colts sign McKinney:

The Indianapolis Colts today signed free agent nose tackle Brandon McKinney.

McKinney, 6-2, 345 pounds, has appeared in 61 career regular season games (six starts), totaling 82 tackles (42 solo), two passes defensed, one forced fumble and one fumble recovery. He also has recorded nine tackles (five solo), one pass defensed and one fumble recovery in seven postseason contests. McKinney was originally signed by the Colts as an unrestricted free agent on April 5, 2012. He spent the last two seasons (2012-13) on Injured Reserve before being released on August 7, 2013. Prior to joining the Colts, McKinney played four years (2008-2011) for the Baltimore Ravens, where he posted 45 tackles (26 solo), one forced fumble and a fumble recovery.
    http://blogs.colts.com/

Obviously was healthy enough to sign. Good news. DL with a lot of good players/depth.

<3

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by sfgiants1213 View Post
    Colts sign McKinney:

http://blogs.colts.com/

Obviously was healthy enough to sign. Good news. DL with a lot of good players/depth.
    *cough* andrew bynum

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by thaShady View Post
    *cough* andrew bynum
    Bynum hadn't went to camp with the Pacers for the past 2 years....McKinney isn't really being counted on as Chapman is our starter. Mckinney however would have been our starter the at least one of the past 2 years had he not been injured.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by thaShady View Post
    *cough* andrew bynum
    That comparison doesn't even make sense.

vCash
    I like that our DLine could potentially have Redding/Jones/McKinney... Not a bad idea to copy Baltimore.

<3

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by cardinals1226 View Post
    That comparison doesn't even make sense.
    Of course it does. It means that just because a team signs someone doesnt mean they are healthy.