Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

vCash

Does Draft Position Influence Career Achievements and/or Development?

I want to try to discuss something other than the draft so...

Do you think the position a player is drafted affects the overall outcome of his career? For example, if Kwame Brown wasn't drafted 1st overall would he have had a more productive career? Not being the first pick in the draft could've eased his transition into the NBA. I think being labelled the biggest bust in NBA history affected him mentally.

On the flip side, would Lebron was selected third instead of first, would he have developed into the 2nd best player in NBA history?

This morning I was thinking about us drafting Wiggins and a part of me decided that if we draft Wiggins, I'd rather draft him 3rd than 1st overall. I feel the pressure of being the 1st overall pick will hinder his development. On the flip side, I'd rather draft Parker 1st rather than 3rd.

Does this make any sense?

vCash
    Would Jared Sullinger have a better career if he was drafted 1st overall in 2011 instead of 21st in 2012?

vCash
    I think the answer is yes. Both what team you go to and the spot you are drafted matter.

Pressure effects people differently. Some embrace it and love the limelight. Others wilt under the pressure. Some players that feel they were snubbed use that as motivation to become great.
    Pay attention. You might learn something.

vCash
    If draft position is an excuse then the player is mentally weak. I think it has affected people, but not sure something else would not have done the same, good or bad.

However I think if Kwame was selected 20th his career would be the same exact as it was, but viewed as a success by most people.

So basically I do not think it is such a big influence on the players. But I think is has a huge impact on the way the players are viewed by the media and public

vCash
    Your spot in the draft affects the viewers (fans, media, teammates, etc) of your game, but shouldn't play any role in the way you prepare in my opinion.

If you are the #1 pick or the #60 pick your goal should be come into training camp and give 110% every day on the court. How you are perceived depends on your accomplishments vs what people expected of you, and they will expect more of you if you were a higher draft pick.

But no, I don't think it should affect your development as a player though. But has that happened before? Absolutely!