Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    vCash

Will San Antonio's win usher in a new era for the NBA?

San Antonio and Miami are the archetype of two contrasting teams and styles.

One team is the paragon of team basketball with a focus on ball movement and getting everyone involved. everyone on the team touched the ball regardless of their "role" on the team. and everyone on the team has the green light to shoot if they have a good look.

The other team is the paragon of the star-centric basketball that has became the norm in the NBA. No team in the NBA epitomizes this star-centric style of basketball than the Miami Heat. No team in the NBA utilizes this star-centric style of basketball better than the Miami Heat. Their success with this star-centric style of basketball is why they've made the NBA Finals every year for the past 4 years winning 2 of the championships. with this style of basketball, everything on the team starts and ends with the star(s). the star(s) carries all the load and "wills" his team to victories. Another team that plays this brand of basketball with notable success if the Oklahoma City Thunders. the biggest flaw with this style of basketball, a flaw that has been exposed repeatedly in the playoffs, is that if you shut down the star(s), you shut down the team. again, the most notable example of this failure is the Oklahoma City Thunders. with San Antonio's brand of team basketball...there really isn't one or two players you can focus on to shut down the team. every player contributes. the fact that everyone contributes and everyone has a chance with the ball is a big reason why Miami's defense was so helpless vs San Antonio.

my question is...will San Antonio's win usher in a new era where teams shift their focus away from a star-centric style of basketball to a more team-oriented style of basketball? especially considering that this focus on the team, rather than the star, has kept San Antonio competitive for 10+ years and have helped them beat the best star-centric team the NBA has ever seen since the Kobe/Shaq Lakers....or in the opinion of some, the best star-centric team the NBA has ever seen since MJ's Bulls.
    Last edited by FOBolous; 06-16-2014 at 01:56 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by lol, please View Post
    1. Thunder
    2. Warriors
    3. Clippers
    4. Blazers
    5. Grizzlies

I already have that scrizzguap on the Dubs winning a 'ship.
    Sincerely,
    delusional Warriors fan

Quote Originally Posted by COOLbeans View Post
    What do you do for a living because I guarantee it's not in academics or psychology?

vCash
    I still think we will see your "star-centric" basketball.

In San Antonio's glory days, Duncan was the best PF in the game, Parker is a top 3-4 PG in this league still, and Manu was one of the best pure scorers in the league. San Antonio has their stars, you cannot win in the league without them.

That being said, I don't think we will see another version of the Spurs for a while. All the talk this free agency is of stars teaming up. Its what the league has become quite honestly.

vCash
    No!!!!!

vCash
    I stopped reading after "archetype" and "paragon (x2)"

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by The Captain View Post
    I stopped reading after "archetype" and "paragon (x2)"
    ok cool guy.
    1. Thunder
    2. Warriors
    3. Clippers
    4. Blazers
    5. Grizzlies

I already have that scrizzguap on the Dubs winning a 'ship.
    Sincerely,
    delusional Warriors fan

Quote Originally Posted by COOLbeans View Post
    What do you do for a living because I guarantee it's not in academics or psychology?

vCash
    "If a Big 3 doesn't work, get a Big 4."
    -NBA Logic

vCash
    No it won't, because no other team will have the patience and longevity of the same players on the roster + pop.

If this team was in a big market, the roster would of been broken up already. Not may years ago we were talking about how the spurs were too old and couldn't compete with the new super teams. But they stuck with it, and won with there amazing chemistry.

No other team will do this. That was years and years of chemistry and basketball experience, that put together that all time great performance.

You may not see a performance like that ever again in all honesty.

Canelo with the nice 7 punch combination

vCash
    I just hope people stop obsessing over the notion that you need a "true" or "pass-first" point guard to be successful. For whatever reason I've always hated the notion that they were necessary and it always grinds my gears. I've long said "give me a team with a number of play makers and a number of unselfish passers over a team with one PG who is expected to do it all". I think there's a reason why for multiple decades now we haven't seen a team win while led by one of those "true" or "pass-first" point guards. Rondo was the closest thing, but he wasn't the player he eventually became at the time.

NBA defenses are too good these days. You gotta operate as a team and really work hard to get good looks for everyone. The Spurs just did that as well as any team in recent memory, and it should be what teams strive for. Stars run this league, but great teams still can trump them.

vCash
    I doubt it coaches like Pop are rare. To have the knowledge to coach the right way and adapt to the league or your players strengths is one thing. To be able to get a bunch of very young cocky millionaires to play for the name on the front of the jersey is another. Pop is one of the few that can do both.

vCash
    hopefully.. but it will be tough to fix what jordan ruined.

vCash
    Im sorry but I dont buy the notion that San Antonio isn't one of those star studded teams. That they play exceptional as a unit on top of being talented is why they are champions. Miami was prolly the 4th best team in the league this year IMO, they have the leagues best player , Bosh, and the corpse of Wade so they have the name power, but its obvious that Wade is no longer an elite player.
    Yo Kobe, get at me bro, we'd have a good time, man

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ManRam View Post
    I just hope people stop obsessing over the notion that you need a "true" or "pass-first" point guard to be successful. For whatever reason I've always hated the notion that they were necessary and it always grinds my gears. I've long said "give me a team with a number of play makers and a number of unselfish passers over a team with one PG who is expected to do it all". I think there's a reason why for multiple decades now we haven't seen a team win while led by one of those "true" or "pass-first" point guards. Rondo was the closest thing, but he wasn't the player he eventually became at the time.

NBA defenses are too good these days. You gotta operate as a team and really work hard to get good looks for everyone. The Spurs just did that as well as any team in recent memory, and it should be what teams strive for. Stars run this league, but great teams still can trump them.
    Winning is about what you do on both ends. Chauncey and Zeke were true PG's IMO. Both needed insane defense to win but thats because they are midgets and cant effect the game so much on that end.
    Yo Kobe, get at me bro, we'd have a good time, man

vCash
    It is really about the players that you draft or bring in who can buy into the culture. San Antonio has been doing their thing for 17 years and its not about to change. Unlike other cities who are more of the classic "star first" approach. It will not work everywhere.

Rachel Zane: You're a sneaky little boy.

vCash
    Parker is still a star
    Duncan at his age is a borderline allstar
    Manu is one of the best 6th man ever
    Sugar K is finals MVP

This team has stars so let's not act like just team oriented basketball will win chips. The rare thing about the spurs is that they have stars and use fundamental basketball and they don't rely on one to two stars to win.
    Toney the savior

@I_am_iman
    "two very winnable games"...FOH #Knickstape #mobdeep #NYKallday

vCash
    Lol, no.

That roster is once in a generation. Majority of teams who have won still had superstars.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast