Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

vCash

Mets Could Move Fences In Again

metsblog
    The Mets will revisit making changes to the outfield dimensions of Citi Field this off season, Mets GM Sandy Alderson told a select group of season-ticket holders during an on-field Q&A this past Saturday.

“As I said earlier, when we improved our outfield defense last year, we got much better in this ballpark, and so I think that was one example of how we have adapted,” Alderson explained.

However, he added, “changing the ballpark is not a panacea for not hitting with men in scoring position. It’s not going to change our rate of singles that we hit with a man at second base. So when I suggest that we look at the dimensions of the ballpark, that doesn’t mean that I think that’s the solution. It’s just part of the equation.”

This past May, Mets COO Jeff Wilpon told columnist John Harper it is unlikely the Mets further reduce Citi Field’s dimensions, but he did not completely rule it out (Daily News, May 16).

“I’m not saying we wouldn’t, but I don’t see any reason why we would,” Wilpon said.

In September, 2010, Wilpon said, while the team would consider it, they would probably keep the ballpark the same dimensions as when it opened (MetsBlog, Sept. 2010). However, a year and a half later, the organization brought the fences in as much as 18 feet (MetsBlog, April 2012).
    I'm not against moving the walls in again. Right center is still death valley and bringing it some more would still probably leave the stadium no worse than league average in OF dimensions.

Unfortunately it doesn't matter how far the walls are when you can't even make contact with the ball at the plate.
    Go Grab My Belt

vCash
    Get better players first.
    John Maeda@johnmaeda

Knowing the overall *shape* of an idea, argument, situation requires as many facts, models, opinions as you can take/make to see a whole.

vCash
    I would just straighten out the RF fence. Everything else is fine.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by YoungStuna View Post
    I would just straighten out the RF fence. Everything else is fine.
    Yup, other than right-center, the dementions are similar to Shea.

vCash
    There is no need to bring the fences in again. No one has trouble hitting in our ball park but us.

vCash
    Mets are playing better at home than in previous years, yes? Saw a stat that said Mets OFers are 3rd or 4th best in MLB in chasing down FBs greater than 350 feet. Alderson recently stated that the OF defense was one reason the team had improved at home from last year. Considering that Lagares plays a shallow CF, the ranking is something the Mets could possibly exploit more to give them a home-field advantage.
    John Maeda@johnmaeda

Knowing the overall *shape* of an idea, argument, situation requires as many facts, models, opinions as you can take/make to see a whole.

vCash
    They can move the fences 100 feet and still not score much.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr Voodoo View Post
    Yup, other than right-center, the dementions are similar to Shea.
    A metaphor?

vCash
    The dimensions are giving me dementia.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by MLB2K10King View Post
    There is no need to bring the fences in again. No one has trouble hitting in our ball park but us.
    Yes, not every ballpark has to be a homerun haven. Outfield speed is more fun to watch anyway.

vCash
    Acquiesce to your LH bats and David Wright (who has very good opposite field power) and move the fences in RCF.

vCash
    I wonder if they use the "Val-U-Pak" for coupons to move the fences in.

"You don't know how to drink. Your whole generation, you drink for the wrong reasons. My generation, we drink because it's good, because it feels better than unbuttoning your collar, because we deserve it. We drink because it's what men do."

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Dugmet View Post
    Mets are playing better at home than in previous years, yes? Saw a stat that said Mets OFers are 3rd or 4th best in MLB in chasing down FBs greater than 350 feet. Alderson recently stated that the OF defense was one reason the team had improved at home from last year. Considering that Lagares plays a shallow CF, the ranking is something the Mets could possibly exploit more to give them a home-field advantage.
    They're 16-20 at home. That might be "better," but only 3 teams in the National League have less wins than that at home. So, congratulations, here's your trophy.
    Sandy Alderson says Mets' 2014 payroll will be more than $87 million
    (11/19/2013)

Quote Originally Posted by Sandy Alderson
    Payroll is $85 million this year. It was $85 million last year.
    (05/27/14)

Quote Originally Posted by Sandy Alderson
    I don't think we're that far away.
    (6 games under .500 before June. Not that far away from what?)