Like us on Facebook


Follow us on Twitter





Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 26
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    2,843
    vCash
    1500

    How Much Longer is the Window for the San Antonio Spurs?

    After last year's NBA Finals, I thought they were done, and it time for OKC/LAC and the younger teams out west to take over the west.

    The Spurs come out, post the best regular season in the NBA, and after their 1st round match-up with Dallas which took them to 7 games, simply just dominated the rest of the competition.

    They just threw around a young Portland team which had won a tough series against Houston, they blew out OKC and took a 2-0 lead, before losing 2 straight to win 4-2, with all of their wins coming by like 15+, and then just dominated the HEAT in almost every game except games 1 and 2. Aside from the 1st quarter of Game 5, it seemed like San Antonio was never down in the series.

    My question, as currently constructed, how much longer does this Spurs team have? I keep telling myself that they are done, but I've been telling myself that since 2011 it seems like.

    Tim Duncan is the ageless wonder, Manu has stated that he wants to play again next season, Tony Parker is under contract, and their newly born finals MVP Kawahi looks ready to start a very promising career and become a quality offensive player and a dominant defensive threat.

    With Pop at the helm, I wouldn't be surprised if San Antonio was competitive, (as in championship level) competitive for another 2 years. It just seems like they have an engine with 150k miles on it, and they just keep on replacing parts and small pieces and keep that engine running brand new.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    san diego
    Posts
    5,576
    vCash
    1500
    I think next season will be the last oppurtunity. Why? I don't have a difinitive answer besides the fact that Duncan can only be a cyborg for so many years before he's no longer a top 15 player, and he will probably prove me wrong.
    My Ignore list: Naps, bucketss, iknowhoops....

    2014 Adopt a Packer
    Randall Cobb


    Receptions:
    Yards:
    Tds:

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    9,502
    vCash
    9155
    As long as pop is there it doesn't close

    I meese you Seņor Rodriguez

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    2,843
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by goingfor28 View Post
    As long as pop is there it doesn't close
    I said with this current roster though, meaning Duncan, Ginobli, Parker.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    2,843
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by jerellh528 View Post
    I think next season will be the last oppurtunity. Why? I don't have a difinitive answer besides the fact that Duncan can only be a cyborg for so many years before he's no longer a top 15 player, and he will probably prove me wrong.
    He showed signs of slowing down 2-3 years ago only to come back older and better than ever lol. Like he swam in the fountain of youth.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    9,502
    vCash
    9155
    Quote Originally Posted by Nikeman View Post
    I said with this current roster though, meaning Duncan, Ginobli, Parker.
    gotcha. w the current roster I say 2 yrs, 3 max. only bc I think pop and tim retire together in 2-3 years
    But if pop stays on for a while they'll be ok

    I meese you Seņor Rodriguez

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    4,869
    vCash
    1500
    As long as Pops is on the roster, they're a competitor. In immediate terms, at least the next 2 seasons.

    They've got some really nice up and coming players with Kawhi, Green, Mills, Diaw etc just getting better and lots in the tank left with Parker.

    As for championship contention, I actually think the Spurs will be Better next year than this year as amazing as that is to believe.

    TD and Manu shouldn't get much worse. Parker should be about the same. And you just know that Pops will perfectly manage their minutes and rest. TD doesn't rely heavily on athleticism so offensively he'll still be a beast, and defensively he'll be fine since you're not asking him to guard perimeter players.

    Leonard, Mills, Green and Baynes should all improve. Diaw and Belinelli will be more comfortable in the system.

    The West is a tough, tough place.
    J.R. Smith: "They were pretty much scoring at will. Especially my guy. I don't know what the hell I was doing on defense."

    Raymond Felton : "The play was give the ball to Melo."

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    2,151
    vCash
    10000
    Spurs are bound to lose a couple key guys to free agency. Patty Mills earned himself a nice paycheque after this season as well as Diaw so they may not be able to keep all their guys, but I think they have a legit shot at repeating next year
    Quote Originally Posted by freejimmer View Post
    Jimmer still being BLACK BALLED by the illuminati/homeboys...
    Quote Originally Posted by freejimmer View Post
    If Jimmer were to be given free reign offensively, the team would basically quit on the organization out of jealousy and envy. The white man is the minority in this game and the black players will be damned if the white man shows him up at his own game. Similar situation happening with Kevin Love, the team has to surround him with foreigners and whites because black players won't succumb to the greatness that is Kevin Love.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    1,065
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by Nikeman View Post
    He showed signs of slowing down 2-3 years ago only to come back older and better than ever lol. Like he swam in the fountain of youth.
    Yeah, I never really understood how he bounced back so well
    1. You're reading my signature.
    2. Now you're saying/thinking that's a stupid fact.
    4. You didn't notice that I skipped 3.
    5. You're checking it now.
    6. You're smiling.
    7. You're still reading my signature.
    8. You know all you have read is true.
    10. You didn't notice that i skipped 9.
    11. You're checking it now.
    12. You think this is a clever signature.
    13. You're still reading.
    14. Why are you still reading?
    15. You ignore my question.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    7,899
    vCash
    1500
    When Duncan retires

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    102
    vCash
    1500
    I can see them contending for the title next season for the last time with Duncan, Manu and Pop returning for the Spurs..I can still see them as a top team if Duncan and Manu leaves after next season with Kawhi, Parker and Pop leading the charge, they'll eventually find a big man that would replace Timmy.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    1,665
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by Nikeman View Post
    He showed signs of slowing down 2-3 years ago only to come back older and better than ever lol. Like he swam in the fountain of youth.
    Yeah, the last couple years were just crazy. Kind of went against what just about every single old guy you can think of has done in the NBA. You see it in football at times (Favre in MN), but not in the NBA.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Red Square
    Posts
    3,464
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by Nikeman View Post
    After last year's NBA Finals, I thought they were done, and it time for OKC/LAC and the younger teams out west to take over the west.

    The Spurs come out, post the best regular season in the NBA, and after their 1st round match-up with Dallas which took them to 7 games, simply just dominated the rest of the competition.

    They just threw around a young Portland team which had won a tough series against Houston, they blew out OKC and took a 2-0 lead, before losing 2 straight to win 4-2, with all of their wins coming by like 15+, and then just dominated the HEAT in almost every game except games 1 and 2. Aside from the 1st quarter of Game 5, it seemed like San Antonio was never down in the series.

    My question, as currently constructed, how much longer does this Spurs team have? I keep telling myself that they are done, but I've been telling myself that since 2011 it seems like.

    Tim Duncan is the ageless wonder, Manu has stated that he wants to play again next season, Tony Parker is under contract, and their newly born finals MVP Kawahi looks ready to start a very promising career and become a quality offensive player and a dominant defensive threat.

    With Pop at the helm, I wouldn't be surprised if San Antonio was competitive, (as in championship level) competitive for another 2 years. It just seems like they have an engine with 150k miles on it, and they just keep on replacing parts and small pieces and keep that engine running brand new.
    Lol not a good question. Ive been hearing the window closing/closed for a number of years now and look where they at?

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    20,728
    vCash
    2500
    5 years ago, I would have said a year....now, I believe that as long as they have Pop, they will compete.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    South Dakota
    Posts
    3,513
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by chitownbulls View Post
    Yeah, I never really understood how he bounced back so well
    I could be wrong, but I think if you look at his personal situation that year, you'll see that more than age effected his play.

    So, what if Timmy decides this WAS his last year?
    gotta love 'referential' treatment

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •