0 0%
  • Lou Gehrig

0 0%
  • Other - Please specifiy

1 2.17%
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
    vCash

PSD's Top 50 Players of all time list

JordansBulls did this a few years ago in the NBA section, and I thought it would be fun to do here in the MLB section for MLB players.

We have so many debates about the greatest of all time and how eras transcend etc. Why don't we make it official?

I am going to do two separate lists, one for pitchers, and one for hitters. Hitters are up first, and we'll start by doing the top 10, and if the momentum remains, we'll extend beyond that.

RULES:
    There will be a zero tolerance, one strike policy. If ANY poster is interrupting any of the threads in a negative way, OR causing any problems they're ability to vote will be taken away.
    NO POSTING in your FORUM, VOTE for this GUY. We had problems last time with it and NO POSTING in someone Else's Forum to VOTE for a certain player.

Criteria: Take into account both peak and career play, era dominance, impact on the game of baseball, and how well their style of play and skills would transcend onto different eras. Statistical values, team values, etc all matter. To be more exact, how great they were at playing the game of baseball.

So while this thread will be a poll, you vote for one player and then Nominate someone who is not on the list that way as the guys in the original list are selected we know who to add on the subsequent list.

For example:

If for #1 you vote Ruth, obviously we will see it in the poll, but don't just vote please, have discussion and include a nomination for who you think should be added to the next ranking on the poll.

For me I might vote Ruth #1, and then say Nominate: Rogers Hornsby to be on the next poll for the #2 player.
    Last edited by Jeffy25; 06-15-2014 at 02:40 PM.

vCash
    vote:ruth
    nominate: wagner

vCash
    Bonds for me. Ruth dominated his era a bit more than Barry did, but I just think Ruth is slightly more a product of his era.

Ruth was an amazing player, obviously, but faced some really awful competition compared to players who came after him and it is well known that he was a glutton and not a hard worker. That, to me, suggests that in an era with tougher competition, I am not sure Ruth excels the same way.

For me, those two are very close, but I have to give it to the player facing 90+mph fastballs, pitchers with 4 different pitches, in an integrated, global sport with talent pulled from every available pool.

vCash
    I went with Bonds, for similar reasons as WK. I think the era did more for Ruth than even steroid use may have done for Bonds.

I'll second Hornsby for the next list.
    You have no idea how excited I am right now.

vCash
    Have to go with Bonds, although the PEDs make me wonder how much of his career is artificially inflated. Next would be Willie Mays or Ruth. I switch back and forth between them both because Mays faced harder competition in an integrated league and was the better overall player imo but Ruth's bat was just straight out insane.

I know this is a MLB list but it would be hard not for me to include Josh Gibson as well. The Negro leagues were arguably just as good as anything MLB was producing at the time.
    Last edited by metswon69; 06-19-2014 at 08:23 PM.

vCash
    I'd really like to go with Bonds because I think he was truly one of the greatest players of all times but all that PED **** just gets in the way. Now, I'm not saying he for sure did them, just can't give the #1 spot to him for it.

I'll give that spot to Willie Mays; man had speed and a whole lot of power. I think I saw a stat that 10% of his PA were against Hall of Fame pitchers, take that for what it is, he faced great competition and put up some awesome numbers.

Another stat:

Bonds through age 35: 116.1 WAR
    Mays through age 35: 127.0 WAR
    2014 Adopt-A-Lion

Total Tackles: 1

Assists: 3

Sacks: 0

Force Fumbles: 0

vCash
    My vote goes Ruth. It was really close between Mays and Ruth. I love Willie Mays as a CF that absolutely mashed. I know the whole era thing is there, but its hard to really compare. I give the edge to Ruth. A little bit better hitting, and the fact that he pitched some in the beginning of his career is impressive. Bonds and Williams also got some consideration here.

Nominate Mantle.

vCash
    Voted for Ty Cobb. Best baseball player ever.
    Nominate Honus Wagner. In my opinion one of the most underrated players of all time.

vCash
    Trout

PSD's 2011 Diva's Champion

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by nessythegreat View Post
    Voted for Ty Cobb. Best baseball player ever.
    Nominate Honus Wagner. In my opinion one of the most underrated players of all time.
    Why Cobb?
    You have no idea how excited I am right now.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jej View Post
    Why Cobb?
    He could do everything. And he was pretty much the best at everything he did. And he possibly had the greatest baseball mind ever as well. He is truly the best in my opinion.

vCash
    I think any of Ruth, Mays, or Aaron are defensible answers. The next tier, IMO, also have arguments that are just not quite as strong (Cobb, Williams, Mantle, Bonds). They are in the 2nd tier because they are flawed in some major way. But between those 7 I believe you have your best position players of all time.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by flea View Post
    I think any of Ruth, Mays, or Aaron are defensible answers. The next tier, IMO, also have arguments that are just not quite as strong (Cobb, Williams, Mantle, Bonds). They are in the 2nd tier because they are flawed in some major way. But between those 7 I believe you have your best position players of all time.
    Even though I'm a Cards fan.....your lack of Musial mention is disturbing

He belongs in any group that has Mantle in it.

vCash
    1) Ruth
    2) Wagner - how is he not on this list?
    Donít argue with idiots because they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience. óGreg King

vCash
    Voted for Ruth

Nominate Jimmie Foxx

Edit-Ehh, maybe I should've voted for Mays for his all around play. I can't change my vote in the poll, though.
    Last edited by LordJohn; 06-17-2014 at 11:33 AM.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast