Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast
    vCash

Cubs VS Phillies (6/13-6/15)

Compliments of Brett at BN.

http://www.bleachernation.com/2014/06/13/series-preview-cubs-v-phillies-june-13-june-15-2014/

The Cubs couldn’t quite make it happen in Pittsburgh, leaving worse off then when they arrived (insert Pittsburgh joke). And now it’s further east to Philadelphia, with a presumptive stop in Hershey for some sweets.

Oh, and something something Ryne Sandberg.

We’re Going Streaking

The Cubs*lost three of four to the Pirates, knocking them back down among the dregs of the league. But for the Rays, the Cubs would once again have the worst record in the league.

The*Phillies aren’t much better – they lost 8 of 9 (before sweeping the Padres) to fall to just two games better than the Cubs. That’s right: if the Phillies let the Cubs sweep ‘em, they’ll be the proud holders of a $160 million worst record in the NL.

Game Times and Broadcasts

Friday, June 13 at 6:05 CT on WGN.
    Saturday, June 14 at 2:05 CT on CSN.
    Sunday, June 15 at 12:35 CT on WGN.
    Expected Starters and Lineups

These lineups are likely to be pretty close to what actually gets fielded, but you’ll want to check each day’s Pre-Gamin’ post for the actual lineup.

Cubs

Starters: Jake Arrieta (2.50 ERA, 2.58 FIP; 2.69 K/BB), Edwin Jackson (4.70 ERA, 3.54 FIP; 2.35 K/BB), Travis Wood (4.95 ERA, 4.09 FIP; 2.25 K/BB)

Lineup (some guesswork here):

Junior Lake, LF
    Luis Valbuena, 3B
    Anthony Rizzo, 1B
    Starlin Castro, SS
    Nate Schierholtz, RF
    Ryan Sweeney, CF
    John Baker, C
    Darwin Barney, 2B
    Pitcher

Phillies

Starters: Roberto Hernandez (4.35 ERA, 4.71 FIP; 1.53 K/BB), David Buchanan*(6.08 ERA, 4.56 FIP; 4.00 K/BB), A.J. Burnett (4.24 ERA, 4.36 FIP; 1.63 K/BB)

Lineup:

Ben Revere, CF
    Jimmy Rollins, SS
    Chase Utley, 2B
    Ryan Howard, 1B
    Marlon Byrd, RF
    Carlos Ruiz, C
    Domonic Brown, LF
    Reid Brignac, 3B
    Pitcher
    Hot or Not and Whom to Watch

The Cubs don’t have a lot of hot streaks going on right now outside of Luis Valbuena.

At least Jake Arrieta continues to look good, and maybe Edwin Jackson will put together a dominant start because I feel like it.

Ryan Sweeney could make his return to the big league team in this series, after a hamstring injury cost him more than a month of action.

After a surprisingly warm April, Ryan Howard is back to doing Ryan Howard things:*.225/.288/.373. No worries, Phillies – Howard is under contract for just two more years and $60 million.

In all, though, the Phillies still have some productive hitters – all of Chase Utley, Jimmy Rollins, Carlos Ruiz, and Marlin Byrd sport wRC+’s*over 110. It’s just that, well, they’re also all over 35.

Domonic Brown sure hasn’t had much success outside of that one awesome month last year. Since the start of July 2013, Brown is hitting just*.239/.294/.360 with a .286 wOBA and a 78 wRC+.
    Javylujah... Javylujah... Javylujah

vCash

Go Cubs

vCash

My brain really wants Arrieta to be good for some reason. He looks the part, his pitches move...

I mean, I want all cubs pitchers to do good, but I like Arrieta for some irrational reason.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by weneedpitching View Post
    My brain really wants Arrieta to be good for some reason. He looks the part, his pitches move...

I mean, I want all cubs pitchers to do good, but I like Arrieta for some irrational reason.
    Castro goes boom...folks still think he should be traded??
    BUTTERFLIES AND RAINBOWS!!!!! JP611 Just called me an ecstasy user!!!! WTF!!!

Welcome Tyler Kolek or Brady Aiken or Carlos Rodon if not one of them say hello To Alex Jackson.

vCash
    Castro with the blastro

Tearing down Utopia, one brick at a time.

vCash
    Castro flashing some leather.

Nice game for him so far.

vCash
    Man I forgot how much fun Rollins was to watch.

2007 20 3B's, 30HR's, 38 2B's, 41 SB's and only 6 CS. Kinda shocked that only equated to a 6 win season which is still great.

vCash
    Looked intentional to me

vCash
    He had 20 triples? Wow

vCash
    IDK that was a tough one to call. Castro didn't show him up or anything unless he is just a hot head in general. He also looked super pissed that one got away from him.

Then again it was first pitch and right at the sweet spot if you look to plunk a guy and not kill them.

vCash
    Arrieta is hilarious between pitches. He is constantly stretching something or tugging part of his jeresy.

And then. He made them pancakes.

vCash
    God damn that is a awesome hammer curveball.

Miss watching guys with a dominated sweeping curve.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by northsider View Post
    IDK that was a tough one to call. Castro didn't show him up or anything unless he is just a hot head in general. He also looked super pissed that one got away from him.

Then again it was first pitch and right at the sweet spot if you look to plunk a guy and not kill them.
    Wasn't on purpose I think.
    BUTTERFLIES AND RAINBOWS!!!!! JP611 Just called me an ecstasy user!!!! WTF!!!

Welcome Tyler Kolek or Brady Aiken or Carlos Rodon if not one of them say hello To Alex Jackson.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by northsider View Post
    God damn that is a awesome hammer curveball.

Miss watching guys with a dominated sweeping curve.
    In general his curve is only OK though. I do think that a great curve is the prettiest pitch in baseball though. Remember when Zito had the 6 foot moving SOB in the early 2000's?

And then. He made them pancakes.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Doogolas View Post
    In general his curve is only OK though. I do think that a great curve is the prettiest pitch in baseball though. Remember when Zito had the 6 foot moving SOB in the early 2000's?
    Zito was ridiculous. Hell even Lilly could drop a big 12-6 on guys. Rich Hill had a decent curve IIRC.

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast