Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    vCash

NBA Fans in Pittsburgh

Pittsburgh is a great sports town but without the NBA who do the fans root for?

A little Lakers, a little Heat, but mainly no team in particular.

New York Times map of NBA fan support below..

http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2...40.458,-80.000

Sorry Cavaliers, you didn't even register anywhere near the city

vCash
    People clearly don't care about this thread....almost as much as people don't care about the NBA here in Pittsburgh. It's sad. The biggest complaint I have living here. In college there were a decent amount of people that cared for the NBA, but most weren't locals. Since then it's hard to find NBA fans. There's really only one person at work (lots of candidates) that is able to talk NBA with me. The thing is, he asked me the other day if LeBron had won a ring yet in Miami. So, yeah....

Last year when the Heat closed out the Pacers we had to go to 3 bars before finding one that had the game on. That's just absurd. It's like the league doesn't exist here.

As for fandom, I don't know. Probably the most generally popular teams, like you said. Lakers and Heat most obviously. I knew a few Pistons and Celtics fans. Lots of Cleveland transplants here too, so a good deal of Cavs fans too. And obviously the Philly contingent here (big in college) bring a 76ers vibe to the city too.

vCash
    This is a pretty cool map. Interesting to see who likes who. Before the Heat got James, I wonder who the other team outside of LAL would have been. I'd guess more would have liked the Cavs for sure.
    Maybe Boston since they had the original(ish) big three.

vCash
    Yeah I thought it was a pretty cool map.

Bet you if they made Sonics an option Seattle wouldn't be 23% Lakers fans....

vCash
    All the purple on that map makes me sick.

vCash
    Damn, Pitt showing us love

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by b_russ View Post
    All the purple on that map makes me sick.
    Why it's ironic whenever Lakers fans bash others (mainly Heat fans recently). I don't doubt that many here have been Lakers fans for a long time, but the only reason half this country loves them so much is because they've long been great. The only reason anyone living in North Dakota is a Lakers fan is because of how good they are. Period. People don't randomly root for bad teams...they randomly hop on teams like LAL's bandwagon and ride it as long as they can.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ManRam View Post
    Why it's ironic whenever Lakers fans bash others (mainly Heat fans recently). I don't doubt that many here have been Lakers fans for a long time, but the only reason half this country loves them so much is because they've long been great. The only reason anyone living in North Dakota is a Lakers fan is because of how good they are. Period. People don't randomly root for bad teams...they randomly hop on teams like LAL's bandwagon and ride it as long as they can.
    I hear you. Still doesn't make me feel any better. That's what awesome when you find a fan that may not be on the local team bandwagon and root for a team other than the defaults (Lakers, Yankees, Cowboys, ect.) Being a Jazz fan in Utah, it's refreshing to find a (for example) Wolves fan or a Raptors fan instead of the same old same old.

vCash
    It seems like a mix of everything to me.....I know a lot of Heat, and Laker fans which always makes being a Celtic fan difficult. Good thing is my dad is also a huge Celtic fan so I have someone to grab a beer with and watch a nationally televised game. I actually know a Milwaukee buck fan too which is a pretty rare find.

vCash
    The Heat is a good choice.

vCash
    Sad, all my fellow Pittsburgh fans bandwagon cheering for the Heat and Lakers mainly? *Vomit. Go Mavs.

vCash
    There is one tiny blerp of blue in Rochester ny, I may be the only magic fan in the non nyc part of ny

vCash
    I wonder what part of the map has the highest percentage of liking a team. I see a spot in Oklahoma that has the Thunder as 75%, does anyone see anything higher?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ManRam View Post
    People clearly don't care about this thread....almost as much as people don't care about the NBA here in Pittsburgh. It's sad. The biggest complaint I have living here. In college there were a decent amount of people that cared for the NBA, but most weren't locals. Since then it's hard to find NBA fans. There's really only one person at work (lots of candidates) that is able to talk NBA with me. The thing is, he asked me the other day if LeBron had won a ring yet in Miami. So, yeah....

Last year when the Heat closed out the Pacers we had to go to 3 bars before finding one that had the game on. That's just absurd. It's like the league doesn't exist here.

As for fandom, I don't know. Probably the most generally popular teams, like you said. Lakers and Heat most obviously. I knew a few Pistons and Celtics fans. Lots of Cleveland transplants here too, so a good deal of Cavs fans too. And obviously the Philly contingent here (big in college) bring a 76ers vibe to the city too.
    No offense but where in the city do you live? I know tons of huge fans of the NBA in pittsburgh. Granted many are bandwagon heat fans or follow popular players but the league is definitely popular in Pittsburgh at least with people I know and in my age group.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jrm2054 View Post
    No offense but where in the city do you live? I know tons of huge fans of the NBA in pittsburgh. Granted many are bandwagon heat fans or follow popular players but the league is definitely popular in Pittsburgh at least with people I know and in my age group.
    I've lived on campus, in the south side for 4 years and now in Shadyside. So, kinda spread around.

It might just be my personal experience, but the NBA is a distant 3rd to the NFL and NHL...and by abnormal margins. I've met far more baseball fans, even considering how bad the Pirates have been, as well. Of my 5 best male friends, only one would willingly ever watch basketball with me...and he's a Cavs fan and refuses to watch the Heat. It's not a lot of fun.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast