Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    vCash

Reports: Spurs to hire Ettore Messina as assistant coach

By James Herbert | NBA writer
    June 10, 2014 6:12 pm ET

CSKA Moscow head coach Ettore Messina will join Gregg Popovich's staff with the San Antonio Spurs after this season ends, as first reported by Corriere di Bologna's Daniele Labanti and confirmed by Sportando.

Messina served as an assistant coach with the Los Angeles Lakers under Mike Brown in 2011-2012. The Atlanta Hawks reportedly considered him for their head-coaching vacancy last year before settling on Mike Budenholzer, who was Popovich's lead assistant at the time. The Spurs tried to hire Messina last year, according to ESPN's Marc Stein, who also reported that there was talk that new Utah Jazz head coach Quin Snyder would try to add Messina to his staff.

Having coached Real Madrid, Benetton Treviso, Virtus Bologna and Italy's national team, Messina has quite a resume. He's long been talked about as a potentially historic hire as an NBA head coach, and that could still happen in the future. He has a great reputation for his offensive mind -- in that respect, this will be a case of the rich getting richer in San Antonio.
    http://www.cbssports.com/nba/eye-on-...ssistant-coach

vCash
    People think this could be Pop's replacement when he walks away. This is a really nice move. He spent some time with Pop/Spurs a couple years ago in the Summer so he has some familiarity. Also, Manu played for him in the early 2000's, though I'm sure Manu will be gone (at least as a player) in a few years.

He's regarded as one the best if not the best, coaches in Europe.

vCash
    Interesting move,maybe he'll be Pop's successor? If yes I would be so happy for him!

vCash

Perfect fit. NBAs greatest coach meets Europe's greatest coach.

vCash

No brainer. Spurs get an eventual replacement for pops

Grizz: Titans: UK BBall: APSU BBall:
    - MJ-BULLS

vCash
    As the article says, the rich get richer. Great hire.

vCash
    Didn't do much for the Lakers, spent most of his time drooling over how athletic NBA guys are.

vCash
    He should've been a head coach a long time ago.

That's just unfair too. 2 of the best teaming up. I hope they get booed because of it so there is some consistency. You never saw Pat Riley and Phil Jackson teaming up.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Raps08-09 Champ View Post
    He should've been a head coach a long time ago.

That's just unfair too. 2 of the best teaming up. I hope they get booed because of it so there is some consistency. You never saw Pat Riley and Phil Jackson teaming up.
    Now all we need is Jerry Sloan or Jeff Van Gundy to return for coaching and host "The Decision" where at the end they are asked "so Sloan/Jeff, what is your decision?". Sloan/Jeff respond "phew...ah man this is tough. I decided that I will take my talents to Southern Texas, and join the San Antonio Spurs".

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Crunch Time View Post
    Didn't do much for the Lakers, spent most of his time drooling over how athletic NBA guys are.
    Yes,but Brown was the coach. And I bet that idiot didn't take any advice from Messina.Hell,that year Messina could have done better than him if he was the coach.

vCash

Spurs hire Ettore Messina as assistant coach, Sean Marks back to front office

Adrian Wojnarowski ‏@WojYahooNBA 12m
    More
    Spurs have hired European legend Ettore Messina as an assistant coach, team says.

Adrian Wojnarowski ‏@WojYahooNBA 11m
    More
    Spurs assistant, Sean Marks, will return to the front office, league source tells Yahoo Sports.

Adrian Wojnarowski ‏@WojYahooNBA 10m
    More
    Marks moved down to the bench to help Gregg Popovich this season, but plan was always to return upstairs. Spurs have big plans for Marks.

I'M BAAAAAAACCCCCKKKKKKK!!!!

vCash
    Looks like it's official now

The San Antonio Spurs today announced that they have hired Etorre Messina as an assistant coach. A four-time Euroleague Champion and a two-time Euroleague Coach of the Year, Messina brings over 25 years of coaching experience to the bench.

"I am honored to have such an accomplished individual join our program,” Spurs head coach Gregg Popovich said. “Coach Messina is an exceptional coach, a great leader and someone we can all learn from."
    http://www.nba.com/spurs/news/140715...sina_assistant

vCash
    This could be Pop's eventual replacement on the bench. At some point I expect Pop to move back to working strictly in the front office (likely after the deal he just signed).

vCash
    Their next head coach? I think so.

vCash

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast