Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

View Poll Results: What should Danny do?

Voters
11. You may not vote on this poll
  • Wait for 2015

6 54.55%
  • Go big this summer

5 45.45%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    vCash

2014 offseason: tread water or make a splash?

Hey guys,

I've written up two scenarios for the Celtics this summer. One where they tread water, add non-crippling contracts so as not to hurt our flexibility down the stretch, only to "go big" in 2015, and one about "making fireworks" this summer.

What should they do?

Tread water for one more year or make a splash?

Really interested what you guys have to say!

"My bro DitchDat writes about the Celtics and the NBA over at http://www.randomandsome.com/ -- go check it out. Buckets!"

vCash
    I really feel that they either have to trade for Love this summer or trade Rondo. Either continue the rebuild, or try to become a contender in the East.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by DitchDat View Post
    Hey guys,

I've written up two scenarios for the Celtics this summer. One where they tread water, add non-crippling contracts so as not to hurt our flexibility down the stretch, only to "go big" in 2015, and one about "making fireworks" this summer.

What should they do?

Tread water for one more year or make a splash?

Really interested what you guys have to say!
    Good job. I think there's way too much movement in the "splashy" offseason scenario though, but I like it a lot more than treading water.

Concerning the Love deal, I think the #17 pick would have to be included, so 4 first rounders might be required to get something done. Ariza is a free agent, so I don't know if Washington would sign and trade him when they can just re-sign him. If they do it, then hey great. Doubt Wallace would be taken back by Utah too, but Green would be a good return for them I think, or just keep Green or sign Hayward outright after dealing Green somewhere else. Lastly, a draft pick might be required to get Asik, don't think Houston would just give him away even though they want to shed his salary. Maybe send them the Philly 2017 pick (likely two 2nd rounders).

So I guess what I'm getting at is....

Green, Bogans, Sullinger, #6, #17 and 1 or 2 future picks for Love.

Sign Gordon Hayward outright.

Your Afflalo deal (Aflalo for Bass and Bayless).

Philly 2017 pick (likely two 2nd rounders) and PP trade exception for Asik.

Pick up Pressey and Chris Johnson options, decline the other non-guaranteed deals. Let Bradley walk if you have Afflalo. Sign Thabo Sefolosha (poor man's version of Ariza, can be signed at much lower price as a FA, no need to make another trade). Stretch Wallace. Sign Pierce to one year deal using MLE.

Rondo, Pressey
    Afflalo, Sefolosha, Johnson
    Hayward, Pierce
    Love, Olynyk
    Asik, Faverani, Iverson, Anthony

I like it.
    Last edited by BostonSports96; 06-10-2014 at 10:37 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BostonSports96 View Post
    Good job. I think there's way too much movement in the "splashy" offseason scenario though, but I like it a lot more than treading water.

Concerning the Love deal, I think the #17 pick would have to be included, so 4 first rounders might be required to get something done. Ariza is a free agent, so I don't know if Washington would sign and trade him when they can just re-sign him. If they do it, then hey great. Doubt Wallace would be taken back by Utah too, but Green would be a good return for them I think, or just keep Green or sign Hayward outright after dealing Green somewhere else. Lastly, a draft pick might be required to get Asik, don't think Houston would just give him away even though they want to shed his salary. Maybe send them the Philly 2017 pick (likely two 2nd rounders).

So I guess what I'm getting at is....

Green, Bogans, Sullinger, #6, #17 and 1 or 2 future picks for Love.

Sign Gordon Hayward outright.

Your Afflalo deal (Aflalo for Bass and Bayless).

Philly 2017 pick (likely two 2nd rounders) and PP trade exception for Asik.

Pick up Pressey and Chris Johnson options, decline the other non-guaranteed deals. Let Bradley walk if you have Afflalo. Sign Thabo Sefolosha (poor man's version of Ariza, can be signed at much lower price as a FA, no need to make another trade). Stretch Wallace. Sign Pierce to one year deal using MLE.

Rondo, Pressey
    Afflalo, Sefolosha, Johnson
    Hayward, Pierce
    Love, Olynyk
    Asik, Faverani, Iverson, Anthony

I like it.
    Yeah, I know, there were a lot of moving pieces in that scenario. And I thought Ariza had 1 more year on his deal, but you're right: he is indeed a free agent.

I like your trades! I guess Love, Asik, Hayward and Afflalo are names to look out for. They keep popping up again and again :-)

"My bro DitchDat writes about the Celtics and the NBA over at http://www.randomandsome.com/ -- go check it out. Buckets!"

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by B'sCeltsPatsSox View Post
    I really feel that they either have to trade for Love this summer or trade Rondo. Either continue the rebuild, or try to become a contender in the East.
    What would you want in return for Rondo?

vCash
    I'd like to make a small splash.

Trade the PPexp and Bass for Asik.

Resign Bradley n Bayless(don't over pay either)

Sign Okafor.

Draft Exum/Stauskas and TJ Warren.

Rondo/Bayless/Pressey
    Bradley/Exum or Stauskas
    Asik/Okafor/Favs or Iverson
    Sully/Klynyk
    Green/Warren/Wallace

Give us another year to see what we got here-Full season of Rondo, See what Green does, Another year development of Sully and Klynyk, an Actual Center which I think helps the team ALOT!

I think that team wins more than this year, see where we are at this time next season.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by CELTICS4LYFE View Post
    I'd like to make a small splash.

Trade the PPexp and Bass for Asik.

Resign Bradley n Bayless(don't over pay either)

Sign Okafor.

Draft Exum/Stauskas and TJ Warren.

Rondo/Bayless/Pressey
    Bradley/Exum or Stauskas
    Asik/Okafor/Favs or Iverson
    Sully/Klynyk
    Green/Warren/Wallace

Give us another year to see what we got here-Full season of Rondo, See what Green does, Another year development of Sully and Klynyk, an Actual Center which I think helps the team ALOT!

I think that team wins more than this year, see where we are at this time next season.
    I like this offseason if we don't trade for Love. I would also still try to get Afflalo (one writer suggested Bass and #6 for Afflalo and #12) along with Asik, partly because I don't want to overpay for Bradley and want a 3-point sniper.

Rondo, Bayless, Pressey
    Afflalo, Stauskas
    Green, Warren, Wallace
    Sully, Olynyk
    Asik, Faverani, Anthony, Iverson

vCash
    I'd be fine with picks and expiring contracts.

vCash
    Agree with this 100%. Either try to contend or just blow it up completely. No half *** 8 seed treadmill please.

Chicago Bears Mock Offseason Champion

vCash
    I'd be fine with picks and expiring contracts.
    Unfortunately Rondo put the C's in a corner with his recent extension talk... IMO the only teams he'll be interested in signing an extension are LA, NY and Houston... He seems to like the glitz, glamor and Superman...
    "I've never been scared of contact. Now I get to bring it, that's what I love to do, so I'm going to bring it."

Reggie Lewis

GET OFF YOUR HEELS BILL !!!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Forever35 View Post
    Unfortunately Rondo put the C's in a corner with his recent extension talk... IMO the only teams he'll be interested in signing an extension are LA, NY and Houston... He seems to like the glitz, glamor and Superman...
    Rondo would be much better than Nash, but Lakers don't have much to offer these days. They should've given Gasol to Boston a long time ago.

Who the best in the league? You tell me...
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zFEnNB4aSRs

vCash
    Unless the Lakers are giving up #7, they cant even sniff Rondo.

vCash
    Here is how I make a splash:

Trade the Avery Bradley via S&T along with 6 pick, Gerald Wallace and two future 1st rounders and Sullinger and trade exception to Minney for Kevin Love and Kevin Martin.

Trade Jeff Green and Bass to Houston for Omer Asik.

Have Melo opt out and sign with us for 4 years 60 million give or take a few million.

Resign Kris Humphries

Pick up options for Chris Johnson and Phil Pressey

Draft TJ Warren with the 17th pick.

Resign Paul Pierce to be the captain of this "new" team! 2 years for 3 million per(MMLE)

I think Paul would be willing to come back here in the right situation but maybe we quietly promise him a cushy front office position etc...to seal the deal!

Rondo/Pressey
    Kevin Martin/Pierce
    Melo/Chris Johnson/TJ Warren
    Kevin Love/Humphries
    Omer Asik/Favarani
    El Presidente

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BostonSports96 View Post
    I like this offseason if we don't trade for Love. I would also still try to get Afflalo (one writer suggested Bass and #6 for Afflalo and #12) along with Asik, partly because I don't want to overpay for Bradley and want a 3-point sniper.

Rondo, Bayless, Pressey
    Afflalo, Stauskas
    Green, Warren, Wallace
    Sully, Olynyk
    Asik, Faverani, Anthony, Iverson
    If we dont trade for Love, there is no reason to keep rondo. Rondo is either going to stay because we moved parts this offseason to become a contender. If we are on another 25-57 team next season he is going to walk and not be apart of this rebuild, nor should he be due to his age by the time we are out of the rebuild.
    Boston Sports!!

Celtics need to stay the course, rebuild and trade Rondo.

vCash
    Two top 14 protected picks is roughly what I view him worth. Might get a little more for him if its a bidding contest.
    Boston Sports!!

Celtics need to stay the course, rebuild and trade Rondo.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast