Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    vCash

Chris Bosh getting high praise these days

ESPN has a video devoted to his defense and a pretty lengthy article on his transformation. I focused on the 20-10 snippets, he brings up a few players.

http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/11...ion-chris-bosh
    For years, Bosh cared deeply about two numbers: 20 and 10.

Twenty points and 10 rebounds -- the barometer for being an elite big man.

"20 and 10, 20 and 10," Bosh says. "People make a big deal about it and nothing happens. They talk about all the 20-and-10 guys, and I say this with all due respect, but when it's time to play for a championship, they'll forget about you."

Now Bosh cares about two different numbers.

"Efficiency and plus-minus," he says. "Everything else, I don't care."
    Bosh wasn't always on board with it. Shane Battier, his stat-savvy teammate, pulled him aside one practice last season and showed him that taking one step back from Bosh's hot spot in the midrange could add more efficiency.

"He struggled with the spacing early on, because the footwork and the feel of the game is different," Battier says. "But he got the math. There are only a few players in the league that can understand the math behind it and trust the numbers. He's one of them."
    At 30 years old, Bosh takes the time to look around the league. He sees younger versions of himself. The 20-and-10 guys. He brings up Minnesota Timberwolves star Kevin Love, who has never made it to the playoffs despite eye-popping numbers. He sympathizes with Love's situation. Because it was his situation in Toronto.

"Twenty and 10 is easy, I think," Bosh says. "You give me enough shots, I'll average 20. You give me a particular system where I stick close to the basket, I'll average 10 rebounds. But it's different here. We're competing for a championship, and that's what it's all about."

Bosh brings up another 20-and-10 guy, LaMarcus Aldridge. Both Texas-grown basketball prodigies with similar reserved personalities, Bosh considers the 28-year-old Aldridge a good friend.

"I've wanted him for years, just straight up," Bosh says. "But I haven't gotten it yet. Because, you know, they have him conserving his energy for offense."

IS BOSH AN ELITE DEFENDER?
    Bosh used to not care about defense. But the Heat staff had seen flashes of defensive brilliance from Bosh during his time with Team USA. He put his 7-foot-4 wingspan to good use and showed a keen ability to be in the right spot at the right time. Upon arrival in Miami, Bosh dedicated his time to learning the intricacies of Spoelstra's defense.

Nowadays, opposing coaches often talk about him as one of the best defenders in the NBA. They have to cope with his agility. This past season, Synergy Sports data ranked him as the single best pick-and-roll defender in the NBA, holding big-man opponents to just 0.53 points per play. In his final season in Toronto, few were worse. He ranked in the bottom 20 percent of the league in the same category.
    To check out the vid alone:
    http://espn.go.com/blog/truehoop/pos...is-bosh-effect
    Yo Kobe, get at me bro, we'd have a good time, man

vCash
    I always say that I don't like the Heat, I just like LeBron (and Shard). But man, why not like Bosh too? The guy doesn't take himself seriously. He's a goof. The guy loves to have fun (off the court). He's incredibly bright. He doesn't have a big ego, at all. He's refreshing really. By all accounts he just seems like an awesome guy. Aside from him being on the Heat and all that jazz, there's no good reason to dislike the guy.

And on the court? Definitely has become underappreciated. Sometimes I think it was more or less deserved, but for the most part he does what the team needs him to do. His growth with the Heat, after accepting the sacrifice it entailed, has been pretty darn fun to watch. Read the entirety of that article this morning...definitely an illuminating read. Really well-done.

And his view on statistics and what actually really matters is, again, refreshing. Seems like a coaches dream.

vCash
    I have been conflicted on Bosh. But Ive always known he is an all-star talent. I put more of the blame on the coaching/system in place not using him correctly and taking advantage of his strengths. I feel that running more plays specifically for him would help him and the team. The last play in game two where he went right by Duncan and passed off to wade shows that he has the skills to make Duncan look bad out there...the problem is he is never in a position to use those skills. All we let him do is shoot jumpers. I'd love to see him taking big men off the dribble and then either scoring or passing to a cutting D Wade or Bron. Instead he only gets to utilize his full skill set on a broken play and that is the problem with the offense IMO.
    Last edited by IKnowHoops; 06-10-2014 at 03:00 PM.

vCash
    Bosh is an elite PF. He didnt get much respect cus he's the 3rd best player, but he's one hell of a player. You cant average 24/11 without being good.
    [CENTER]

vCash

Chris Bosh getting high praise these days

Great article, thanks.

vCash
    i agree that Bosh is good, but I just think he's content with camping out and shooting 3's, and that's not the Bosh he should be on this team. unfortunately we don't get many bosh/bron p and r's, that would be ridiculous. hopefully the heat can get a PG who can run a team better than Lebron, and he and Bosh can become pure scorers. i still think his ability to shoot a 3 is extremely useful, i'd just like to see him take it to the hole more often.

vCash
    Nice read, it's good to see this about their forgotten, unsung hero.
    My Ignore list: Naps, bucketss, iknowhoops....

2014 Adopt a Packer
    Randall Cobb

Receptions:
    Yards:
    Tds:

vCash
    Good read, he has found his role and is playing it nicely, which is all the Heat need really.

vCash
    http://grantland.com/features/lebron...olved-offense/

Chris Bosh: The Disrupter

In 2010-11, the season in which Miami last lost a playoff series, the Heat ranked 25th in the NBA in assist percentage. By last season, they ranked 13th. And so far this season, they’re ranked second, assisting on 64 percent of their field goals.

Chris Bosh is one of the most frequent recipients of those assists,2 and according to James he is also the catalyst for many of the team’s key offensive actions. “Our offense is predicated through CB playing a lot of the high-post and 18-foot areas, knowing that he’s going to be played by a lot of 5s,” said James. “The centers in our league are always trying to protect the rim, and CB is always like our outlet on offense.”

Bosh gets a lot of open shots when defenders cheat off of him to double an attacker and that attacker gets the ball to Bosh in his sweet spot.

Bosh Chart

Bosh, who would be the primary scorer on many other NBA teams, has become one of the most efficient jump-shooting big men in the league. He made a ridiculous 53 percent of his shots from those areas between 16 and 24 feet last season (as a whole, the league shoots 38 percent there), a level of efficiency that demands defensive attention and forces opposing big men to rove far from the basket. In Miami, Bosh’s role as a scorer is secondary to his ability to set obstructive screens and disrupt the effectiveness of the opposition’s interior defense.

“It becomes a matchup problem,” James said. “Anytime you can bring one of the best defenders out of the paint — you know, like Roy Hibbert, Dwight Howard, Tyson Chandler, or any of these guys like Marc Gasol that protect the paint so well — that allows driving lanes for myself and D-Wade to come much easier.”

I've been hesitant to fully endorse Bosh but after reading that Kirk Goldsberry article I started to appreciate more the value of what his mid-range shooting does for the rest of the offense.

vCash
    Finally someone is praising Bosh for his defense. He might not seem like one, but he is a really great defender, heck thats why he leads Miami in +/- this year with +6.4, while LeBron is second with +5.1 or smth.

vCash
    I'd take him over any other 4 out there. Versatility on both sides of the ball.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BrandoCommando View Post
    I'd take him over any other 4 out there. Versatility on both sides of the ball.
    Interesting. If the Spurs and Miami swapped Duncan and Bosh, which team would be in a better position going forward?

vCash
    As he deserves.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jerellh528 View Post
    Nice read, it's good to see this about their forgotten, unsung hero.
    He definitely gets overlooked. It's the sacrifice he made to win. But it's undeniable that he's been way better this year than last. He's playing at a level (sans a few bad games) that even in his role make it hard to render him "unsung". Last year he really didn't play like anything more than an above average role player in the playoffs, and even the year before he was banged up and missed some time.

He talked about the importance of being efficient, and last year he was not. His TS% in these playoffs is 60.2%...last year it was 52.4% (well below his regular season career average). The three point shot has been huge. On that team, it's such an important weapon when playing next to LeBron...as we say in Game 2. He'll get you open looks all the time. You just have to hit them. And he is.

Again, I agree he gets overlooked because he's not putting up amazing counting numbers, but that's unfortunately just how it works. A lot of people only care about points, rebounds and assists...when there's so much more to things. But the praise is coming in more hot and heavy this year because it's just simply been more deserving. It's nice to see. Like I said, he's an easy guy to root for so it's nice to see him succeeding and especially nice to see him getting a lot of credit for it.

vCash
    I can never decide if he's overrated or underrated... my opinion on this changes daily.
    Quote Originally Posted by Larry Bird
    It doesn't matter who scores the points, it's who can get the ball to the scorer.
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael Jordan
    Talent wins games, but teamwork and intelligence wins championships.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast